Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2015, 03:21 AM   #1 
Nyri

[F]hobic to [Ph]anatic

I've decided that since I keep having things I want to post, but don't want to get annoying with it, I should start a journal. If you continue, be prepared for lots of pictures :D

For a short intro: I got my first betta in August (2014), which was a frightening experience for me because I have a fish phobia. Yes, have... I still have it

I named him Xander, and he's quite the character. Then in the past two months, I've gone from one little betta to two community tanks (one is still in progress) and five bettas. I'm completely obsessed with my fish and taking care of them, but I'm still somehow afraid of fish, but now at least it's not EVERY fish, just the big, scary, dead, out of water, or me in the same water as them fish.

Going to the fish store is crazy for me... on one level I really want to be there to get supplies and maybe new fish, but on the other hand, I'm extremely stressed out from some of the fish, and on top of that I have social anxiety, and the fish store is one place you know you're going to have to talk to someone.

Anyway... today I came home with one more betta, and due to the reaction I got from my fiance, it will probably be my last for now. He's my 5th and I think 5 is a good number, anyway.
Nyri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:38 AM   #2 
Nyri

Xander

Xander is so funny. He's always at the front of the tank wiggling at me when he sees me in the same room. He ended up biting his tail quite a bit a couple of months ago, and it's not quite all grown back yet, but he's still a pretty boy. He likes his new tank a lot better than the old 360 he was in and hasn't been having any problems lately :)
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2015, 04:04 AM   #3 
Nyri

Tyrion

Tyrion was my second. I was already bidding on some that were on Aquabid, but they weren't mine yet, so I'll count Tyrion next.

I was in Petsmart with my partner, and I'm sure there was a fish related reason, but I can't remember what it was. I made the mistake of looking at the betta wall, and saw this little EE guy trying to push his way out of the side of his cup. Looking at him at first, it looked like he was missing his top lip, and he may be, or it may just be shorter than normal, but anyway, his face looks a little funny, and he is missing half of one of his "ears" but it's starting to grow back now. I pointed him out to my partner who told me to go ahead and get him (he didn't know about aquabid), so that's how he came to be living with me.

My dog really likes him, and he's always running over to the corner to greet the dog who proceeds to lick the glass where he's sitting... so while that is adorable, the dog slobber doesn't make for good pictures (and every time I clean it off, I forget about pictures until it's messed up again). I'll get more of him eventually, though.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2015, 04:30 AM   #4 
Nyri

Yin and Yang

My first aquabid fish! I really wanted a female, so I got one, and a second that I didn't specify... didn't even know what he'd look like until I opened the package! I'm glad that's how it worked out, too because I couldn't be happier with what I got. My first thought at looking in the bag (after the "yay, they're alive!") with the light and dark fish was yin and yang, so that is where they get their names.

Yin is a bold little girl. She is also very sassy. She has gone into my cory and oto community (where she immediately started munching on snail eggs!) She reminds me of a little shark cruising around in there. She doesn't bother anyone except the snail eggs, which I really don't mind. I'm just afraid she'll get bloated eating the snail eggs plus some of the oto/cory food. Her tummy is kind of big right now.

Yang (pretty sure he's a boy) is temporarily in between my other boys, but that will change tomorrow... three gallons per fish just doesn't seem like that much. He is a little more timid, but he's friendly. I would never have picked out a white fish on my own, which is part of why I'm super glad I didn't specify anything. I'm so happy with him just as he is.

Yin is a bit darker than in the pictures... I'd just added her to the tank and she was a little stressed... since she's colored up, she hasn't held still for a picture, but I'll try to get better ones later.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #5 
Nyri

Hagrid

Today, my fiance basically took a day-long nap, and I went to Petco... bad idea. Well, not really, because I got an awesome fish out of it, and the fish got a home... I had everything set up by the time Jake woke up and he didn't even notice for a good couple of hours :P

I'd never seen a king betta in any of the local stores, so he caught my eye while I was trying not to look at the fish... there were two king bettas, and one was ignoring me, and one was following me with his head (this is how I got Xander, too... he was looking at me) so I had to take him home. The water in his cup was really dirty, and the ammonia and nitrite readings were basically off the charts.

Right now he's in quarantine in Xander's old tank, which is unfortunate because that is the worst tank to take pictures in with the cylinder shape. Planning on dividing a second 10g soon for him and the baby to share... would look funny with the huge and tiny fish next to each other. I named him Hagrid. He hasn't flared at anything that I've seen, so wondering if he's docile or just not into that right now. He seems to have a little bit of tail missing, maybe finrot? I gave him some aquarium salt for general health anyway, so hopefully that will help.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #6 
Nyri

I got carried away about talking about all of the fish after I'd already put Xander up with about as much info as I'd planned on doing for all of them, so now I feel bad that I didn't talk him up, too :(

Anyway, I got him at Petco, wasn't planning on EVER having a fish, but I really wanted to get over my fear, so I was looking at the betta wall they have. As stated before, he was looking at me, and it really intrigued me that he was looking back (none of the other fish were, and I'd never, in my very limited time with any fish seen one do that) so I figured the best way to beat the phobia was to actually get to know a fish... so I spent probably a good two hours in the store looking up what bettas need on my phone. Thankfully, this forum was pretty much the first thing I came across, and I've been here ever since.

Anyway, I'll probably post quite a few pictures here and progress on my 40 gallon community tank I'm setting up. Also changes to my 10 gallon community which I'm debating on changing to 20 but really don't want to buy a new light for...
Old 01-11-2015, 05:16 AM   #7 
Nyri

My tentative stocking plan for my 40 gallon breeder:

The panda garras are for sure, and I already have and like the emperor tetras, so they are as well. I have the cherry barbs, but am willing to put them somewhere else or part with them.

I've never seen a pencilfish in person, so I'm not really sure about them, but it seems like something different... if not maybe some rasboas or something.

I'm really unsure about the zebra loaches. They seem like they'd be better than yoyo loaches, and definitely clown loaches, but I'm afraid they might be too boisterous for the rams or take up too much bottom space. Aquadvisor doesn't say anything about them not working, but then... I don't really trust it for all of that.

I'm also considering some syno cats that my LFS has. They must be a hybrid because they're called Zebra Synodontis. The owner said they should be about 4", be fine with other fish, and even without others of their kind. Since they're a hybrid I can't plug them into aquadvisor. The owner has been really knowledgeable about everything else (except the panda garras) so I'd like to trust him, but then I don't want to get attached to a fish only to find out that it's eating my other fish or getting too big and have to get rid of it...
Old 01-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #8 
Schmoo

Tyrion and Hagrid. :P Nice names.
Schmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #9 
myexplodingcat

Good for you, working through your phobia! That takes a lot.

From Google, it really looks like you should make absolutely sure the zebra syno is what it says it is. I found liveaquaria's sale page on them, and I also found someone on a forum saying that they were sold some "zebra synodontis" that turned out to be another, predatory species that picked off their guppies.

Liveaquaria's sale page:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...35&pcatid=2935

False zebra syno:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/c...odontis-59857/

As you can see, they look quite a bit different. Make sure the ones at your pet store look like the former, and not the latter.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:34 AM   #10 
Nyri

They actually look a lot different than both of those... and the one for sale on liveaquaria says it will get 9" long, so I really hope it's not that, either. To my untrained eye, they basically look exactly like baby synodontis nigriventris except the color is a bit different... I found a picture on a catfish site of one that looked just like them saying it was a synodontis nigriventris with a zebra kutu varient... I'll attach a picture of the one I brought home if anyone wants to take a guess.

Yeah... I ended up getting one of them (and two regular s. nigriventris from another store for company and comparison along the way). It is really cute right now as a tiny baby, and I'm sure I'll probably grow attached to it, but I'm ready to take it back if any of my other fish turn up missing or harmed because of it later on.

Meanwhile the other two I got are about two to three times the size and remind me of plecos. Not the way they're shaped, but the dark coloring and they're hard to find in my tank, so it kind of startles me when I DO finally find them... plecos have always scared me because I don't see them right away, so maybe having these will help me get over that a little.

I've been trying to decide for two days whether I should move my oto/cory/betta community to a 20 gallon long and have two divided 10 gallons for my other bettas, or if I should divide the 20 into four sections for them and leave the other tank undisturbed. It seems like a lot of trouble moving the plants and substrate, but at the same time, I'd love to have several more cories and otos... maybe some galaxy rasboras or something in there with them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nyri; 01-13-2015 at 12:35 AM. Reason: forgot picture :P