Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #11 
MadMay

Need Help please!

just tried cleaning out my fry tank and it was awful I used a syfon whit a sock on the end I still sucked up a ton of fry so I had to put all the water back in! With no way to prefent the fry from being sucked up I just used a clear cup and picked up water from the top and used a flashlight to make sure there were no fry and then dripped new water into the tank but there is still gunk at the bottom of the tank I dont know how to get it out without sucking up little ones. Also introduced two ramshorne snails to the fry tank to hopefully help with uneaten food also I have counted two dead bodies with my flashlight but thats all I'd say thats not bad out of 150 to 200 fry but I would like to prevent further deaths.

Any suggestions to get the bottom of the tank clean would be very appreciated!
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #12 
Jayloo

What is causing the gunk in the tank? Over feeding or what?
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #13 
MadMay

Mostly waste from the dad and mom and there are always micro worms wiggling around I feed them three times a day regardless of wether there are still live worms or not that way they always have food available to them. So some of it is dead food as well it already looks a lot better after adding the snails but I still want to clean the bottom out Im worried about a disease popping up. Im not finding any more dead boding this morning but they seem to have doubled in size since hatching so they look like they are growing well.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #14 
Jayloo

I siphon around where the fry aren't. For example they stay towards the left side of the tank because the filter is on the right. Then I siphon out about 25% of the water and then spot clean with a turkey baster. This is how I avoid sucking up fry but keeping things semi clean and doing a water change.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #15 
MadMay

Thanks Jayloo! Okay I also when out and bought a tiny hose to siphon with so i will be able t better control it.

Also dad is recovering well I started feeding him chopped up little wax worms and he is perking right up.

Here are pics of fry this morning they are getting bigger!
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #16 
Option

I swear, the most frustrating part of raising betta fry is not the constant feeding of live foods nor water parameter checks....it's definitely the cleaning/siphoning the tank and having to pick out the individual fry that get sucked into the disposal water bucket. LOL........this by far takes up the majority of my time during each spawn.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #17 
belleangel33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
I swear, the most frustrating part of raising betta fry is not the constant feeding of live foods nor water parameter checks....it's definitely the cleaning/siphoning the tank and having to pick out the individual fry that get sucked into the disposal water bucket. LOL........this by far takes up the majority of my time during each spawn.
I agree its the dreaded part of the whole spawn. Its so much easier when they get bigger but I still manage to suck one up now and again no matter how hard I try not to.
belleangel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #18 
MadMay

I completely agree so nerve wracking! Funny part is no one seems to mention how difficult that part is they just mention the frequency not the difficulty of each tank cleaning. I gave up and bought a turkey baster and that was so much easier I didnt suck up a single fry! Also my fry are extremely curios they swim up to the hose turkey baster or my hand not away from it XD
Old 04-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #19 
alunjai

What's even worse is sucking up the fry and not even realising its gone into the bucket. There's a few times when I almost poured the water away with one or two fry still inside the bucket.

Once they hit around 7-8 weeks it gets better... big enough not to get sucked up, can start to feed crushed pellets and they're less sensitive to water changes....

Congrats on your btw :)
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #20 
alunjai

Sorry I meant congrats on your spawn....
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote