Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #151 
Sakura8

I think it is very possible it's something he's had all along. Chronic infections are all too common in bettas because of the conditions they're kept in before we buy them. He could have easily been harboring hexamita parasites or a bacterial infection all this time and it has been gradually wearing down his immune system until he finally became full-blown sick.

To be honest, while I don't think treating would cause him discomfort per se, I also don't think it will help. When things like this recur, they come back highly resistant to treatment. If you wanted, you could just leave him in epsom salts and let him be in his own tank.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #152 
rmarkham

Okay, makes sense.

I'll do a partial water change and add more epson salt to the water..

Should I be worried that my other fish may get this? From sharing plants, and a water siphon? So far everyone seems fine.

Is it possible that Mr. Squiggles was older when I got him? He was smaller when I bought him... but could age be a factor at all? I got him back in October so even if he was 6 months old.. he still isn't very old in betta years, right?

Even my boyfriend is worried about this guy.. and he's not a fish fan. :(
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #153 
Sakura8

It's possible that Mr. Squiggles is older than he seems but it seems more likely that bad genetics and bad petstore care are the real culprits. Aside from getting sick, he's showed no other typical signs of aging like color changing or cataracts. Those signs usually don't show up until a betta is over a year old, usually closer to two or three.

There is a possibility the other two could get sick, yes. Ideally, we should all have separate buckets and siphon hoses for each tank we have so we never cross-contaminate. In the real world, that's usually not even remotely possible for most of us (myself included). The only time this kind of practice becomes an absolute must is if a person is a breeder and has a fish room full of extremely valuable fish. For the rest of us, this is the risk we run. 9 times out of 10, nothing happens but on some rare occasion, if a fish gets stressed and his immune system crashes, he could get sick from pathogens introduced via the siphon or shared decor.

You may want to sterilize the siphon hose using hot water. Otherwise, another preventative measure you could take is to put both fish in either a 24 hour soak of methylene blue or 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon for a few days. Methylene blue is a good disease preventative for both internal and external problems because it absorbs well into the system but it stains everything and can be hard to find. If you've ever seen the bettas in the blue water cups, they're in methylene blue. The AQ salt would work in a similar way but only externally. It would encourage them to produce slime coat and help regulate their osmotic functions. We just can't have Lemongrab and the rescue get sick. We just can't! *puts foot down*
Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #154 
rmarkham

How do you feel about Kordon's fish protector? I've been using that throughout Mr. Squiggle's treatment, and I add it to all betta tanks with water changes.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #155 
Sakura8

I really like that product. It's one of the better products out there to help heal torn fins and protect open wounds and it's supposed to have a good calming effect as well. I actually prefer it to Stress Coat. As a note, if you did decide to use methylene blue as a preventative, it says right on the bottle that combining the methylene blue with Kordon Fish Protector will make the methylene more effective. Something about binding with it. It's on the bottle for Kordon Methylene Blue.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #156 
rmarkham

For anyone who was following this story..

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=172169