Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #1 
pablo27

Unhappy Help.. possible internal parasite?

Hey all.. I thought my poor Betta was constipated but now I think he has some sort of parasite.. I figured I'd ask here since Im not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to this..

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g, cycled
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.. he doesn't play well with others (that goes for any fish/frog/shrimp.. very territorial).

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, TetraBetta pellets, Brine Shrimp Gel Mix and the occasional pea. I switch it up from time to time to keep him guessing.

How often do you feed your betta fish? Once or twice a day with a day of fasting every week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His stomach was slightly swollen.. nothing like the dropsy pictures either. His scales don't "pinecone" or anything so I think dropsy can be ruled out. This symptom seems temporary.. fasting him gets rid of the big stomach.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I haven't noticed any change at all. He is still active and hungry.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few days ago after his breakfast time feeding. I gave him his normal food (3-4 pellets, the same amount I've been feeding him for about 8 months), and an hour later I noticed the bloating. I fasted him for a day and fed him a pea the following day.. and his stomach was enlarged again from simply eating the pea. I know my female bettas tend to get a little chubby after eating but I have never noticed this on my male. The day after I fed him the pea I noticed that his poop was white.. which led me to believe it could be parasites. It wasn't a very long one nor was it stringy, just a solid white.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No

How old is your fish (approximately)? A little over a year
pablo27 is offline   Reply With Quote