Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Could "old" tank water be used to help cycle a tank?

I am looking at this from the standpoint that if you take water that you are cleaning out of a tank that contains beneficial bacteria, fish waste and possible some food that it would would help cycle a tank faster. It's going to into a divided tank so the fish will share water and the fish I have in mind are healthy that I am changing the water from. Am I right that this should help? The tank is going to have sponge filters in it.
jadaBlu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It would help, but it would be more helpful to run the new filters in the established tank for a couple weeks.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

There isn't much room to add more. I could just take the filters out of my current 2 gallons tanks which don't have to be filtered and use them right?
jadaBlu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #4 
Melodica

I actually started my first tank by using water from my fiance's established 29g. I have been using that method since and my boys are doing great. I'm not sure it's the BEST method, but it's worked for me.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

The water barely contains any BB, so it won't make much of a difference - at Matts said, filters are a much better source of BB, as is gravel or any decorations from the established tank.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #6 
kyle89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
There isn't much room to add more. I could just take the filters out of my current 2 gallons tanks which don't have to be filtered and use them right?
Part of a old filter could be removed an put in the new tank with a new filter.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #7 
dude

Something I have done to get new tanks and filters cycled more quickly is to take out the filter sponge of an established filter and put it in a 1/2 bucket of tank water as I would to clean it and wring it out with the new filter sponge in the bucket, get the new filter sponge full of the dirty water and rub the 2 sponges together. Put the new filter straight into the new tank and run it straight away. Hopefully some of the bacteria will get in the new sponge. It doesn't always work but you can cycle within a week if it does.

Another option is to cut some sponge from the old filter, cut the same size from the new one and swap. This is easier if the new filter is the same as the old one.

Although BB is not generally floating aound in the water it doesn't hurt to use old tank water and bacteria will be on a lot of surfaces on objects in an old tank so if there's a rock or just a handful of gravel or even the heater in the old tank is likely to have some bacteria on it, you could put all these in the new tank to help cycle quickly.

I have often wondered why it is not more common for fish shops to sell filter media that has been cycled or at least some of those small ceramic tubes that they could put in their sump filters behind the display and sell for seeding BB in a new tank. From my experience of moving house they would survive a short car journey and could potentially cut weeks off the time it takes to cycle a tank.
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #8 
kyle89

The risk of transferring diseases and infections is believe why they can't. Its too much of a risk with the amount of fish that come and go
Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #9 
dude

Yeah I've heard that but the water the fish come in, the fish themselves and plants etc all come with the same potential problems.
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #10 
kyle89

That's why plants and everything should be quartined before put into a tank. One Betta isn't as big as a risk with someone setting up a 55+ gallon tank with multiple fish