Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #21 
Xaltd1

Oh, no, it doesn't offend me at all!
I'm not a squeamish person, but I can't cut into a fish I knew & loved- sort of like Drs not being able to treat their family.
I was actually thinking about sending her to a lab. We have great schools around here, and Tufts' Veteranary school is a short distance away. Since tomorrow's Sunday, I won't have time to keep her "fresh"- I wonder if freezing her will destroy any evidence?
I can start by calling my cat's vet. They must send tumors & whatever to labs.
I bought Gilly from Petco (a "baby betta"), Flake came from an American breeder (the same place my avatar fish came from) and Angel was a pathetic Petsmart rescue I've had since last August. I raised Gilly & Angel together as juveniles; as they grew & started nipping, I got the idea to adopt more & have a larger sorority.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #22 
LittleBlueFishlets

Sakura could probably tell you how to preserve the body. You might be able to get something like formalin from a vet. I think that's a common way to preserve lab specimens.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #23 
Xaltd1

I can pop her in the fridge. But, I'm a late night snacker... why do I feel guilty about the haddock chowder I have in there?
I'm getting loopy- time to turn in.
Thanks to you all!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #24 
Sakura8

Posted this already but for anyone else who is reading this thread: best way to preserve a body for testing is formaldehyde. Formalin works too and it is sometimes available as a fish treatment. Contact local veterinary clinics to see if they would give you the formaldehyde and container necessary for preservation. Freezing kills the pathogens you want to test for.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #25 
belleangel33

Im sorry for your loss!
belleangel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #26 
Artemis

Set the fish in water by itself. It shouldn't rot overnigh and the pathogens should live I believe right?

Sorry for your loss I know how hard it is.

I could never autopsy ANY animal unless it was for vet work or vet school. F in science for not dissecting frog? Ya I'll take that.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #27 
Xaltd1

I lost Bananama Jack to the very same symptoms. 3 days sulk, then sudden death.
He shared a 10 gallon divided tank with my other male, Butch. At first, I thought Jack's lethargy was due to the fact that he could sort of see Butch, and might have been hiding. Butch is very active; always swimming. I added some plants, but Jack still died.
In the mean time, Butch's EE pecs suddenly developed big missing chunks! He is still active & making a bubble nest. While this drama is unfolding, my 2 EE females (in the sorority) are losing their pec & tail fins as well. Lace (my avatar, she doesn't look like that anymore) has taken to hiding from the other girls, but she zips up during feeding time. Mist is white w/ pale blue fins; she looks awful but acts fine.
I am thinking of moving my 2 EE girls to one half of divided male tank & treating the 3 fish w/Fungus Clear, Lifeguard, or???
Good idea? What downside could there be?
IF Butch & 1 of the EE girls "hit it off", maybe we could try a spawn.
Not to be a perv, but has anyone tried a spawning with one male & two females? I ask b/c I am considering spawning Butch w/ one of the EE girls (IF I can get them all healthy) but I can't decide which girl would be the best match.

Last edited by Xaltd1; 04-28-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #28 
Xaltd1

Lace (avatar) died today. She ate last night & this morning. When I came home from work she was dead.
Blush is now looking bloated and was swimming over Lace's body. I guess she's next.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #29 
Sakura8

:( I'm so sorry to hear this, xaltd. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #30 
Xaltd1

Thank you.
I have 2 quasi-sulkers; Mist & Blush. I'm wondering if I should QT them (together or individually?) & treat them. I call them quasi b/c they come out from hiding to eat w/ the othes.
I just don't know what is the best treatment to use, and what products can be used together.
I still can't figure out Klonapen (sp?).