Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 
justmel

Learning a lot here. Thanks everyone!

Hi! My name is Melissa (or just Mel). Iím a new betta breeder, well I donít know if I can say that yet. I have a long way to go before my first spawning! I was already to get started, than found this forum as I was looking for a female HM for my Thor to breed with. Iím glad I did! I have learned a lot already and have a lot more to learn. I want to thank all of you that have posted the stickies that are really helping me.

I love VTís. They may not be so desirable by breeders, but I still think they are some of the most beautiful bettaís I have seen. Currently I have 15 bettas. My female VTís are Amor, Gema, Lofin, and Freya. I only have 1 male VT, Mr. Fish (Mr. Fish is actually the betta that started it all for me), but my daughter has 4 male VTís that I care for also. These four are Luv, Darling, Monster, and Gaylord. I finish off my male bettas with a HM named Thor, and a DT we call Mani. My last three bettas are babies for petco, I believe I have one CT and 2 VT babies.

Opps, I almost forgot my mystery fish, Blanca.
I got Blanca for Petco. They had her marked as a female VT. I knew right off she was not a VT, but an Elephant Ear. I assumed they were correct about the female part, but Iím not so sure anymore. When I put together a sorority Blanca became VERY aggressive and it didnít tank long for a bubble nest taking up a quarter of the 10 gallon tank to be built. Since the tank was not set up for breeding & I donít have food for the fry I removed Blanca until I can be sure it is a female. (Pic attached)

As I stated in the beginning, I am just starting out. I thought I was ready, besides food, but have learned here that I have a lot more to learn before I start. I need to get the terms for the fins down. Right now the only one I can remember every time is the dorsal. I want to learn more about NPTís and find out if I can use one as a spawning tank or if bare bottom is still better. I need to organize (and probably research more) my information on breeding colors and types. I need to make myself a shopping and check list. Once I have everything together and ready to go I need to get myself a pair of bettas that I can get some good fry from.
As a last note, I am a mother of 2 (14 yr old girl & 3 yr old boy). Engaged & soon moving so my mother can move in with us. I am also going to school online for a BA of English Literature. I am not looking at showing bettas myself at this time, but I do plan on selling them. Any advice, tips, suggestions, or questions are welcome. I do have pic of all my bettas in albums here, except the babies.
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello Mel

Welcome to the forum. I'm with you on the VT bettas - they're completely underrated and some of the most stunning bettas that I've owned were VTs.

And I'm loving your fish names :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #3 
shakeitsalome

I just squealed loudly (scared my son) because YAY someone from Virginia!!! (I'm near Emporia.)

I love VT's too! But I tend to think all bettas are gorgeous - especially the ones I've seen on here. I saw Mr. Fish on another thread (the one about VTs) and he is STUNNING. I know nothing about breeding and wish you luck with it. Blanca is beautiful but alas, I'm not familiar enough to class him/her.

Welcome to the forum! I've stalked for weeks but finally joined a week or so ago. I, too, have learned a LOT from the threads on here.
shakeitsalome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #4 
justmel

Hi Romad and Thank you for the welcome!

Hello shakeitsalome! I've only been a member a few day, but you are the first I've meet from VA too. I only lurked about a day or two before I joined. There were to many questions I had and to many useful threads to read. Thanks for the compliment on Mr. Fish. I know very well that he isn't show quality (even if they showed VT's) or anything like that, but out of all of them he is still my baby and I think he's gorgeous.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #5 
Laki

Hello and welcome!

Good luck on your spawning trials. :) You sure have a lot of bettas!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #6 
Stone

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/be...ale-betta.html this site can help but yeah it still isn't always easy
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #7 
smaughunter

Welcome! Blanca looks male to me. But a few more pics might help.
smaughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #8 
justmel

Here's a thread with Blanca's full story and half a dozen pictures.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=146242

Stone, thank you for the link! That's one of the pages I have bookmarked for information.

Laki, I do have a lot! I am starting to think TOO many. My fiance is way to understanding. I've added two bettas to the family this weekend! 1 male DT & a female I have to figure out what is(some lady had a sorority, was moving and gave her girls to my local LFS), my pet store knows nothing about bettas and couldn't tell me what it was. Attached is a pic, but a bad one.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #9 
Laki

Some men.. Mine said to me, "you can have as many as you want if you can find the space"... He doesn't even know what that means, lol. When we move to a larger place, he will understand the extent.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote