Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 AM   #1 
TealHoundogg

Post Family Matters ( Turquoise Dragon butterfly HM x Green HM)

If anyone asks, yes I'm referencing the sitcom... Decided to post a blog/log about how things go.

Here's my two bettas.

Cole (Turquoise dragon halfmoon with butterfly markings)

Name:  100_1515.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  41.0 KB

Myra (Green halfmoon)

Name:  100_1517.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  60.8 KB

Excuse the quality, Kodak camera was on flash for some odd reason. Will try to post better photos.

Will post how things go.

So far, they've been pretty relaxed since I gave them a break before I try again. Though Cole has his moments where he's like...

"What happened to my wife?!"

Watching these two beats renting a Romantic comedy from Netflix.
TealHoundogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cole is beautiful! Although he's not a HM, more like a DeT. And the girl is actually a VT. I really like Cole though!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #3 
TealHoundogg

Thanks.

Though the day I got him the bag they shipped in from the breeder was marked half moon but you have a point his tail looks different than my late betta Theo who was a butterfly halfmoon. So, Myra's a veiltail... I just assumed she was a halfmoon looking on google.

So, I guess their sons and daughters will probably end up being a mix of delta and veil.

Would love it if they get some of his markings.

Last edited by TealHoundogg; 05-16-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #4 
TealHoundogg

Kay, new questions. I have read veiltail is a domenant gene and deltas carry halfmoon genes which are ressesive. By the same token, I've read deltas are hard to come by in pet stores.

Both my fish came from breeders so I'm not sure what their parents look like.

I'm assuming my bettas' sons and daughters will be a mix of deltas and veiltails and maybe a couple halfmoons if their Dad carries those genes.

Any idea what I might end up with by mixing a delta and veiltail?

Also, is true that if the water in the tank is warmer most of the offspring will be males?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It depends on your area, my area is full of DeT's.

Most likely you're going to get a mix of tail types, most of them will be poorly spread DeT's (DeT are supposed to have a spread of around 160 degrees and more than 2 rays to be considered a DeT, otherwise it's just a VT) and a bunch of VT's. You may and that's a very big MAY, end up with a few round tails (variation of VT) or HM's depending on their genes since we don't know them. But for the most part you're going to end up with a classic Turquoise VT with a few of them having the butterfly markings.

And no, that "rule" applies to some species of fish but it doesn't have a huge role in Bettas as seen thus far. Unless some breeder wants to come in and chime differently about it, I've seen no difference between water temperatures and direct correlations to the sex ratio of the fish.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #6 
TealHoundogg

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

At the place where I got Myra she was in a tank with her sisters four of them were the same color as her, the rest were cambodian and one was solid blue.

I don't know if she carries those colors.

I've seen some halfmoons in Petco but there's a lot of crown tails, veils and some double tails.

The aquarium store where I got Cole had a show quality halfmoon for sale once and a beautiful white female.

They did have some halfmoon plakats.

I've heard veil tails are common.

Before I got Cole the place where he came from sold out of halfmoons within like a day. So I'm assuming that's their best seller.

Last edited by TealHoundogg; 05-16-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Most likely not, she's turquoise which means she'll appear green or blue depending on the lighting situation. Most colors that are solid breed true which means if you breed Royal blue x Royal Blue you'll get all Royal Blue. Of course with some varying fish because pure genetics are extremely rare in our fish because of all the mixing. It can get more complex though if you are breeding Koi's and Marbles because then if you breed a Koi and a Koi the first generation you'll get a bunch of cellophanes, cambodians, some solid blues and reds. And then after that you breed again to get more koi's since they do not breed true the first round.

It's complicated and I might not be the best person to explain all the genetics since I'm not fully educated in it myself, indjo or trilobite both have extensive knowledge of genetics so if you want to learn more you can PM them and ask ^_^ but most likely your girl is from a solid turquoise line, not from a koi line.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #8 
TealHoundogg

You're probably right. Myra looks green most of the time but other times when she flares or shows her vertical stripes she turns dark blue.

She had a sister who was solid blue so she might have sons and daughters with that color.

The tip of Cole's tail is actually clear so I'm not sure if that came from a cellophane relative in his heritage.

I will PM indjo and trilobite

Thanks again.

Last edited by TealHoundogg; 05-16-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The tips will most likely color up to white with age, he may also lose the butterfly markings with age.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #10 
TealHoundogg

I see.

He's seven months old as of this week so I guess I'll find out as he gets older.

My late halfmoon Theo was a butterfly too but when he got fin rot they came back as solid blue, at one point they almost turned white again but he never got his original colors back and the freckle like spots on his face faded.

In terms of size, Myra's longer than Cole, does it make a difference if the female is larger than the male in terms of breeding?

Reason being is I've been told it's better if the female is larger than her mate.

She actually did the submissive pose earlier this week which I was surprised of but I'm glad they like each other. That's always a good thing.

Last edited by TealHoundogg; 05-16-2014 at 02:40 PM.