Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #1 
missfish1996

Water...

I'm going to sound really dumb but I actually let my brother design my tank and he put a starfish in there and it disinigrated we thought it was the water so we bought distilled water to put in but now i'm getting a 5 gallon and should i stick with distilled water or can i just use tap water or what help!
missfish1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #2 
SST

In almost all cases, tap water with a water conditioner is just fine. Go to the LFS and buy a bottle of water conditioner.

Are you located on city water or well water?

Was that a real starfish? Aren't they saltwater creatures? A starfish wouldn't survive in a freshwater tank, I don't think.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #3 
missfish1996

City water. Yea it was realit was dead but it was real. It wa sdef. fresh water i have no access to salt water i know that but tap water is fine? Thanks so much you probably just saved me like 30 dollars!!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #4 
SST

I would recommend that you spend that $30 on a liquid master test kit for your water so you can test your nitrite, nitrate, ph, and ammonia. Very important numbers to know, especially since you're upgrading to a 5 gal. tank and won't be doing 100% water changes. (I don't know what size tank you've got now, that was just a guess on the water changes.)

Your water will need to go through the cycling process and you'll need to test it to monitor it so you'll know when to change the water until the cycle is complete.

Avoid the test strips. They are worthless. (Been there, done wasted that money!)

Can't wait to hear about the new tank!
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #5 
Flashygrrl

Uhhh, I would never put saltwater fish in a freshie tank ever again.

Question for you, missfish....how old are you anyways?
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #6 
missfish1996

Ummm well I'm 13 and over not given out my age (security purposes ya know) but my under 10 year old brother design it because i got my fish as a suprise so it wasn't me but Mr.Bubbles is alive and well so it's all good
Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #7 
JMeenen

As far as I know a starfish is saltwater..was it dried or alive ..either way that's probebly not good for a Betta tank...as far as Distilled water DO NOT used distilled water..ever..it has a very low pH (acid) and all nutrients are removed..not good for humans, fish or other pets..instead use tap H20 with a declorinator..please refer to the "sticky" and look for further information on Betta care
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #8 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
API liquid test kit is your best bet. The only chemical you need is a dechlorinator. Add it on a bucket of your tapwater before you add the tapwater to the tank. Chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals can be harmful but the dechlorinator can bind them to harmless form.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote