Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #1 
bniebetta

Wild Type Compatability

This probably seems like a stupid question, but can you keep wild bettas with other bettas? Could I have a wild female with my sorority?? I wouldnt want anything bad to happen to happen to anyone
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I assume when you say wild bettas, you are talking about wild Betta splendens?

I am someone who recommends species only set-ups for wild bettas. While it is possible (if your water conditions are suitable) to house females of the splendens complex within a sorority of 'domesticated' female bettas, they are most likely not going to show off their best colours.

I had a couple of female imbellis in a sorority tank for a while and they tended to get beaten up or chased off by the rowdier female bettas.

Wild bettas also tend to prefer water that is soft-neutral, so if your water is extremely hard you may find that the fish are not as adaptable as normal splendens are.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good I was looking for something like this. I was wondering the same thing as I already have one female splendens in QT at the moment and will eventually have 6 (7?) in my 33 gallon. But I know there's a few different kinds, I tired looking at plakats but sources said they were too aggressive for splendens? And what about Simorum and Imbellis. I know those two are little more calmer.

Is it possible that I could mix Imbellis and Simorum and just have my one splendens with them or do you think she'd get too rowdy? Simorum I believe also grow bigger so there's the size issue as well. Any answers would be most appreciated.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote