Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #1 
PetMania

Golden Hearts Rescue

Lately, I have found myself taking in deformed, mistreated fish. And I wish to continue doing so. I used to only rescue bettas, but then I started taking in platys, guppies, and goldfish. Right now, I have five rescues that are more than happy at the moment.

On this thread, I'll be posting updates, pictures, and letting y'all know when I have new rescues and what not.
First we have Patches. She is a veiltail/fantail goldfish that has a deformed upper lip of the mouth and bent tails. I found Patches at Petco when she was scrawny and very shy. Now, she is the life of my living room tank.
Attached Images

PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #2 
PetMania

Next is Goliath. He was rescued from a Wal-Mart tank after I witnessed a group of oscars beating him up like a toy. This sweet little boy is already growing fast and emerging from his shy depths. He is a common plecostomus.

Attached Images

Old 12-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #3 
Schmoo

I really enjoy the filters on your pictures... /random xD;

Also, Patches looks like a sweetheart. <3
Schmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #4 
PetMania

Thanks! Yes, she really is.

So this is Paisley. I got her March 29th of this year and so far, she has grown an inch in body length. She is also a sweetheart and (I'd like to think) the mascot of this rescue. After I rescued her from PetSmart, she became some what of a big sister to Patches and their other at-the-time tankmate, Indy. Paisley is an orange oranda.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #5 
PetMania

I'll get going on the next few profiles.

I really love doing this. I always go to the petstore and other places and see all of these poor fish just being abused. Even though us fish keepers have tried for years to end this sad treatment of our finned friends, we know it won't stop. Many people say to me, "Buying that fish only encourages the abuse. It won't make a difference."

Well, I say, "It made a difference to that fish."
Old 12-27-2014, 01:26 AM   #6 
PetMania

Here is Indy (Independence). She was rescued from Wal-Mart from a tank of other black moors that developed sores and had ripped fins from rubbing against objects and each other in such limited space. At first, I thought she was dead, floating about the others. But then she sprang to life when I came up to the glass. Because little Indy was emaciated and obviously smaller than the others, I took her home and named her Independence, as it was the Fourth of July.

Indy was about 1" when I got her, and now, 5 months later with some TLC, she is nearing the 2" mark.

Such a free and independent spirit.
Before and after:
Attached Images

Last edited by PetMania; 12-27-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:45 AM   #7 
PetMania

Paisley's Story

It's hard to have "favorites", but we all end up having that one fish that really makes us smile the most. And for me, that's Paisley. She has been the fastest growing of them all and truly has a golden heart.

I went to PetSmart one day to pick up a few things for my bettas and stopped by the goldfish section. Among the fancy veiltails and calico ryukins, a small, dainty, standard orange oranda was at the top of the tank, staring at me. I was very surprised at how skinny and under-developed (based on her wen growth) she was. My mother was very insistent that I not get her, but my gut told me otherwise. The whole ride home, I couldn't wait to put her in with Patches.

I got her as a friend when Patches (at the time known as Bobbles Einstein) was pretty depressed. The minute I released her into the tank after the 30 minutes, Patches was swimming around playing with her new friend.

When I turned the tank in my kitchen into a goldfish tank, I moved Patches & Indy into it. Paisley seemed content with the switch at first, but I could tell that she was kinda lonely. I wanted another oranda to go in with her, but most of the ones I saw were either too nippy with their neighbors or too big.

I eventually found Elliot, a small, half n half oranda that caught my eye. I got him situated in the tank and waited. At first, Paisley ignored him and went on with her normal routine. But after about a half hour, she seemed to realize there was a new kid in the tank. They chased each other around, ate together, slept side by side. Ever since, they have been inseperable, and I couldn't imagine splitting them apart.

Paisley has come so far in the past 9 months. She went from being a dainty 1" to a monster at 3". Her story tells why I do what I do: to give these fish, however fragile and small they may be, a second chance to show their golden hearts.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #8 
PetMania

Ah, Sushi. This white ranchu has caused me to scratch my head in wonder every now and then. Her odd, yet amusing behavior -- speeding around the tank and swimming against the filter current -- has added quite the element to my tank.

Sushi was a rescue from PetCo. Now, she wasn't the usual fin rot, ich, or emaciation rescue. I saw how beautiful she was (a rare pure white ranchu) and thought how amazing it would be for her to have the chance to grow up and be the prized jewel of someone's tank. Whether it be mine or a loving new owner's, I'm content she will have a great and beautiful life.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #9 
PetMania

Beethoven....no, not the musician

Okay, this little pleco is the clown of my rescue. Beethoven is a Bushynose/Bristlenose Plecostomus rescued from PetCo when I saw him in an oscar tank. He was about an inch when I got him and is now 2". I really love this little guy and hope he lives a long and happy life.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #10 
tiffanylucky

I just want to subscribe to this thread because Petmania is amazing at caring for animals.
tiffanylucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passionate, rescues