Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #11 
MoonShadow

It definitely looks like tail biting to me! A lot of times these guys with the long heavy fins with chew on them to make them lighter and easier to haul around. Make sure to keep his water nice and clean, tail biters always run that risk of possible infection. Clean water should help eliminate that risk. Feeding him a high protein diet (supplement his pellets with frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms 3 meals a week) will also help his fins grow back faster
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #12 
Cliffy

Sounds good to me! Thanks, MoonShadow, for your incite!

Do you have any clue if there is a cleaner, less messier way of feeding frozen brine shrimp to my little guy?
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #13 
MoonShadow

How have you been feeding them? I thaw a cube in a cup of hot water and then feed it to my guys with an eye dropper.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #14 
Artemis

Ya that would be him molting. Ghosties eat anything really. Betta pellets is what I feed mine. Give them lots of spots if there is a "predator" they will be stressed. I have one fake plant with mine because it has a lot of leaves and no other fish. When in with my betta/goldies, they hid all day and night. They like fake plants with gravel hollowed out underneath. A good container would be any tupperware without a lid that has water about 2-3 inches from the surface so they won't jump.

http://www.petshrimp.com/glassshrimp.php
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #15 
Cliffy

MoonShadow - I would put warm water in a small cup to thaw it and give him bits off my finger. I wouldn't give him the whole thing though 'cuz it seemed like way too much for him to eat. Don't want to overfeed him.

Artemis - There are 2 fake plants (pretty big) and a tree stump that you can swim into. Just saw my betta go in a few times to swim in and out of. If the ghosties are hiding in there, they're hiding pretty good 'cuz I haven't seen him attack any.
But he does nip at them when he does see them. This is normal behavior to act as the 'king' or 'dominant one' in the tank?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #16 
Cliffy

I just saw him kill a ghost shrimp.

I'm not sure if the other 2 remaining are hiding or is already dead.

So... I guess they're not compatible friends. :(
Old 04-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #17 
Artemis

It depends on the fish. I had them with Rossi and he was fine but they go stressed. My other two males killed the ones with them (Finn gets any ones that die and enjoys them very much) and I haven't tried with Persephone yet as any betta will stress them.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #18 
Cliffy

Ah.. yeah, true.

If my betta didn't do well with ghosties, I shouldn't dare getting any other company then? I'm afraid he'll get bored because I can't always give him lots of attention.