Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #1 
Johnny579

My fry journal...

I've posted several times about my molly and Cory cat fry so I've decided to keep one continuous post. I've been raising molly fry for a while and this is my first batch of corydoras. Pictured are my four original adult mollies, the black female is camera shy, with two juveniles from my first batch. Then you see my Molly fry tank, there are currently about 4 different batches of fry, about 40 total in the tank, I recently took a bunch to my LFS. Then you'll see my peppered Cory's, their eggs, and the breeder net with their fry.

I was able to hatch about 10 eggs successfully and they've grown noticeably in the last week. I feed them powdered omega one flakes algae wafers and shrimp pellets. I tried hatching brine shrimp eggs but that was unsuccessful. They all eat like pigs and seem very healthy. Any tips on raising them are appreciated.

I'm not sure how well I'll keep up with this, depends on how hectic my schedule is and how many replies I get.
Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny579; 04-08-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Johnny579 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #2 
Johnny579

One thing I forgot to mention is the store credit i get for these fry are going towards an eventual discus tank.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #3 
niQ

Congratulations on all those babies!!
niQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #4 
DaytonBetta

Very cool that you have cory babies!

Welcome to Journaling! I wouldn't expect lots of replies; many people just like to read. It's also somewhat of an etiquette question. If you have a lot of chattering on your journal it makes it hard to read and find information. You can see how many have visited by looking at the Views on the main journal page.

I do the journal for a couple reasons. I like having everything in one spot, I can look back and see when I've done water changes, gotten new additions, or tried something new. I can compare pictures of my tanks then and now. I enjoy writing and sharing information. I love reading everyone else's journals and hope that mine brings enjoyment to other forum members.

I hope you'll stick around. I'd love to hear about your Discus plans!
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #5 
Johnny579

My future plans...

Ive usually got a new tank idea in mind and there are several I'm keeping in mind as a down the road project. Concerning my mollies and corydoras, they currently residing in a 20 gallon long tank that also holds 2 upside down catfish, an albino bn pleco, and a synodontis lace cat that is getting a lot bigger than my LFS guy promised me it would get. My lace lives in the cave you see in the pics and I call it the lace ness monster. This catfish is one of the reasons I have both short term and long term plans.

My goal for this 20 gallon tank is to eventually have it just mollies and corys. I'll leave it planted and decorated pretty much the same. As for the other fish, I'm waiting till my LFS to have its next dollar per gallon sale and pick up a 29 gallon long tank to house the upside down catfish, bn pleco and lace cat. It will probably be used to house excess mollies and corys also. That setup will be used while I'm building up my store credit to reach my dream goal, the discus tank.

I have many plans for this tank. It will be a minimum of 75 gallons, preferably 100+. It will house the mentioned above catfish, but of course this setup be primarily for the discus. The aquascaping is what I'm most excited about. I've posted about this before and im glad to be on my way to doing it. I want to create a star wars battle of endor themed tank. It will be a black sand bottom, planted with some kind of grass, plenty of java fern, swords, val, anubias, etc. I will use tall driftwood and java moss to create the trees and ewok houses, I'll use a vine like plants, probably moneywort, to create the rope bridges. I'll have to find aquarium safe figures of rebels, stormtroopers and the walkers and other vehicles. I'll have to find some kind of cave I use as the shield bunker. The discus will represent the ships fighting in space and I want to get a good sized pleco, preferably a watermelon pleco, I can call Vader. Other than that I'll probably add a few mollies and corys and turn the 29 into my primary breeding tank.

Last edited by Johnny579; 04-12-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #6 
Johnny579

Here are a couple new pics of my Cory fry, its hard to tell but they are starting to look like see through spotted versions of the adults. The last is one of my favorite molly fry. She's nearly 2 months old and the only one that seems to be showing traits of being a balloon molly. I'm not trying to breed balloons but my little orange fat girl was sort of a rescue story and I wasn't expecting her to breed. This little one will not be going to my LFS, she will be put into the main tank with the adults when shes a little bigger. I just wish she would stay still for pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #7 
niQ

Aww very cute pics, thx for sharing!
Old 04-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #8 
Johnny579

Thought I'd post some recent pics of my Cory cat fry. Now that they're too big to hide in the frame of the net I'm counting about 15, 14 that are growing nicely and one runt that seems more active than the rest. I can't wait till I can put them in the main tank.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #9 
Johnny579

Fry update and new additions...

Time for my weekly fry posting and to show off my new new fish. I've really fallen in love with corydoras, I originally resisted getting them until I set up my third tank, which was my first sand tank, which is still the only tank with cory cats. My fry are doing great I haven't lost any so far, they started coming to the edge of the net when they think its feeding time. They are still camera shy so its hard to tell how much they've grown.

Then I've got some pics of my 2 new melini corys. They wouldn't come out of hiding till I turned off the tank light. I only got good pics of one but if you can find him, both are in each pic and my albinos seem to love the camera. I'm going to get more when my LFS gets in its next shipment and probably set up a ten gallon just to breed them in. My LFS guy told me he could give me the most store credit/cash for these fry.

I also picked up a silver algae eater or reticulated flying fox for my 20 gallon community tank. I had never seen these guys before and they were labeled "Flying Fox (Siamese algae eater)" it was neither, actually a close relative of both. I was able to figure it out with one of my other post and google. They are peaceful, eat mostly algae, and I've read reports of it rivaling sae's algae eating abilitys. It has been great with all my fish so far, including my betta, and has already cleaned half my plants of brown algae.

Lastly we have an updated shot of my molly fry tank. Still around 40 in there, I have about eight or ten that will be going to my LFS in a week or two. I'm moving one of my pregnant mollys into a breeder net in this tank today, she's about to pop should give birth soon and my intentions are to do a weekly posting on those fry along with my Cory cat fry.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #10 
niQ

Aww i luv looking at ur cory babies, they are just soo cute! Thx for sharing ☺