Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #1 
stellar981

Question Does it matter what kind of snail?

I have a five gal and ten gal, both with a single betta in them. I want to add a snail or two to the 10 gal, and possibly one also in the 5 gal. My question is - I stop in Petsmart, and other local stores who sell fish - and there are many types of snails. Does it matter what type I get to go with my Betta? I really like shrimp also - but I dont want to chance them getting eaten :( So are there any snails I should avoid, any I should look for? Do I need to feed them, or do they live off tank debri? I assume they also need to be acclimated? Any info you can provide is very appreciated. Thanks in advance!
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

The type of snail somewhat depends on what you want to accomplish. Mystery Snails will do certain things while nerite snails eat a completely different kind of algae. Assassin snails will eat other snails, Malaysian Trumpet snails dig through your substrate. Yes, you do usually have to provide them with additional food such as the occasion veggie and algae wafer. I have Mystery & Nerite snails primarily but I have had hitch hikers of MTS & Ramshorn snails. Also, do you want them to breed? If not then one mystery snail & some nerites would probably be perfect.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #3 
stellar981

Well... I guess the main reason is for algae, I've gotten quite a bit lately. I have seen mystery snails around, nerite however doesn't sound familiar. So if I get a mystery snail, I should only get one. Are they one of the types that are both sexes or something? And it only takes two to make many? I think I read that on here once. I guess one is a good start, I can probably find a mystery snail easily. I do NOT want to breed them! :) I honestly do not know what an algae wafer is.. this is all new to me. What kind should I buy for a snail, and how often would I feed? Also - should I QT (how long) and acclimate? Sorry, these are likely stupid questions - but I want to do it right.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

Nerite snails are the best snails for algae, imo. My nerite snails are great algae eaters. I had to look for them, though. I couldn't find them in Petco or Petsmart, and I had to call a few different pet stores/lfs before I found a place that sells them. I got two olive nerites, and then a month or so later I was in Petco and they had zebra nerites, so I got one of those, too.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Mystery Snails must have a male & a female snail BUT females can lay eggs for up to 6 months after they're exposure to a male. The eggs are easily cleaned off. The Nerite snails are difficult to find & usually you have to find a private breeder either locally or have them shipped. Nerites won't hatch in freshwater, they may still lay eggs but the eggs won't hatch.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #6 
stellar981

Thanks for your responses. I don't think I'm going to have any luck finding them locally. I called/visited some stores today, half of which didnt even know what they were! Does anyone here have any idea where I could order them from? And how many should i order for a ten and five gal? What kind of algae wafers do you recommend?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

I had to do an Internet search to find them. You have to make sure you're getting freshwater ones & not saltwater. I got mine from here http://bobstropicalplants.com/home/ it just so happened he was local to me. I hate to pay shipping for anything if I can help it. I would do maybe 2 in a 5g, I only have 1 in my 5.5g but I have a mystery snail in there as well & I have 3-4 nerites in my 10g tanks & one mystery snail in each tank.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #8 
stellar981

So I was able to find some Nerite snails at a local Aquarium shop. I was so excited - I hate the idea of having them shipped. Anyway - I ended up getting two Zebra, one Red Spot and one Olive (according to that site you posted). They are so neat! I love searching for them. And when they are on the side of the tank, you can see their little mouths opening :) I put three of them in my 10 gal, and 1 in my 5 gal. I was thinking about also grabbing one mystery snail for each tank, also - at some point.

I really hope my bettas don't attack them. I saw on another thread that someone's betta attacked and killed her snail :( I don't want to see that!! Which is why I am avoiding the shrimps! The guy at the store told me a QT was not necessary, that they do not carry diseases - I hope he was right!!? They seem very knowledgeable there.. He also told me however - that the algae in my tank should be enough and that I dont need to feed them. I am not sure how I feel about that. I don't want to starve them! I also JUST did a full clean of my tank - removing all algae from most surfaces. So there doesn't seem to be much in there! What do you suggest as far as feeding, should I ignore what he said and buy algae wafers? If so, HOW do I feed them? Without my betta eating their food? Any snail care tips, are very appreciated!! I have no idea what I am doing :) Thanks all!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

YAY! So glad you found some. Each of my tanks has a Mystery snail with Nerites. I had two tanks that green algae I couldn't get rid of & those Nerites did a bang up job. I drop an algae wafer once a week at mostl, I don't drop them often because I want to make sure they eat the tank algae & the ONLY way to keep your Betta from eating it? Well . . . there's no fool proof way. I've dropped the wafers after feeding Mr. Betta or distracting him so he doesn't see the wafer fall & after lights out but I think they almost always munch on the wafer. You also need to make sure you supply some calcium for shell growth & strength.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #10 
stellar981

Ohh, good to know! Do LPSs carry the calcium supplements? I never even thought of that. I will grab some algae wafers tonight then also, and feed one, once per week. Is one ok no matter how many snails? So for the tank with three and the tank with one snail, one wafer per week? Sorry - just don't want to over/under feed. Another LPS had some red mystery snails. I may have to go grab a couple of those soon. They were pretty cool looking! Who would have thought I would have been so amused by snails!! :)