Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #11 
shellieca

You can feed veggies for calcium - kale, cucumber, etc. or you can get cuttle bone which is found in the bird section, its the white thing birds chew on for the beaks I believe. I wouldn't worry about dropping an algae wafer for a week or two but the tank with 1 nerite I would only drop 1/4 or 1/2 a wafer. I will add, I have not seen my nerites eating an algae wafer but that's not to say they don't when I'm not looking. If you get the Mystery snails, then drop a whole wafer in each tank, they LOVE the wafers. I started with Mystery Snails & instantly fell in love with them.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #12 
stellar981

It's funny you mention cuttle bones, because I also have birds! So I currently have some at home! I just don't know if I should use them, I was doing some reading and it said it will raise the alkalinity. And my water is already hard (pH 7.6). I don't want to kill the betta. Do you think this could raise the pH enough to harm the betta?
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #13 
OrangeAugust

I have so much algae in my tank that I don't feed my snails anything extra. lol. But if you just cleaned all the algae out of your tank, you might want to give them an algae wafer until your tank algae grows back.
Be careful of Mystery snails because that's the kind that my betta attacked. They could care less about the nerites because they pretty much just look like gliding rocks- they don't really stick out of their shells much. But the mystery snails stick out of their shells and lumber around and I think that's what drew my betta's attention.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #14 
stellar981

Ohh ok. Good to know. I think I will wait a while and see how this goes, since they are so new to me. I may never get the mystery snails. Or maybe only for my less aggressive betta's tank. One of my nerites seems to stick out more than the others - the olive one. His "visible" body seems bigger. Hopefully my fish leaves him alone!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #15 
isochronism

I did get four Nerite snails online. One with my male Betta and three in my Tetra, Rasbore, Danio tank. (their shells are beautiful) I did however, get a few baby pond snails hiding in with a big Java Fern. After two months I still see a new baby in my Betta tank and remove it with a turkey baster. They are all housed in their own big slurpy type cup. I feed them an algae wafer and clean their water two times a week. I must have five dozen now!!!!! I don't want them!!!!! They are God's creatures so I care for them...... :) What can I do with them??
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #16 
isochronism

meant: I still see a new baby in my Betta tank........
"about everyday" What can I do with these?? Is there some sort of pond snail rescue society??? HA
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #17 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar981 View Post
It's funny you mention cuttle bones, because I also have birds! So I currently have some at home! I just don't know if I should use them, I was doing some reading and it said it will raise the alkalinity. And my water is already hard (pH 7.6). I don't want to kill the betta. Do you think this could raise the pH enough to harm the betta?
I don't think it takes much of the cuttle bone. I would brake off a small piece & see what impact it has. If you don't want to use cuttle bone. Personally I prefer liquid calcium to anything else but I do feed a veggie from time to time.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #18 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I don't think it takes much of the cuttle bone. I would brake off a small piece & see what impact it has. If you don't want to use cuttle bone. Personally I prefer liquid calcium to anything else but I do feed a veggie from time to time.
Oh really? You just put the liquid calcium right into the water?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #19 
shellieca

Yep. Someone had told me about it so I bought a jug (much too large jug) of it & I try to add some to the tanks 2-3 times a week but I'm not very vigilent about it. She had told me to add it daily but I don't.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #20 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Yep. Someone had told me about it so I bought a jug (much too large jug) of it & I try to add some to the tanks 2-3 times a week but I'm not very vigilent about it. She had told me to add it daily but I don't.
Ahh ok, I will have to look into that! Do they sell it in the fish section, or would this be something I find at a Drug store?