Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #1 
nel3

Unhappy tumour??? blocking 1 eye and favoring left side of body

my VT has had this growth growing for many months but it hasnt gotten in the way of his eye sight. hes energetic and swims well with it. ive noticed the growth has gotten vicibly bigger since february 16 2013 (1st noticed), march 31st 2013 (larger) and within the past few days. its taller and larger than his left side eye, no probelms with the right side eye. he was in his 5g divided tank, cycled and 26c.

around 9pm yesterday he was nowhere to be seen, couldve been hididng in his cave. i found him seemingly dead on his behind the cave resting his body on his left side. he did some loopty loops tring to get away from me but kept his right side facing up. i put put him in my cracked (but ok) 3.4g KK with lowered water depth 8inches (5g tank) vs the 5 inches in the KK.

i suspect the growth has finally blocked his left eyesight due to obstruction. he could swim ok for a few seconds but constantly favors his left side. i didnt add any sort of med or salt in his KK to treat what it might be. ive taken what decor from his side into the KK i can and he could rest on ssolid areas to slowly step up to the surface for air.

how can i treat him or atleast make him more comfy as i dont like seeing him favor that left eye much at all. the growth is directly between the mouth and the growth is at a slightly higher level than the eye. he hasnt lost any sort of body colour nor acted lethargically when swimming. he just is lazing around resting on his left side barely moving his fins (but that he's unable to). he prefers to swim sideways.

ive taken pictures of his predicament before and after he favored his left side but as usual my digital camera will only work when it wants to. it'll probably start connecting to my pc after 20 minutes after ive posted this thread, where i'll post them shortly after.

ive know the growth wouldve gotten tho him eventually but couldnt tell when. here's a pic to start from until the camera works. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=129029

my HM and nerite are healthy atm, (in the same 5 g tank) should i be worried of cross contamination? sorry if i sound cold but i woulnt mind too much if the nerite passed in the worst case scenario (fatal cross contamination). i love the snail's looks and like to keep him alive but id miss my orange DeT much more as its a very beautifully coloured fish.

Last edited by nel3; 04-07-2013 at 07:47 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #2 
nel3

just another note on the clouration of the growth. its mostly black/blue but i did notice 1 small white dot on it but its never been completely white even now its all dark colouration.

ive just raised the setting on my heater (adjusted for a 1g atm). he noticed me. he righted himself to get a better look at me but only moved to flop onto his side with the good eye.

i have epsom salts, general cure and Kordon rid ich plus and jungle fungus eliminator as a few of my meds.

Last edited by nel3; 04-07-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #3 
nel3

forget it, i either put the heater too high, the heater went U/S or he was too sick. i just checked on him and he was in 33c water and dead. post mortem pics will come later.

off to buy a replacement fish.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #4 
nel3

ive purchased the female i wanted (ct most likely).

i still would like some input as to why my VT came about with the sulking fit before passing to know if i whould worry about my DeT.