Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it. You aren't helping the op, just posting extremely rude and snarky comments. Please either post a polite and civil response (remember the bettafish.com rules?) or don't post at all. Reported.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #12 
logisticsguy

Hmm registered user wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Not going to report you but that was rude and uncalled for imo.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #13 
Esahc

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
hmmm, I wonder why?

Get your own life.
My living arrangement has absolutely no bearing on how quickly I can reprogram a computer or how well I can research pet care, thanks. There's no shame in minimizing my student debt.
Esahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #14 
registereduser

But you understand that this is why your parents don't give a hoot about your fish advice? If I were you I wouldn't speak unless asked about the koi pond, they might get worse.

Blunt is not rude, people.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #15 
SunnyBettaGirl

I think it's okay to live at home. Just not okay if you sit in front of your computer all day...every day...24/7, 365 :)
SunnyBettaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #16 
logisticsguy

RU. You are being blunt and rude. So let me be blunt..your being an idiot today. Just blunt right.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #17 
Esahc

I can see where you're coming from, the whole "lives at home and therefore a child thing." It's something I've had issues with before, and still do. But this is a separate issue and a particularly irritating one. It's this idea that the whole Internet isn't a credible source, that the store employees are infallible, and that any stranger off the street is a more reliable source that the person you trust to cook your food and clean your house and fix your ridiculously old computers. Take a step back and forget I'm their daughter for a second, there is no logic to this line of thought.

There is blunt, and there is antagonistic. Honesty, you need to try harder if you're trying to start something.

But that's not the point of this thread. I was just interested in other people's trials and tribulations when parents/aunts/uncles unintentionally abuse their fish.
Esahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #18 
Luimeril

:I ru, i live at home. rent and job free. and my mother listens to my pet advice. heck, i prompted her to do her own research on the bearded dragon my sister's fiance bought, that we're going to lizard sit while she finishes her military duty in two years.

so, living at home, rent free is NOT the reason OP's parents won't listen to her.

if anything, it's because they're stubborn older people, stuck in their ways, convinced the pet store people are giving proper advice because they sell them.

which we know isn't true.

OP, why don't you try pullling up a care sheet or breeder's page, and calling your parents over. "hey, Mom. Dad. check this out. this website says they need this..." then pull up another. "Oh, this one says the same thing!"

that's what got Ma to talk sister's fiance into getting Spazz something other than the sand for his tank. so many websites said not to use it, so it must be bad, right? :V
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #19 
SunshineSulie

What are your parents passionate about? Admit that you know absolutely nothing in comparison to what they know. Then say the same about your passion for bettas.

Passion leads to knowledge, and if someone doesn't care, they won't learn unless they have a reason to care. You'll be the reason to care. Just point it out that way. Worked with my mom.

I have a similar situation (college student, live in dorms, go home sometimes, leaving for Alaska for 5 months, training my mom to care for Sunshine, my betta girl).
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #20 
percyfyshshelley

Esahc, nothing wrong with living at home while you're a student, IMO, not that that was what you were even asking about lol. It was never for me, but I do have a ridiculously large student debt now. lol.
Anyway, to your original question... I don't have a good solution for you... That's the way they are and it's hard to change people. Maybe others have better ideas than I do. But it's hard to change people's minds. I mean, I work at a job where people pay to get my professional advice, and many still don't take it! I try to explain the reasons why I am giving certainr recommendations; that is, my advice is based on facts, and not just something I'm making up out of the blue. Sigh. So good luck to you and certainly do what you can to prevent outright abuse, and try not to get too frustrated.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote