Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #31 
justmel

Last week my mom adopted my DT, Mani. He died 2 days after moving him to her bedroom. I don't believe she did a thing, he had been acting just a little funny for a couple days prior, but nothing really seemed to be wrong. Now I am watching Mr. Fish closely. They shared a divided tank for awhile & he's doing the same thing Mani did, just not acting quite right. I also rehomed my HM, Thor, over the weekend with one of my daughters friends. In a couple weeks I will be sending 2 of my VT's to a user who want to work on a line of giant VTs! Can't wait to see what developed there.

I've finally decided myself that I want to work on a line of giants as well. I have a long way to go, but once I get a good giant line going I've been thinking I may try and work on giant HMs or giant EEs, maybe even giant HMEEs. I've just got to figure out how the extra finnage might affect the giants since I generally see them as PKs. I may just go with HMPKEEs.

I also picked up what I will call my first rescues this weekend. I've brought home the occasional starving betta, ones with SBD, or fins that needed a bit of healing, but nothing serious. Anyone with a basic knowledge with betta care should have been able to help those I've brought home in the past. This weekend I stopped at what used to be my regular pet store & I haven't been in in a couple weeks. I looked at the bettas because they were busy & I wanted to talk to someone (I've been avoiding the betta section so I wouldn't be tempted to bring anyone home). Anyway, I noticed a beautiful bettas swimming in their large plant tank. I watched him for awhile & Brad (my fiance) walked to the other side of the tank. He looked at me and said 'There's 2 more in here.' He knows enough to know that unless its females they CANNOT be put together. I rushed to the other side (this is a wide, short tank. 40-50 gallons) and sure enough, to males that kept flaring and fighting, then retreating to separate corners and watching each other. These two were pretty tore up and tired from fighting. I sat there shaking & sick to my stomach trying to figure out how to talk Brad into letting me bring them all home. Finally, ready to cry, I just asked. I couldn't leave them there & I think he knew how close the tears were for these poor babies. He allowed me to get 2 of them because if I removed 2 the 3rd would get peace from fighting too.

I got the sales person back to remove them. I didn't want to hear their excuses or anything, so I just kept my mouth shut, but he explained the situation while he caught them anyway. They have 3 of these tanks kind of stacked together, one a little higher than the next, and the water flows from one to the next through holes in the side of the tank. I was told that the person to released the bettas must not have realized that whatever fish you put in one tank end up being washed to the next tank, and then the next, until they are all in the bottom tank. Originally 1 bettas was put in each tank and they washed together into the bottom one. My question is, if that's the case why didn't they fix the problem when they saw it? All three males were still alive, so I suppose there is the chance I was the first to notice it.

On Saturday I brought home the best & worst looking of the three. I isolated them so they wouldn't have to even look at another male and slowly drip acclimated the to AQ salt over night. I notice the most tore up one had some sort of fungus growing around the wounded ends of his caudal (real fuzzy, like the dead ones you see in little cups in some pet stores), and the one that managed to hide had scraped a lot of his scales off, but only had 1 tear in his caudal. I lost my poor tore up boy over night. I knew there was a good chance of internal injuries and all, but it still hit me real hard. I keep trying to make myself feel better by telling myself that at least during his last few hours he was safe and no one attacked him.

When I took him back the 3rd guy from the tanks was still swimming around, so I wasted no time in bringing him home. He has a case of fin rot, but he's very feisty & active. I really thin he's got the best chance right now. I am very happy to be able to say that both are still swimming around this morning and have started building bubble nests to mark their territory. I know that them still swimming this morning doesn't mean they are fine, but I am hopeful. The orange boy is not eating & the other ate 1 pellet, but I will give them time & keep trying to tempt them with frozen treats & food soaked in garlic juice.

Here's some pictures. The first is my poor boy that didn't make it. :(
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote