Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #11 
justmel

Thank you jessan & everyone else! I think I have figured it out, on this thread there's a pic that could be Blanca's twin

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....21#post1664321

It's a female HMPKEE, so I am really thinking that is what I have. Comparing all the pics I've gotten to see of the males & this one of a female with Blanca make me believe she is most likely a girl as her fins and everything look most like the female I found pictured by elsewhere.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #12 
Fenghuang

I still think your plakat is a male. Pigg's (the female plakat you linked to, which isn't an EE btw) fins are shorter and more rounded. Your betta has an extremely pointed anal fin and longer ventrals, which most girls don't have. And I don't really know how to explain it, but your betta just has a male body shape. Maybe some more pictures (curtsey of Aquabid) would help?

Females:

Males:

Last edited by Fenghuang; 04-06-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #13 
alunjai

I think its a male HMPKEE. I have one very similar but mine is grey where yours is showing red. When I bought him I was told he was a female but when I put it in the sorority with 3 other females they started picking on him. I only realised he was a male when I placed him in a jar next to other males they started flaring at each other.
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #14 
justmel

Wow Fenghaug! Thank you for going through the effort to find all these pics for me to compare with. I've looked at Aquabid, but still trying to find my way around that site. Looking at these does make me lean more towards boy again. Blanca does have an anal fin more like the males pictured & her ventral look like that last males. Never before had a male that would not flare at other boys, but this one could be different.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #15 
Fenghuang

No problem, I practically sit on that site all day. xD Some males are really mellow and it takes a lot of effort to get them to fully flare. But flaring isn't really a definite sign of being male anyway, since females flare too.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #16 
percyfyshshelley

Ok male or female I don't know, but omg those aquabid fish! The last one!!! And justmel, you have a gorgeous fish as well!
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #17 
justmel

Yes, I should have thought of it all before. I knew Petco messed up when they label her as a VT and sold her for $3 that they might have got more wrong. It never crossed my mind until I put her in a sorority, which ended up having to be broke up. Since then I've been trying to figure her out. If it turns out Blanca is a male does it look like (s)he'd be breedable. I know a better picture of her flared would be better to judge by, but with these pics can anyone see anything wrong with this betta? I got lucky enough getting an EE at that price, it'd be pushing my luck to get one from the LPS I could breed too. Still, I guess I may be in the market for a mate for this betta. Besides an EE what can EE's be breed with? I'm guessing HM, PK, & maybe HMPK?
Old 04-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #18 
Fenghuang

All tail/fin types can be bred with other tail/fin types. There's nothing biologically different about them; they're all the same, all one species and breed. One comparison between a regular pectoral fish and an EE pectoral fish would be like having two of the same breed of dog, one being a short hair and one being a long hair. It's just that the EE trait is extremely recessive so you would want to breed two EEs rather than an EE and a regular for a better chance of getting more.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #19 
justmel

Yes, I think I've figured that part out. If I'm understanding things correctly, if I breed this EE with a HM the fry would be debatable because both are recessive traits. But if I take an offspring from that spawning and breed it with my EE I would likely get some EE fry & if I breed some of that batch of fry with a HM I would get some HM fry. Then I would need to take a fry from each of those batches & breeding them together should lead to some HMEE fry.

My daughter just looked at me & said 'huh'? when I tried to explain it, but I know what I mean and I think by f3 I would have HMEE's. I was asking about types I could breed with because I know that some, like RT's have issues that could arise with breeding. I also want to make sure any fish I breed are desirable by other. I have 16 bettas already. I'm reaching my limit. Personally I won't be doing a lot of culling, unless its for the fish benefit, so if I breed a lot of weird looking bettas I don't want to think how many I might end up with! lol
Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #20 
Fenghuang

I think you might be confusing EE with a tail type. The EE trait doesn't have anything to with what tail type you get as far as I know. There could be HMEE, PKEE, HMPKEE, DeTEE, DTEE, VTEE, CTEE, etc; although, you do see the PKEE, HMEE, and HMPKEE more (but that is simply because that is what most breeders go for). Whether you'll get HMs or not will depend on what tail type "Bianca" is (looks like a HM or a DeT) and what tail type you breed him/her with.