Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #1 
minkymink

Inconsistent Water Changes

Lately I've been away from home and I have been having to do a water change a day early or a day late for about 2 or 3 weeks. This has really messed my cycle up and I'm showing 0 to 0.25ppm of ammonia, .25 ppm of nitrites, and 0 to 5.0 nitrates. How soon do you think my water will go back to normal?
minkymink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 AM   #2 
dude

Do you have a filter? If you do then just doing the water changes a day earlier or later shouldn't affect your water parameters that much. If you don't have a filter and you are changing less than 50% of your water during water changes then that also shouldn't affect your water parameters that much.

Some of the things that could be the problem: scrubbing the tank walls, rocks, ornaments too often and all at the same time or washing them with untreated tap water. Cleaning the filter too often or cleaning it with untreated tap water. Changing too much of the water in the tank in one go and cleaning everything in the tank at the same time.
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #3 
waterdog

Need a little more info. Tank size, filter or not, etc.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I agree with dude. I have established tanks & there are times I can't do a water change on the exact same day every week BUT because the tanks are fully cycled, my water parameters are always 0 ammon/nitrites, 5-10 nitrates. Something is going on & more info. is needed as Waterdog said. How long has the tank been set up? Water temp? Inhabitants? Any inhabitants added recently? Have you done anything with the fitler media recently? What water conditioner are you using?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:08 AM   #5 
Blue Fish

I've been a horrible person and gone up to a month without a water change, and my nitrites and ammonia were still at 0...My nitrates were quite high, but everything else was functioning normally.

Was your tank fully cycled prior to this, or were you still in the process of cycling?
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote