Betta Fish Forum banner

Hi everyone, been a while...

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  JadeAngel 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I used to have a Betta before I left for Air Force basic, he had a nice filtered and heated 10 gal tank and seemed very happy... sadly I of course couldn't take him with me and had to leave him with my parents who gave him to some little kid in the neighborhood... and that's all I know, I'm not sure if he is still alive but that was almost 11 months ago.

But today... I decided it was time for another, now that I was finished with basic and my tech school and settled into my dorm at my new base I decided to get another Betta...

I haven't named him yet, honestly I didn't even wake up this morning thinking I was going to get another Betta but I passed a pet store today and the thought popped into my head...

What do you all think of the set-up? The tank is somewhat small but it is 2.5 gal which should be sufficient, I can't really have a big tank set up in the dorms and it is better than a .5 gal by a long shot.

Feel free to leave any advice.. I tried feeding him a pellet of food today, not sure if he was fed this morning at his store but he kept eating it and spitting it back up and kept trying until it sank to the bottom where he left it alone... not sure if he just isn't hungry enough or he may not be used to pellets?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your old betta. Thats sad :( Your new tank is lovely. I love the black and grey. Your betta is lovely too. It could be that he is not used to eating pellets. It could be he doesn't like the particular brand. What kind of pellets are you feeding him?

#3 ·
Hope the neighbors kid took care of him..... I hope....

2.5 is fine as long as you maintain it :)

It looks like there is some kind of filter in the back of it? Am I seeing wrong?
I would stick a thermometer and heater in there as they like the water between 78-80°. Also a couple silk plants would make him very happy as it makes bettas feel more secure as they have somewhere to relax and hide.

#4 ·
and just a funny thought for a name since you said you are involved in the air force...

how about Sabre? from the f-100 super sabre? I know nothing of planes, just thought it would be a cute idea so I looked some up :lol:

#6 ·
I would put in a bunch of plants, preferably live. That looks like an Evolve tank, so light should be ok for low light plants. If it is the Evolve 2, just be aware it is not actually two gallons. The area at the back is included in the gallonage. I like the 4s, the 2s seem small to me. Makes for a lot more water changes, and challenging/impossible to cycle.

What kind of pellets? New Life Spectrum are kind of top of the list in deliciousness and nutrition.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone,

Yes it is an Evolve 2, and I guess it is a little smaller than 2.5. It does have a filter built in but I realized it was causing too much current movement for him pretty much straight away and I even saw him just hanging up against the intake once so I shut it off until I can find a way to slow it down a little.

And I did stick a heater back there but I guess it's not very effective with the filter system turned off, so I'll have to hit the drawing board lol.

I am feeding him "HBH Betta Bites" right now and I also got him some dried bloodworms for a treat but I haven't given him any yet, want to make sure he'll actually eat pellets first.

I like the thought of naming him after an aircraft JadeAngel!

#8 ·
With the filter (if it is the same as the 4), you can turn it all the way down. Then, stick a chunk of coarse sponge on the outflow nozzle. I used the white Fluval sponge, but any kind of aquarium safe sponge would do. Point the nozzle at the wall of the tank, and towards the surface. Works great!

See if you can find the NLS pellets. Better quality, and bettas love them.

Where did you get your rock? It's beautiful.

#9 ·
Thanks,

I'm not sure if the filter is adjustable on this one, for now I cut a piece of fabric and used rubber bands to hold it over the outflow and it cut it down a lot, although maybe too much lol.

And I got the rock at the same place I got the tank Pet Supplies Plus, I saw it and had to get it lol, along with the black gravel... I'm thinking of putting some white plants in the tank if I can find some.

#13 ·
Do a 50% water change, if you forgot to rinse the plants before putting them in the water, it introduced dust particles, otherwise it stirred up the gravel, and it happens to me every time I move decorations (even without adding new ones) just don't forget to condition the water :)

Still not eating? did you try frozen bloodworms? I use freeze dried to add variety, but frozen ones are better, and bettas are more likely to eat them if they are picky eaters. Also, just a suggestion, maybe try feeding him during a different time of the day? Maybe the store had them on a very strict feeding schedule because of the employee's shifts, and you are trying to feed him during a different time? Fish can be as finicky as people.

#14 ·
He's still not eating.. :/ I even cut the pellet in half and he still just ate it and then spit it back up and won't touch the other half...

Idk what to do, theres no way a betta can be this picky... he hasn't ate actually anything I've given him in a whole week.

#15 ·
I'd make a post in the betta emergencies section. I did see someone suggest once to dip the food in garlic juice, but I am not experienced in treating bettas that could be ill because I've never had those problems, and my picky eaters just needed experimenting with food. So it could be a symptom of something, better ask in that section to be safe.

I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions there to help :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.