Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

HELP-911 Fish is dying!!!

I posted another thread about Angel, but I need to find someone who can fix this fish. I've already added 2x the Epsom salt recommended, plus Betta Spa. I dosed her with Marcyn Two and Stress Coat. Here's the fish, and here are the rest of my meds:
Attached Images

Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi xaltd, got your message. It's not looking too good, is it?

Good job getting her right into epsom salts. That will help with fluid buildup in her system but unfortunately it does look as if she's at the end stages of organ failure. :(

Go ahead and stay with the Maracyn Two as it absorbs well into the system. None of the other meds you have on hand will help with a systemic infection but Maracyn Two stands the best chance. With that and the epsom salt, you've done all you can treatment wise.

Another good medication to add to your arsenal is Seachem Kanaplex. This is kanamycin, a very good broad-spectrum antibiotic that absorbs well for system infections and is one of the best meds available for treating kidney infections and other systemic (internal) infections. However, this almost always has to be ordered online. amazon.com does carry it and another good source is www.drsfostersmith.com
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

Angel just passed away.

She fought like the devil, though.

I have to get to the bottom of why this is happening to a betta every month. I've lost 3 to this sudden lethargy thing. NONE of them showed any outward signs of illness! Of course, the last two were white w/ perfect fins. Gilly, a darker fish that I lost in Feb. was looking sulky one morning but I thought nothing of it. It's perfectly normal for bettas to "hang out". By the time I got home from work, the girls were tearing her body to bits! If someone even briefly gets sulky now, it's a reason to QT, but even then I couldn't save the last 2.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #4 
Sakura8

As a good non-invasive disease preventative, I would suggest putting your remaining girls into a QT container you don't care about and treating them with methylene blue for at least 3 days. The dose is 10 drops per gallon for a soak.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

Where can I buy methylene blue?
What will it do to my container (I have a spare 10 gal).
What about the other fish/snails in my tank? Can I treat the whole tank w/ something?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #6 
Sakura8

You can treat the whole tank with methylene blue but I am not sure snails or shrimp will tolerate it. It's a mineral/dye but it has been shown to have strong disease preventative properties and it absorbs into the system. It can sometimes be used to treat dropsy when nothing else works. Small local fish stores that specialize in fish only should carry it, otherwise it can be ordered from amazon.com or drsfostersmith.com along with the Kanaplex.

The only reason I suggest a tank you don't care about is because methylene blue STAINS. If you don't mind the silicone sealant in your tank being permanently blue, then you're good to go.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #7 
Xaltd1

Funny, my sorority is decorated a bright blue- matching gravel & slag glass. I imagine the real plants wouldn't have the dye in them for long. I have bad luck w/ snails & bettas. My ramshorns seem to get to a certain size, the I find an empty shell. I have a feeling that bettas are fond of escargot, and I just never catch them in the act. My shrimp are in a special breeding tank. I don't feel any are large enough to add in w/greedy bettas. I'm convinced a betta would eat through the glass in the tank if it could!
A poster on the other thread suggested I have Angel's body analyzed by a lab. I think it's an idea worth persuing.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Sorry for the late reply; west coast time here so I was off for dinner.

Since you are so close to Tufts, it is certainly worth looking into but just a warning, the cost may be prohibitive. A breeder/shower on the forum, Coppermoon, lost her entire fish room and she had to pay quite a bit for a lab test to find out the cause. You may want to PM her and ask her how she went about it. I do know the best way to preserve a body for testing is to put it in formaldehyde. Freezing kills all the pathogens that you would be testing for. Maybe Tufts or another veterinary clinic can provide you with the formaldehyde for preservation.

I wish my bettas would eat my ramshorns. I have a 6 gallon Rubbermaid tub full of leopard ramshorns and even more still breeding in a 29gal.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #9 
Xaltd1

I bought ramshorns on ebay. Butch, my EE boy, wouldn't touch them. They started to breed in his filter. I started rinsing off his filter in the girls' tank to shake the larval snails/eggs into their tank. They stay babies for awhile, then- poof! Gone! I think I have one adult snail in there now.
I looked into testing labs, and what I could find made it clear that they did NOT serve individual fish owners; only importers of fish stock. One place in FL kills 4 fish of the shipment & then does a necropsy. Sigh.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #10 
Xaltd1

BTW, which of the meds in my picture should I return? That's $80 worth!
All I wound up opening was the Maracyn Two & Pimafix.

On the back of the Maracyn (reg., not two) it describes "gill disease" where a fish will gasp for air. No mention of bettas; just tetras, cichlids, livebearers, & catfish, no bettas... sounds like what happens to my fish.