Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

Just in case you need to use it do you have aquarium salt and epsom salt on hands?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #22 
Gandalf

He is still on his side at the top. He seems to be moving a little now that I have turned off the filter. I did try to acclimate him but maybe I didn't do it right. Sorry, everyone I just don't know anything about fish or fish tanks. I love my betta but I'm sorry I got him & put him through so much & he is still hanging in there.
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #23 
Jexx

Honestly it doesn't really sound like you've done anything wrong. It could be there is just something wrong with him. Does he look bloated at all?
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #24 
Gandalf

He seems to be doing a little better since I turned off the filter. He is still staying at the top but moving more now. I'm still worried. Jexx, I had to order a thermometer for his tank from Amazon.com. Locally I was lucky to find one of the smaller tanks recommended on here.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #25 
waterdog

What you had is too strong a flow from the filter and he is just worn out from fighting it.
My best advice would be to get a sponge filter for your tank as soon as you can.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #26 
Gandalf

Thanks & thanks for the link! Will fix it as soon as I can. I just hope he makes it. Now I remember why I didn't get another betta after I lost my first one many years ago. I swore I wouldn't get another fish if I didn't know how & have everything I needed before I got it. My friend was only trying to be helpful with his gift. I hope I can become a good betta owner without losing Gandalf. Thank you all for your help & patience with a no fish knowledge person.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #27 
SunshineSulie

Don't beat yourself up, he may have been sick when you got him. IF that is the case and he was sick before you got him, he has had one of the most caring lives so far living with you.

Also, he may just be tired. Either way, don't beat yourself up. You are super kind and trying your best.
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #28 
Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
Honestly it doesn't really sound like you've done anything wrong. It could be there is just something wrong with him. Does he look bloated at all?
Jexx, he's not bloated. Sorry I missed your post earlier, for some reason I miss some of the posts until after I post. He seems to be doing a bit better now! At least he has moved his position & staying more upright than on his side! I hope this means he is improving & going to make it! I so appreciate your help & everyone here! To most people other than fish enthusiasts, he might only be an inexpensive fish & let him live or die with things as they are but I can't do that to any living creature that I take in to my house. I truly appreciate everyone's helpful attitude & no one telling me I shouldn't have a betta or other fish or any creature without researching & providing for it in advance with everything it needs. Normally that is how I do things but the friend just decided to get him for me & I love Gandalf even if I don't know about the care that he needs yet.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #29 
Jexx

I think waterdog was right. he was just exhausted from fighting the filter. you can put a filter sponge in front of the outflow to make it more tolerable for him when he recovers. What did you end up buying on the weekend when you got supplies for him?
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #30 
Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSulie View Post
Don't beat yourself up, he may have been sick when you got him. IF that is the case and he was sick before you got him, he has had one of the most caring lives so far living with you.

Also, he may just be tired. Either way, don't beat yourself up. You are super kind and trying your best.
Thank you for your very kind words! I love all living creatures except bugs & try to help them when needed & give them proper care. I hope Gandalf wasn't sick & I hope I haven't done anything to hurt him. Just want him to make it so I can continue to learn here how to give him the proper care he needs.