Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #1 
thekinetic

Algea help

Ok so my 5 gallon tank has algea and it usually wouldn't be a big deal getting rid of it but the tank contains both a mossball (lol I put it in there to help the algea problem >.<) and assassin snails. So yeah my usual pond snails won't work due to the assassins and I can't use any algea killers because of the aforementioned.

Anyone know what to do? I can scrub it off the glass sure enough but then it's also on the decor and gravel.

Last edited by thekinetic; 12-30-2012 at 09:57 AM.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #2 
Phaydra

You have a couple options.
1) Limit the light the tank gets till the algae dies but unless you fix the problem it will happen again

2) Buy a fast growing plant/s to out compete the algae (Moss Balls are not
enough)
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #3 
thekinetic

I do limit the light and what some fast growing plants....besides anacharis it gets too big.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #4 
Phaydra

Hornwort
You can get Anubias in many different sizes
Java Ferns
Java Moss
Frogbit
Dwarf Water Lettuce
Watersprite

You have many options. Everything I listed is low to moderate light and require no co2 injections.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

How many assassins do you have? Java fern and java moss are really slow growing plants, including anubias. I recommend floaters, I hear that most grow quickly. What about some duckweed? It grows really quick, the fish also like to hide in it's "stem".
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #6 
Phaydra

Duckweed can be a pain in the rear because of it's size. Gets everywhere. Frog bit and dwarf water lettuce are floaters that are fast growers. They are much easier to prune then duckweed. Anubias I wouldn't consider a slow grower. My plants put out new leaves every two weeks. They aren't as fast as the Floaters/Hornwort but faster then Java ferns/moss.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

I guess it's small but I actually like it that way. Not sure on you, Kinetic. lol Thanks for the new plant info, though! I wish I had my own NPT.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #8 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I guess it's small but I actually like it that way. Not sure on you, Kinetic. lol Thanks for the new plant info, though! I wish I had my own NPT.
I love the way the roots on Dwarf Water Lettuce and Frogbit look once they grow out. It's like a small surface jungle and my bettas love playing in it. Subwassertang is a slow grower as well but I love the rounded leaf look it takes on. Mine has finally filled out in the 40g. Takes longer for my betta tanks to achieve the same full look. I would recommend this plant as well just because it really looks nice. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread but I could talk npt all day if you let me.

Last edited by Phaydra; 12-30-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #9 
Laki

I have salvinia as a floater. It grows so fast and the roots grow down creating a nice top-tank jungle for them to swim around. And if you have goldfish or turtles who eat live plants, you can keep them pruned pretty well.

My anubias grows every week and a half too, plus I also have 2 java ferns growing babies, a hornwort, marimo moss and one stem of hygro which I'm trying to grow back. I did limit my lighting from like 14-15 hours a day (when I wasn't keeping track) to about 11.5 hours a day. I have noticed significant decreases in algae growth.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #10 
Myates

Moss balls really don't do anything for algae.. some members here believe they do, but honestly, they don't.
Assassin snails don't eat algae.. they eat other snails.. need common snails like mystery snails and trumpet snails to eat the algae.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote