Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #1 
RebekahsBettas

Can I have you opinions on my Bettas and their care please?

I just recently got back into keeping Bettas. I just bought a red crowned tail and two females. They're in a divided tank with the male in the center and a female on each side. I was told that when he makes a bubble nest, to place a female in, let them do their thing, and once she lays all of her eggs, take her back out and put her back in her section. I could use some opinions on the tank they're in, their colors, and more breeding advice. Any and all would be appreciated.

Last edited by RebekahsBettas; 04-06-2013 at 01:57 PM.
RebekahsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #2 
Stone

You need a spawning tank and a grow out tank and tons of stuff if only it was that easy, you should check out the forums here and read old posts for info
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #3 
RebekahsBettas

Okay, I'll do that. :) I was told that the male cares for the eggs is it true?
Old 04-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You obviously have a LOT more reasearch to do. Do you have:

-spawn tank
-grow out tanks
-live food cultures
-suitable homes
-non vt parents
-ial
-heaters for all the tanks
-hiding spots for the females
-a hour of spare time a day for for them
-high quality live/frozen/pellet foods for conditioning

Until you have all of these things, you are not ready to breed. And I know I'm forgetting a few things.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #5 
isochronism

Males and Females should not be in a divide tank together. They smell each other. Not good long term.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

The male only cares for the bubblenest and checks if any of his fry fall. You'll be the one that needs to feed them when they hatch, you also need to move the male.

Do you even want to breed? You do know that if the male makes a bubblenest, he doesn't have to breed right?

Breeding takes so much money and responsibility. You can easily spend over $500 and you can get over 200 fry!! You'll need over 75 jars for males... Shipping supplies... Extra tanks and heaters... Are you up to this?

I'm assuming you got these bettas from stores?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #7 
RebekahsBettas

Well I'm still very young and don't have much money to put in to breeding, and I agree completely on the research. I think I'm going to return my females and just collect a few variety of males and just enjoy their colors and beauty until I full heartedly believe I can breed and raise the babies correctly. (: I mainly just enjoy their beauty and colors. I'll get into the breeding in time, but for now I'll just collect males. (: thank you everyone for your opinions!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

I wouldn't return the females. :) Girls are just as lovely as boys in their own way - fun, feisty and absolutely full of personality. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #9 
mermaid77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I wouldn't return the females. :) Girls are just as lovely as boys in their own way - fun, feisty and absolutely full of personality. :)
I agree wholeheartedly!!! Do keep the females and give them a proper home :) They are all too often overlooked because they lack the long flowing fins..but I assure you...they are just as colorful and really are such spunky little fish...My adult male is quite outgoing and friendly, but honestly, I find my little female to be more so! ;) Just place your male in his own tank away from the females and you're good to go! Maybe go for another larger (at least 5g divided ) if you're interested in acquiring another male...once your tanks cycle..the upkeep of two tanks really isn't so bad :)
But of course, the decision is yours....
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #10 
RebekahsBettas

I think I'll put the divider in the middle and make two sections and keep my females together and make sure the divider isn't see through. :) I bought me another male and he's waiting to be put in his new larger tank tomorrow. :) These fish are quite the pets. :)