Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #1 
MiriamandMoonlight

Miriam and her Bettas

Hi, this is going to be a journal/story about my bettas and my experiences with them. They are my children and I honor and respect them as fellow beings in my life, now. I once (several years ago) adopted my first betta fish, Moonlight.
He was a sweet fish. He lived in a one gallon bowl, as the petstore staff left me uneducated about the importance of tank size. All I thought I needed was a bowl, a fish, some gravel and a plant on top, and although I was uneducated and didn't provide him with the best he really needed, I loved him and he was happy. Those were very special times I spent with him. I learned to draw him, and he taught me much, and I strongly think he was willing to stay by my side and wait patiently for me to realize how he really wanted to be treated.
And I did. Not in his lifetime, though. I went ahead and got more bettas:
(in order of adoption) Dolphin, (female yellow) Doska, (female black/green) Penny (female yellow/red) I tried them together and it didn't work out, probobly because I didn't have the right settings. Then, they lived in half gallon bowls
by themselves. Then Flash, (male red crown tail) and then Distant Fire (male red veiltail) and Soshay (multicolored veiltail) came home with me.
Penny and Doska died eventually.
Moonlight was not spent as much time with, as I had too many others to worry about. Then winter came, and Moonlight lost some of his spirit. I assume it was the cold that deppressed him, but I did think he could survive it at the time,
for I had been told by a friend that bettas don't need expensive aquipment like tropical fish do. But that was not to be. By the time I learned the importance of heaters, Moonlight already had dropsy...I comforted him, and we came back together, close, for his last weeks of life. We got Betta Rivive, but it was too late.
Moonlight's last night on this planet was in fall, 2013, when he slept and, drifted away from this planet. I got a new fish, Twilight, and loved him. I tried to spend as much time as possible with my last bettas, Distant Fire Twilight and Dolphin, and they lived a little longer but because I couldn't yet get money for the heaters for the previous bettas, they died sooner or later that fall. But Dolphin survived, and is still living! I now have another betta fish Yorin, or Yin for short, along with my sweet little girl dolphin. This is a diery of them, from their perspective.
MiriamandMoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #2 
Charc14

I'm so sorry about your lose
But congrats on Dolphin and Yorin! What type is yorin? Marius, ( Mine) Is a bicolored blue and red Veiltail.
Charc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #3 
MiriamandMoonlight

Now, on to the story:

CHAPTER 1, DOLPHIN
It was early morning, and the sun was not yet up. It was very dark, and somewhat cold. It was fall. Dolphin sat in the corner of her home, staring out the glass at the empty bed where her human, Miriam, should be sleeping. But she never slept there,
because, well, Dolphin didn't know why she didn't sleep there. Obviously it was Miriam's space, all to herself, but she never slept there. "She must have some remote den?" Thought Dolphin to herself before slowly drifting off again, into sleep. Yin, her neigbor, was drifting around, he was awake. But Dolphin was still sleepy. She thought about what she wanted tomorow, and it was more plants. Another plant, live,
to add to her home, and she wished Miriam would do that for her.

Behind the Big Grey Rock, she went over to her pink plant and lay down again.
Her waters were still quiet, and she hoped they would stay that way, untill
light swept into the room and everyone was awake.
The remote noises of...who always made the noises across the room at night?
She always felt the vibrations of noises across the room coming from the foot
of Miriam's bed, but she had never seen who made those such noises.
Anyway, now they were quieting down like they always did in the morning;
and Miriam would soon be here in the light.
Dolphin accociated Miriam & morning, because in with the light always came Miriam!
And it would be much lighter soon. Dolphin looked over into the tank next door.
Yin was sleeping. So Dolphin slept soundly too.
She drempt that a million bloodworms came in and crouded her water!
Miriam was there. She had shaken the bloodworms in sooo thick that Dolphin
couldn't see!!! Dolphin suddenly couldn't see Miriam and then she realized her owner had been swallowed by a bloodworm! Dolphin noticed the bloodworms GROWNIG AND GROWING and then.........

Silence, as Dolphin woke up, she realized how tired she still was,
so she gave up the idea of the bloodworms and went back to sleep. This time, she dremped pleasently, she was in a place she had never seen before, where the air was fresh, and it was so light and SOOO thin she actually had to Puuush her way through it, and there was nothing to hold her up in the air. She was at a place where the top of the water was far, far away and blue. This was a great kind of place. Her home was back INSIDE this HUGE box thingy, and when Miriam grabbed her and put her back in, she felt shocked and heavy! Then she woke up! The water was warm now, and she swam around and noticed she felt great! No bloodworms (although NOW she wanted some!) and back in her watery home. This was heaven!!! Miriam, she now noticed, was standing next door, HUGE Miriam! She wanted Miriam to come over to her, but Miriam didn't see her awake, and she ran out through the big box opening. Dolphin sat and thought about her day today.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #4 
MiriamandMoonlight

Hi! Welcome!
Yorin is a pink veiltail with red fins. He is beautiful and very sweet and loving.
I now have them in 5 and 10 gallon tanks (Dolphin is 5, Yorin is 10, but I'm upgrading Dolphin as soon as possible) with filters. Yorin has a heater, and Dolphin's heater is coming before winter, right now her tank stays at a reasonable temp most of the time.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #5 
MiriamandMoonlight

Oh, and I also have a spotted ramshorn snail named Sunny with Dolphin :)
Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #6 
MiriamandMoonlight

CHAPTER 2, DOLPHIN'S DAY

It was late morning now, and Miriam came into the room again. Dolphin wanted her to read a book; she liked just to hear her voice. And, lucky day, Miriam did just that!
She talked and talked, into this cardboard thing, and Dolphin listened ceriously to her
talk. Then Miriam went over to pick out another book, went over to Yin's tank, and talked into it again. Dolphin listened some more. Then Miriam left. Yin was still sitting there, staring off after Miriam, who had left, and Dolphin went over to the other side of the tank and took a gulp of yummy air and swallowed it down into her labyrinth.
Now Yorin was taking a nap and Dolphin kinda wished she could be there, and they could mate, and......."THUMP!" Sherill, Miriam's mom came into Miriam's room with a pile of something soft, and sqwishy looking, like she once in a while did, while yelling at Miriam for not coming in with that pile of squishy things herself.
Then she would pack them into a drawer next to the fish. She looked into Yorin's tank and said hi to him, then to Dolphin, then left.
And Dolphin and Yorin were left to their own business.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #7 
MiriamandMoonlight

CHAPTER 3, YIN'S DAYS

Yin sat in the middle of his plant, feeling pretty good. It was sunny in his tank, and that, along with the heater he had, made it a perfect 80 degrees, perfect temperature for a fish like him! He was feeling pretty good, when Miriam came in. She had a bag of water with her! "What could THAT be?" he wondered as Miriam came closer. She had just come home from yoga class.

Yorin jumped up and down around the front of his tank. He couldn't see what it was. It was something big...and wet. Miriam went out of Yin's view for a second, then came over and put in a plant!!! Yin was exited! His very own second plant. It was named Bandito, and was big and a nice, bright, green color. It was perfect for his tank.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #8 
MiriamandMoonlight

Hmmmmmm... I'm not sure whether it's best to continue with it this way, or to switch to my perspective?

What do you think?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #9 
MiriamandMoonlight

I will tell it from my perspective, then.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #10 
MiriamandMoonlight

Torn fin and a few other questions:

So hi,
this morning I went to check on my fish,
and luckily, all was well! However, when I turned on the filter in Yin's tank,
(I turn the filters in both tanks on and off, so Fishies get a chance to rest.)
He apparently ripped his fin on the filter!!! It is a big rip.
Not sure what to do about it; I turned the filter off, but can't leave it off 'cause the tank is in the middle of cycling and needs the filter.
How can I heal him? And also, I decided not to start another post for this so:
Dolphin's had Ich for about a month with no harm done to her.
This is very rare for ich, right?
I don't really know what to do about it, I've tried using salt with no results...
I think it IS ich, but what to do?

P.S.
I don't want to use Ich chemical treatment on her.