Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #1 
I'm Betta Than U

My 2.5 Gallon Tank.

Hey! I'm new here so I just wanted to give this thing a try. Looks interesting so far.
Anyway, I'm a new Betta Fish owner of 2. I have a 2.5 Gallon Tank that has 2 dividers. So, in other words, I can have up to 3 Betta in there safely divided.
Now I have gravel, a plant for each section, a heater factory set to 78F, and a small light. Ok now I have 2 questions.
1. Is a 2.5 Gallon Tank w/ dividers sufficient room for my Betta?
2. One of my Betta is always flaring up at its reflection. Will that stress the fish to the point that it can exhaust itself and die?
I'm Betta Than U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #2 
Neo

ok to your first question, No that is not enough room, not in my opinion, 5 gallon for each at least ,and to your second question, yes flaring too much can kill the fish if it gets stressed out enough
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #3 
It'sJames

Dividing a ten gallon tank would be much better. They're only about $10-12 at most pet stores. Your fish will be happier, and you'll have more room to work with. A lot of bettas will flare at their reflection, it just depends on how much he does it. If he's like being obbsessive, and is constantly flaring, he's probably stressed out. But it's just something males do... Is it two males you're keeping together (divided of course).
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #4 
It'sJames

Are you sure he's flaring at his reflection and not the other betta? Putting in a divider that they cannot see one another through would probably alleviate some stress.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #5 
I'm Betta Than U

My 2.5 Gallon Tank.

Well he looks at the side that the other fish is not on so I don't believe it has anything to do with that. And I have the middle section empty so they're kind of a distance away.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #6 
Jasey

A 2.5 might be survivable for 1 betta, but definitely not 3. As far as the flaring problem, putting a dark, neutral background on the tank could help.
Jasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:01 AM   #7 
I'm Betta Than U

My 2.5 Gallon Tank.

Did u get to see my tank. I'm gonna get another one like it if not a 5 gallon tank. But I'll just keep the dividers out of it.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #8 
Jasey

Re: My 2.5 Gallon Tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Betta Than U
Did u get to see my tank. I'm gonna get another one like it if not a 5 gallon tank. But I'll just keep the dividers out of it.
I did see the pic of your tank in the other thread. I would say one 2.5 tank for each betta would be sufficient, and a 5 gallon for each even better. And you'll have to get another heater for the second one you get. But I think that would make your fish a lot happier - I have a 2.5 gallon tank just like that and only 1/3 of it for them to use is rather small.
Jasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #9 
Blaxicanlatino

success can be achieved in a 2.5 gallon tank but... they will only be LIVING rather than thriving in happiness. 8)
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #10 
okiemavis

I'd recommend getting a 5 or 10 gallon, instead of another small one. Water parameters are much more stable in a larger tank, and you'll have an easier time cycling it.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote