Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Baby Betta Care?

Sooooo. My friend wasn't too great with convincing me not to buy a betta. We went to Petco, and I saw the babies... They're so adorable, but they all looked a little sickly, as did all the other bettas. There was this one little baby that got SO excited when I picked up his cup. He was only $2, and I picked up a can of NLS Small Fish food. I checked the ingredients and it has LOADS of whole fish. I have a spare heater and plenty of tanks, as well as gravel and decorations. I'm buying a test kit and two new thermometers, so I'll have extra thermometers when it all gets here too.

I couldn't find any threads about how to properly take care of a baby. I have a 3 gallon KK I'll be putting him in with a heater, thermometer, gravel, and decorations. I use Prime as the conditioner, and he'll have a light. Once he grows up a little and isn't quite so tiny, I'll add another divider into my 10 gallon and put him in there with my other two. I'll do water changes twice weekly, one 50% and one 100% a week. I plan on feeding him six pellets a day, in two meals. Is there anything else I should be doing or something I should do differently?

I'll be posting pictures in the betta picture part of the site. :) I plan on giving him a unisex name, so that way no matter which gender he turns out to be, he can keep his name.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

You may want to do a couple more water changes during the week as this will help speed your fry's growth along. If you supplement his pellets with live/frozen foods this should also help him grow better. I think some of these 'babies' are still small enough to take BBS.

People also recommend keeping fry at the higher end of the temperature range than you would an adult betta.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

I actually kept my baby in a 1.75 gallon for a few weeks before switching to a 3 gallon.

I started out with 100% water changes a day, and then went to every other day changes. Now, with the 3 gallon, I'm doing 3 100% changes a week.

I fed him flakes since I didn't know how to exactly do live food, and he was doing fine with that. Now he's big enough to hit Hikari pellets c:
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #4 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
You may want to do a couple more water changes during the week as this will help speed your fry's growth along. If you supplement his pellets with live/frozen foods this should also help him grow better. I think some of these 'babies' are still small enough to take BBS.

People also recommend keeping fry at the higher end of the temperature range than you would an adult betta.
Okay. I'll do more frequent changes then. I might also run out to Petsmart in a bit and look at their frozen foods section. I'll try to find some BBS. If not, what should I try? I did feed him 3 NLS pellets just now, and he ate them no problem. He spit them out at first, but then quickly chased after them to pick them back up. I don't know what they fed him at the store (I should have asked but didn't think to until now), so I think he was just shocked that it was different at first, but then realized it was good. :) He's checking out his new home now that he's been acclimated. I WOULD put him in a smaller tank for now, but I only have a 1 gallon bowl and it won't fit any of the heaters I have. He seems to like his 3 gallon though. He isn't stressed or zooming around in a panic. He's just exploring and staring down the light on the heater.

I made sure to give him plenty of hiding spots, and I have a styrofoam "log" I'll put in there for him to hide in near the surface. His tank is heated to 84, so he should be good. :) My bettas like it at 84, so that's what all my heaters are set to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I actually kept my baby in a 1.75 gallon for a few weeks before switching to a 3 gallon.

I started out with 100% water changes a day, and then went to every other day changes. Now, with the 3 gallon, I'm doing 3 100% changes a week.

I fed him flakes since I didn't know how to exactly do live food, and he was doing fine with that. Now he's big enough to hit Hikari pellets c:
I would keep him in a smaller one, but I don't have anything smaller that can fit a heater. :( I'm going to do daily water changes, I think. For now, that is. At least, for the first week or two, I'm thinking. Then I'll switch to every other day, and gradually work up to my normal schedule.

I don't know how to do live food either... He seems okay with the NLS I got him, but I want to look into live food and see what Petsmart has. Petco is too far of a drive to go back. (Which is a good thing, because if my mom told me I couldn't keep him, it'd be too far to drive back to return him. Heeheehee. She couldn't say no to his little face either though.)
Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

Here is the thread with pictures and videos of him. :)