Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #1 
awlred

Betta Resting on filter intake

Hi,
My Ruby betta is sleeping/resting on the intake flow for my sponge filter, he's still alive (gills are flowing and when I put my net in there he shot away from it. I'm a little concerned as I just changed the tank from a 10 liter to 60 liter and put a few corys and swordtails in with him. Everything else in there is active and happy but the betta is just weirdly resting on the intake.

Is this normal (ish) behavious or could it indicate some else wrong?
awlred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #2 
Meatpuppet

does he eat well? poo well?
does the betta have any hiding spots in the tank? (a cave, etc)
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #3 
okiemavis

Was this tank cycled before you added all those fish? What is the temp, water parameters, filtration etc?
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:05 AM   #4 
awlred

His appetite has been low since we got him about a month ago, and never acctually seen him poop. The tank was cycled for a week previously using part new water and part transfered water from doing 10% changes every couple of days from the old tank. I haven't tried the pea trick yet but will as soon as I get some peas. He has a few ornaments he can hide in and some plants near the corners which he seems to like hiding in. Considering its the first few days would having tank mates after being solitary so much be intimidating (if fish can have such complex psychology)

Temp is 77oF, filtration through a pumpthrough activated carbon jobby, as soon as I can get down to the petstore to get some more testing stuff I'll post it up
Old 05-12-2008, 03:21 AM   #5 
awlred

Ok Stats are:
NO3 - 25ppm
NO2 - 2ppm
GH - >16d
KH - 5d
pH - 7.0
NH4 - 0.1ppm
Old 05-12-2008, 04:23 AM   #6 

From readings you posted it would appear your tank has not cycled completely. Water from established aquarium holds very little beneficial bacteria needed for nitrification process. It would be better to use gravel from established aquarium or filter material from same. About all you can do is monitor ammonia readings and perform water changes any time they approach dangerous levels. you may or may not lose some fish.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #7 
awlred

ok, well I'm prepared for that, this is the first time I've set up a tropical aquarium so I'm prepared from the offset for a few losses, but, obviously I'd like to minimise it as much as possible. I'm watching him and he's a bit more active today swimming around and such so it might have been a bit of a shock going from a tiny tank on his lonesome to being in a 60l tank with some mates.

Will keep posted if anything changes, he's found a nice little nest inside some large leafed plants.