Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #11 
Goodbettabest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillieCharlotte View Post
swim bladder can be caused by bloat...the bloat comes from overeating. The white fuzz sounds more serious than the SBD though. I also thought columnaris like the person above, but i've never seen it in real life. It's good that you have a larger tank - I don't like to keep sick fish in 1 gallons because it's too hard to maintain a consistent temperature
The fuzz is very hard to describe. It is not white though. When you look very closely at the pics I posted you can see that he is red with natural white dots along his body (please excuse my lack of knowledge of correct terminology) and that around his head and part way along his body (up to his dorsal fin) there seems to be a red coating that is obscuring the white dots. It has been there for several days now but has not gotten any better nor any worse. Someone mentioned earlier that it could be a slime coat. Again, something I've not heard of. I'm on a steep learning curve here.......
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #12 
Goodbettabest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeanna View Post
I don't have the first hand experience you are hoping for, but after your posts I can see you need help and nobody has managed to see your posts. I hope the know how I have is enough until someone else more qualified can chime in.

Sounds very much like a swim bladder issue.
Every site I can find on the condition all agree that constipation and overfeeding are the most common cause in bettas and suggest fasting him for a few days (some say two days, others three)
Some suggest feeding a pea after the fasting but people on this site often speak against them so I would appreciate someone with more knowledge cutting in at this point.
Another cause is listed as a bacterial infection that is inflating his swim bladder. Appropriate medication could be applied but it is up to you if you prefer to treat for that as well right away or give the fast time to work.
On top of that his bowl changes in such a tiny space need to be far more often. Swim bladders are sensitive to infection and even if he is constipated he is still secreting ammonia through his gills that cant be allowed to build up. Partial water changes every other day and one full change a week.
I wish I could give more coherant advice but I really don't like to speak up unless nobody else does. With luck might pop in just to correct me :)

[edit] Been doing some research on your behalf and an alternative laxative to a pea (and much safer) are frozen daphnia (water fleas). If you have a large pet wholesaler nearby or something you might like to ask? Apparently they are a treat food to bettas as well the same as bloodworms so he gets to be pampered as he recovers.
Thank you so much for all your help on this. It is very much appreciated!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #13 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Taken from the pinned thread:

"Bettas will typically recover after a day or two of Epsom Salt treatments (1-2tsp/gal) and fasting. You can help prevent a reoccurrence by switching to a better pellet food, feeding less and offering a more varied diet. To make it easier for the betta to eat and breath, you can make the water shallower. You can offer him/her frozen daphnia (sold at Petsmart) as daphnia will help him/her pass stool. DO NOT FEED THEM PEAS."

It works. I assure you. What kind of food are you giving your betta?
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #14 
Goodbettabest

I'm embarrassed to admit that I am not sure what his food is called. I can check when i get home from work. It is very small, ground up looking pellets. Could be called Bettablend?? I bought it from the pet shop where I got my Betta. I also give him a couple of bloodworms once or twice a week as a treat (in place of the pellets). I have made sure I haven't been overfeeding him - giving him a tiny amount and only once a day which is why I'm so surprised that he has had swim bladder problems. He is definitely not bloated. Do you have a recommendation as to the best pellets to feed him?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #15 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Omega One Betta Buffet is the one I had the best luck with.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

I didn't see any fuzz in the pics..The white on his lower head? Its normal coloring. Mr Mushrooms has it too. Or is there something that actually looks like fuzz growing on him? And no, I do not keep him in a cup. He was getting a water change

many people do use 1gallon tanks as hospital tanks - makes it easier to do the 100% daily water changes that are usually required. Many bettas live in larger community tanks or in tanks with other species that can not handle salt or some meds

New life spectrum and omega one pellets seem to be the best. You can also skip a day of feeding which helps the digestive track. If you want to use flakes - go with omega one. They are larger so its a bit harder to overfeed. also if the bloodworms are freeze dreied - soa it in water for a few minutes before feeding. That way it will already be expanded before the betta eats it.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-09-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote