Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #1 
key_555

BROWN STUFF

Ok so today when i went to go do my weekly cleaning and water change i noticed this bron stuff on the tank and decor here are some pics what do you think it is

the last pic is when i took somw water out of the tank what do you think it could be my water permits are fine i take them in to mu local lfs every week to get tested
key_555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:41 PM   #2 
Meatpuppet

I have the same thing... algae i think (correct me if im wrong) but when i see it all i do is wipe it off with a qu-tip
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #3 
JMeenen

Brown Alge.....I use 1/2 tab (although it calls for 2) "No More Alge" with my weekly H2O change..it really helps..plus i use the aquarium wipes on the glass ( inside) and that too deters alge growth on the glass.
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #4 
Neo

yea its algea, my pleco and chinese algae eater are taking care of mine, i have the same prob. only so so so so much worse
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #5 
stephenmontero

u need some kind of alge killing chemical ur alge eating fish wont do it by themself
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #6 
iamntbatman

I dunno...I never add any chemicals to my tank unless I really, really need to. A small amount of algae growth is usually just an indicator of a healthy tank. Algae eating fish and inverts usually do a good job of keeping moderate amounts of algae under control, but if it gets a little out of hand, I'd just physically remove it. I slowly get buildup of green algae on my tank walls that my snails don't take care of, so every once in a while I just go to town with a razorblade.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #7 
key_555

thanks i had three snails but 2 died and the way my tank is set up i would have to go get like 5 fish that would do the job i will try everything you guys said to do thanks
key_555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #8 
JMeenen

I don't think brownn alge is a good thing....maybe look up some sites on it ....Green alge is an indicator of a healthy tank.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #9 
iamntbatman

Brown algae are diatoms and occurs in healthy tanks. Otos and other algae-eating creatures will eat it.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #10 
JMeenen

Algae and "That Other Slimy Stuff"
There are many types of algae. There are also a few organisms that look like algae but are not algae at all. In a healthy aquarium, the algae will be green, and if left alone, will grow hair-like in appearance. Algae that is red or brown may indicate a water quality problem, such as high dissolved nitrate or phosphate levels in the water. Red and brown algae are also common in new tanks, when the aquarium is not yet ecologically balanced. These types of algae are also quite common in saltwater fish-only tanks when the coral decorations are cleaned on a regular basis. The small round green "dots" that form on the sides of a tank are not algae. These are actually populations of Diatoms, microscopic animals that secrete a hard calcium shell on which green algae grows. This type of "algae" is the most difficult to remove.

This article says taht brown alge is an indicator of poor water conditions...that's what I always thought....