Ammonia: 0.25-0.50ppm
N03= 5.0+ppm
Ph=7.6
temp=80F

I look forward to your comments
AlgarveblueVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:12 AM   #2 
litelboyblu

What a very beautiful home indeed!!! and too mention.. A VERY beautiful fishhhhh
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #3 
AlgarveblueVT

thank you - look forward to comments about his conditions.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #4 
hrutan

It looks like he has a touch of fin rot. For now, just make sure his water is ultra clean, and maybe add a pinch of aquarium salt (dissolved first into the new water you change in). Most of the time clean water is all they need to recover, but if it gets worse you can look at more intensive treatment.

The water parameters aren't ideal - detectable ammonia means you have it either in your tap water, or you need to increase water changes. Have you tested your tap water?

If the ammonia's in your tap water, be sure to use a drop per gallon of Prime or Ammo-Lock (I recommend Prime) per day to render it harmless.

The tank's small, but you can upgrade that in time. Since you can fit a heater, it'll do for now. Do you know how many gallons it holds? Water change schedule varies with tank size. A bowl that size probably needs to be changed 100% every day or every other day. If you have no other way to know, you can use a gallon water jug and measure how much it takes to fill the bowl during changes. :)
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:40 AM   #5 
AlgarveblueVT

Question flames betta bowl setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrutan View Post
It looks like he has a touch of fin rot. For now, just make sure his water is ultra clean, and maybe add a pinch of aquarium salt (dissolved first into the new water you change in). Most of the time clean water is all they need to recover, but if it gets worse you can look at more intensive treatment.

The water parameters aren't ideal - detectable ammonia means you have it either in your tap water, or you need to increase water changes. Have you tested your tap water?

If the ammonia's in your tap water, be sure to use a drop per gallon of Prime or Ammo-Lock (I recommend Prime) per day to render it harmless.

The tank's small, but you can upgrade that in time. Since you can fit a heater, it'll do for now. Do you know how many gallons it holds? Water change schedule varies with tank size. A bowl that size probably needs to be changed 100% every day or every other day. If you have no other way to know, you can use a gallon water jug and measure how much it takes to fill the bowl during changes. :)

thanks for the advice...
yes from the source the water tests .25ppm( our water is well water)
I do have Ammo-Lock, as I cant get Prime here.
I thought that bettas dont like 100% water changes.?
My bowl is 12 Litres.

As for fin rot- exactly how much salt is needed??
As I will be doing a water change soon.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:09 AM   #6 
AlgarveblueVT

I have noticed that his water has gone a little cloudy.
so I will put the bowl under a slow running tap , which normally clears the cloudiness.
Also add 3 drops of ammo lock as recommended.
and a pinch of disolved aq. salt.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:52 AM   #7 
AlgarveblueVT

flames betta bowl setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrutan View Post

After letting the tap run slowly in the bowl for 30+ min.
The ammonia is now 0-0.25ppm. :)
will add 3 drops of ammo lock and a pinch of dissolved aq. salt
Old 08-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #8 
AlgarveblueVT

I am feeding him 2 omega ones in the morning and 2 in the evening.
will give him a treat on saturday and fast him on sunday
Old 08-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #9 
hrutan

That all sounds good. By a pinch I really mean a pinch - it's more of a gentle preventative, and more salt than that isn't good for them unless you're trying specifically to treat something. Fin rot is best treated with clean, warm water and 100% water changes every day until it's gone.

Lucky you with well water. No chlorine! You might want to pick up water conditioner anyway, if you have the chance and money - a good conditioner also removes heavy metals. Be sure to read the label first to make sure it does that.

Bettas don't really enjoy 100% water changes, but in the case of illness or very small containers, it's the best. When you don't remove water 100%, it becomes a sneaky slow build-up of ammonia, because the leftover water has ammonia in it, and it blends with the clean water you're putting in. Every water change, the fresh water has less and less of an edge over the dirty water already present.

When you do 100% water changes, you clean everything, including the gravel, temperature match the water as best as you can, and then float your betta in the new tank. Acclimate him as though he is going into a brand new tank for the very first time by letting him adjust to the temperature, and then slowly replacing his cup water with the tank water over the course of around 30 minutes. If you do so gently, they will have a minimum of stress.

If that bowl is 2.5 gallons, after the fin rot is gone you can go to one 50% and one 100% change per week. That should keep the water clean enough for his continued good health. :)
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #10 
AlgarveblueVT

I use Api pur for water conditioner.
oh... i didnt know about cleaning everything when doing 100% WC.

I let the tap run slowly on his bowl over a period of time and that removed the cloudiness.