Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #1 
bannlow2471

Quarantine and tank dividers

Ok help me out here.

Question #1: how long should a new Betta be in QT before going into a divided tank?

Question #2: has anyone used those mesh dividers successfully? I just got one and it seems pretty flimsy to me.

Thanks for any feedback!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #2 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

um i can only answer number one but about a week is good in my oppinion
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #3 
eemmais

1. Two weeks
2. Many people on this site (including me) use home made dividers. If yours seem flimsy I would use silicon. That's how I secured mine.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #4 
jadaBlu

You could use these:

http://ezscreenprint.com/plasticcanvas6pack-1-1.aspx

I am sewing mine to a bigger size with fishing line. Peaple take report folder clips glue them to the side of the tank with aquarium silicon and slide the divider into the clips and bury the bottoms in gravel. I am sure if you go on Youtube you will find a tutorial. I gather the ones already made for this are verry flimsy.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #5 
bannlow2471

Thanks for the responses ... I am not great at DIY projects so we'll see. On another note, for those of you with divided tanks I am wondering how it works with the filter and heater. Are there problems with this in terms of them functioning properly and such? Also what if the two fish like different temps? Suma, my new female half moon prefers her water to stay about 80 but the baby prefers about 78. Any warmer and he's up at the top of the tank at the water's surface trying to cool off.

I thought this would be a pretty simple thing ... but now I'm not so sure. I'm wondering whether I'd be better off just getting two five gallons instead. Thoughts? Am I overthinking this?
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #6 
SunshineSulie

If you have a female and male, they shouldn't be in the same tank, even with dividers.
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #7 
eemmais

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSulie View Post
If you have a female and male, they shouldn't be in the same tank, even with dividers.
Why not?
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

Actually it's fine. Some people get worried about egg-binding due to the male releasing hormones and the female getting all eggy, but even if she does get eggy, egg-binding it extremely rare and is very unlikely to be an issue.

My only problem with a male-female combination with the female jumping the divider and getting all flirty with the boy, but he had no idea what she was on about so they ended up just snuggling in a plant together.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #9 
SunshineSulie

I have always heard bad things about it, and when my friend did it, they both seemed agitated, not in a good "lets get it on" way, in a nervous way.

I have never done it and I am not an expert... I guess you can listen to whomever you want to, they're your bettas. :)
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #10 
Blue Fish

I've heard for and against males and females together. I've never done it, so I can't give any personal rec's. :(

The craft mesh dividers are about as easy as you can get, I promise you can do it, even if you're not crafty. :)
As for the store-bought dividers...I used those once years and years ago and they didn't fit the sides of the tank snugly enough, and two boys got together and killed each other. So...I'm not a fan of the ones sold in stores. :(

Here's a link to the DIY version that has held up for me for a year so far with no problems. :)
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote