Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #11 
key_555

i cant find any info on brown alge so if any one can help i would love it thanks
key_555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #12 
key_555

ok i just found something it is not bad it is a sign of a good cycleing and i just need to do a very good cleaning on everything in the tank to get rid of it befor it takes over. It said to vac all rock and clean any decor in the tank also the walls and heater and filter so if any one eles has it to you might want to do the same thing i will keep you up dated on it if you want to know Thanks for everyones help
Old 05-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #13 
JMeenen

Brown Alge IS a sign of poor Water condition..green alge IS a sign of good water quality..as I said previously
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #14 
key_555

i read that the brown alge is what happens after your tank has cycled i tested my water and everything was fine there is nothing wrong with the tank i also took some water to my lfs and they got the same readings as i did there is nothing wrong from what i read is that it just needs a good cleaning and and keep and eye on it this is what i read and i had my water from my sink tested to see what was all in it and it is fine as well. My tank has only been up for about 2mo if that. I try and clean my tank every week but i have not had time to do in 2 weeks i have cleaned it and all decor and vac the rocks if the same thing happens again i will find something eles too do if i have too

Appearance: Brown algae begins as brown patches on the gravel and/or glass, then rapidly coats most surfaces of the aquarium with a thin, dark brown coating that is easily removed. Unlike blue-green/slime algae, it does not come off in large slimy sheets.
Sponsored Links
Control ALGAE Forever
Algae removal with ultrasound No chemicals harmless to men/animal
www.cyanobacteria.com

Algae cultivation farms
Co-financed by Intern. Airlines Investment yield 20% - 30% per/year
www.algaelink.com

Get Rid of algae forever
Algae removal with ultrasound No chemicals harmless to man/animal
www.algaeelimination.info
Cause:
Excess silicates & nitrates

Inadequate light

Low oxygen levels

Brown algae is a common occurrence in a newly set up aquarium. It is generally caused by too little light, an excess of silicates, an abundance of nutrients, and too little oxygen. Silicates can build up through tap water that is high in silicic acid, and silicates that leech from some types of substrates.
Cure:
Wipe off surfaces & vacuum gravel well

Use silicate adsorbing resin in the filter

Increase the lighting

Stock a plecostomus or several otocinclus

This type of algae does not adhere strongly to the tank surfaces, and is easily wiped away. Vacuuming the gravel with a siphon will quickly remove coatings from the substrate. Increasing the lighting will inhibit re-growth of brown algae. As a new tank matures brown algae is often eliminated naturally by plants and green algae competing for nutrients.
Some sucker-mouth catfish will readily eat brown algae, most notably plecostomus and otocinclus. If the problem is due to high silicates in the water, and the brown algae persists, a special silicate absorbing resin can be used in the filter.
Prevention:
Use of RO water

Regular water changes

Regular aquarium cleaning

Good lighting

As with any algae, keeping the tank clean and performing regular water changes is one of the best preventative measures. Unfortunately it is still possible to get algae in spite of regular maintenance, especially in a newly established aquarium. Prompt attention to sudden algae growth will prevent more serious problems
Old 05-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #15 
JMeenen

Algae that is red or brown may indicate a water quality problem, such as high dissolved nitrate or phosphate levels in the water. Red and brown algae are also common in new tanks, when the aquarium is not yet ecologically balanced.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #16 
key_555

Other Names: Slime algae, Smear algae
Color: Blue-green, may also be brown or black.
Appearance: Very slimy, when disturbed comes off in sheets. Grows quickly and covers all surfaces in the aquarium, often giving off an unpleasant swampy or fishy odor.
Sponsored Links
Remove String Algae

Cause:
Cyanobacteria

High levels of organic wastes

Anaerobic conditions

Also referred to as slime or smear algae, blue-green algae is actually the organism cyanobacteria. Overgrowth of this organism generally occurs when there are high levels of dissolved wastes and nutrients in the water.
This may be due to lack of water changes and regular maintenance, overfeeding, or because the tank is new and the beneficial bacterial colonies have not become established. However, because cyanobacteria can fix it's own nitrogen, it can appear even in a well maintained matured tank.
Cure:
Physical removal

Clean tank well

Partial water change

200 mg erythromycin phosphate/10 gallons water

Once established, blue-green algae is difficult to eradicate. It can initially be removed by scraping the glass, scrubbing gravel and plants, and vacuuming the substrate. However, the algae will soon return, especially if the underlying causes are not corrected. Regular ongoing water changes and maintenance will delay and sometimes eliminate reoccurrence.
Treatment with erythromycin will eliminate the bacteria causing the slime. However, use of erythromycin can also affect the beneficial bacteria in the aquarium, and should be used with care. If such treatment is used, monitor ammonia and nitrite levels closely for several weeks.

Note: Algae eaters do not eat cyanobacteria.
Prevention:
Regular water changes

Regular aquarium cleaning

Avoid overfeeding fish

As with any algae, keeping the tank clean and performing regular water changes is one of the best preventative measures. Unfortunately it is still possible to get algae in spite of regular maintenance. In fact, small amounts of algae is normal. Prompt attention to sudden algae growth will prevent more serious problems
Old 05-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #17 
key_555

ok then what do i do if this is not right wha ti am reading then what do i do
Old 05-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #18 
JMeenen

You have to do your weekly water changes,Use an "aquarium wipe " you can get at LFS..and use on the inside glass, ornaments fake plants etc..this will deter the regrowth of alge on the glass..you can also use a tablet made by "Jungle" called "No More Alge" (it's like an alkaseltzer ..it fizzes like that..be careful to read the instructions for your tank size..I always use a little less than the instructions..I have a 40 Gallon and I only use 1 or sometimes 1/2 tablet and it does a great job of controlling alge..combined with regular cleaning & water change..Also keep up with your levels, it is a good idea to take your water sample to the LFS regularly (like you did)or maybe purchase a master water test kit of your own.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #19 
key_555

I have a test kit of my own but i didnt understand it i had my lfs show me how to do it thanks for the help
Old 05-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #20 
JMeenen

you are very welcome..hope it helps and good luck with your tank.