Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #41 
Corsica

How is he doing?
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #42 
MoBetta

Eats one or two tiny pieces a couple of times a day... Can't see well, so I have to really push him and the food together. He rests a lot. Swims a little. This little aquarium is working for him. I'm trying to make him comfy. I don't think there is any way I could do the clove thing now. He's such an old guy but still my little charmer.
MoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #43 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't blame you. He sounds pretty comfy, actually, and I'm sure he knows its about time. He's lived an incredibly long life for a betta and is likely just living out his last days with you until he's ready.

I'm actually shocked he's made it so long so it was probably a good idea not to use the clove oil. It sounded like he didn't have much time at all but obviously he's had more time than we expected.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #44 
dragonx47

Is he still hanging in there?
dragonx47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #45 
MoBetta

Still going! This Hikari food seems to sit well, I have to steer him to it but he eats a piece or two then. The little aquarium makes that easy but there is like a protein film on the water so I change it a lot. Wish he could withstand the 10 gallon but I don't think he could get to his food, and when I thought he was dying I emptied it, so it would need to be cycled, somehow, too. He doesn't want to go yet. I am fine with a little effort to feed him and clean him. My little pal : )
Old 05-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #46 
MoBetta

PS Thanks for asking. It meant the world to me to have someone care and give advice. I never had fish before and just felt lost.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #47 
Juditko

What a great job you've done for him! Lucky fish!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #48 
AyalaCookiejar

This honestly reminds me of my blind fish, Bahari. We assume his blindness was caused by genetics, his lethargy and chronic SBD also. I've had him since November and haven't expected him to live near this long. He has good and bad days. Most of the time he floats near the surface (SBD) and moves occasionally. He needs to be assisted in finding his food. But sometimes he sinks to the bottom, and sometimes seems reluctant to move. He floats vertically or stands on his tail at times (a bad sign that the end is usually near as it has something to do with the swim bladder not being regulated) and also at times seems to be gilling and gasping for air. I have not been able to diagnose anything specific (he is not that old) and have decided it must be bad genetics.

It seems like your guy has been given both a good home AND good genetics. My guy has been like this for awhile. We're both expecting the end to come soon but he could hold on for quite a long time like my guy has. In clean, warm tanks with good food, all we can do is adapt to what is now their "special needs". He will go when it is his time.

You've been blessed with many years with your betta and now you've been given time to say goodbye. I know it's hard because you don't know exactly how long that is, but I know you're still doing the best you can for him. They deserve it, even if they may not have much time or (like my guy) have special needs and are unlike other bettas.

I know that some day, soon or not, both of our boys will be swimming together under the rainbow bridge. Although they can't be replaced, it will make for two new opportunities for two other fish to have good homes.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #49 
Jexx

I am SO HAPPY to hear that he is still going!!! This really is amazing!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #50 
Corsica

Glad he is still doing well!
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote