Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #1 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Microworms/Banana worms/Walter worms

I wrote this up a while ago and I just thought I should share! Warning, long thread!

Microworm/Banana worm/Walter worm Care

Microworms, Banana worms, and Walter worms are three species of nematodes (they're not real worms) popular among fish breeders due to their small size and ease of culture. Fish like them because they are tiny and wiggly. We like them because they are easy to culture and feed. I have grouped the three species together because they are all very similar and are cultured in the same way.

Microworm/Banana worm/Walter worms vs baby brine shrimp

Baby brine shrimp (bbs)

-Everyday culturing
-Dies soon after introduction to freshwater aquarium (approximately 5 hours)
-Sometimes to big for many young fish (Ex. Bettas)
-Salt and temperature requirements
-Expensive "eggs" that you have to buy over and over

Microworm/Banana worm/Walter worms

-Occasional culturing
-Lives longer in freshwater aquarium (approximately 24 hours)
-Variety of sizes for even the tiniest fish
-Broad temperature range and cultured in common ingredients
-Buy one starter culture and don't buy anymore for years

As you can see, these worms are preferable to baby brine shrimp for many reasons. In my opinion however, it is best to feed a variety of things including both these worms and baby brine shrimp to ensure your fish are getting all of the nutrients they need while they are constantly growing. Now I will tell you about the differences between the species.

Microworms (Panagrellus redivivus)- The largest of the three at 3mm. This is also the most common variety. Apparently they were found in beer vats, but they also live in soil.

Microworm Nutrition
Protein-48% Lipids -21%
Glycogen- 7% Organic Acids -1%
Nucleic Acids -1%

Banana worms (Panagrellus nepenthicola)- The smallest of the three, about half the size of microworms. These are a bit rarer then microworms. Originally they were found around the roots of a banana tree, hence the name. No banana needs to be added to their culture (a common misconception), they will do great if cultured in the same way as the other two. I find that my banana worms grow more prolifically and faster then microworms in fact!

Banana worm nutrition
Protein-48% Lipids -21%
Nucleic Acids -1%

Walter worms (Panagrellus Silusioideswere)- Walter worms are somewhere In between microworms and banana worms in size. They were first isolated and cultured when Helmut Walter isolated them in Germany in 2002. This is probably the rarest of the three, but none of them are really rare.

Walter worm nutrition (That's right, there all about the same!)
Protein-48% Lipids -21%
Nucleic Acids -1%

As you can see, all three species are high in protein and have a good amount of fats. Protein is crucial to the development of fry, making microworms, banana worms, and Walter worms very good fry foods. Even though the nutrition is almost the same (there will always be some variances depending on many factors, ex. culture material and temperature) it is highly recommended to feed all three species. There are different micronutrients that they contain, they are all different sizes, and hey, variety is the spice of life!

Culturing information (the useful part)

Culturing these worms is very simple and easy. They are all cultured in the same way. Keep in mind this is the way I use, other fish keepers use baby cereal, plain Cheerios, bread... They live in the dirt, they really are not that picky. I have even heard of people using spirulina powder in place of yeast or carrot juice instead of water, both to add more nutrition. I have not tried this and do not know if it would work, but I intend to experiment with it sometime! So here it is-

You will need-

Oatmeal (instant, quick, large... It doesn't matter)
Traditional yeast
Conditioned, spring, or aquarium water (no chlorine)
A existing/starter culture

Put about 1/4 inch oats in a clear container. Sprinkle some yeast on top. Put in enough water to make a paste. Add about 1 teaspoon of an established culture plus any worms off the wall of the original container. Mix with a toothpick (a little trick that I learned from Sena Hansler. It doesn't get any paste on the wall of your container, which would happen if you used a spoon or something).

See? Easy! If you were feeding baby brine shrimp you would still be measuring out salt! To restart a culture when it becomes to smelly (a yeasty or vinegar-y smell is normal. Any extreme or rotting smell is not.) or turns dark in color, simply follow the above instructions using the old one as the starter culture. Try to reculture before the culture dies or you have to wear a hazmat suit to get near it.

Feeding

To feed, simply wipe the worms off of the side of your container with a toothpick, your finger, or a q-tip. Make sure you are wiping pure worms off the side of the container, not any culture material. Swish them in your tank. DO NOT OVERFEED!

Who eats them?

-Small egg layer fry (bettas, gourami, etc)
-Corydora catfish fry, since they sink to the bottom and cories are bottom feeders.
-Guppy fry, even though they are big enough to eat crushed fish food this will give you better results.
-Pretty much any very small fish or fry

As you can see, these worms are a great live food for young fish. Hope the information helped. Just ask if you have any questions!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  57.9 KB
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #2 
justmel

I have to get me some of all of these before I start spawning. I'm so impatient I want to start NOW, but everyday here I learn more, so it will wait. First priority is to take care of all my fishy friends now. Then I can do more.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Patience pays off!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #4 
logisticsguy

Great information Matt!
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Thanks CJ!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #6 
GhostFeather

Great post Matt!!!!
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Thank you for sharing this great info Matt. . . . but it's not long enough (jk). lol
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Lol I'm sorry. Got a bit carried away with details! I bolded the important part for that reason...
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

No . . no . .. IMO when posting info threads, minor details are very important. Too general info is less valuable since they will cause questions.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #10 
andervt

How can i get a hold of some worms?
andervt is offline   Reply With Quote