Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #1 
DoctorWhoLuver

Betta Sometimes Eat

I've noticed this with my new Aquabid boys and the Tiny Yellow Submarine. I feed all my fish New Life Spectrum pellets and the amount usually vary based on the fish's size. Tiny refuses to eat more than 2 NLS pellets, and he's a pretty big fish. Which sometimes worries me.

Castiel sometimes will eat 4 NLS pellets like he's been starved his whole life, and at other times, he will slowly chew up his pellet spit it back and eat it, or not eat at all. The same is for Jericho. This is not a recent discovery. Periods of chowing down and refusing to eat vary. I have definitely seen them eat before and will chow down bloodworms, but I really would like to keep them on a healthier diet.

My assumption is that they were fed live food back at their old home. I put a bucket of green water outside in hope that some mosquitoes would lay their eggs there.

Could the NLS pellets also be too old? I've only had them for about 2-3 months though. However, my dog has eaten half the container and there was some dog spit in there. I tried to clean most of it out though I may have missed some. Could this affect their behavior in any way?
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #2 
sainthogan

My male only eats 1 or 2 pellets before he swims off and hides. My female would eat until she bursts if I let her. She'll easily eat 4 or 5 in one sitting and then go and search the gravel in case she missed some.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

Lol yeah. It worries me sometimes though. Jericho has not eaten in 2 days and is a little clamped up. He's always been a bit clamped up ever since I got him.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #4 
LizbethDawn

My Castiel (I think we have three now lol) would eat until he exploded.
Some days Gannicus, my other male, will eat two pellets and run off so I drop a couple on top of his log and he eats them later.
Lilith is kind of a derp and her food either has to fall or be pointed to for her to see it but she would eat until she burst too.
Mary I've never actually seen eat which worries me but she doesn't look either thin or bloated and she's still on flakes/crushed pellets because she's smaller than everyone else.
Some fish are just weird.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #5 
DoctorWhoLuver

Lol. Thanks, that reassured me :)
I have a Lilith too x] Supernatural?
Old 06-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #6 
LizbethDawn

Oh yes lol My Lilith has earned her name the brat >_<
My dog had puppies today and if they had been two boys they would have been Sam and Dean. I'm bad at names so I rely on tv shows I like.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #7 
DoctorWhoLuver

Lol. I love Supernatural.
Sam and Dean would have been perfect names for two puppies :) What did you end up naming them?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #8 
LizbethDawn

They don't have names yet. I mean they could still be Sam and Dean because one is a boy and one is a girl and Sam is a name that could go either way but I may just wait to name them.