Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #1 
lizcateyes

Sorority Journal

So, to make a long story short my old sorority setup was 3 girls who were from the same spawn and sadly when Baby passed I had to separate her sisters because there was too much fin nipping. I missed seeing girls, though, so I thought I'd try to set up a more "robust" sorority with more girls.

For the rest of my girls aside from my remaining 2, I tried to pick out girls that were healthy and roughly the same age, because I thought that would help cut down on aggression. I quarantined them just to make sure there wasn't any disease, too.

They were introduced and placed in the tank yesterday...and things seemed ok.

However, one of the girls i got is now building a bubble nest?

My 2 older gals have been behaving and have decided to claim ownership of one of the caves, and there's been relatively few spats. For the most part everyones' fins are ok and everyone is coming up to be fed, so I figure no one feels threatened.

BUT I'm worried about the bubble nest builder. Is she really a really young plakat male? Should I jar her/him and hope that there's no bloodshed if I disrupt the peace that seems to be existing?

Tank: 10gal, cycled, planted, temp is 78 and all other params are good. There's 6 girls plus 2 nerites. My worry is that maybe one of those 6 girls is really a boy because of the bubble building?
lizcateyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #2 
hrutan

Was it one of the ones I sent, Liz?
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #3 
lizcateyes

No, it wasn't hrutan, your girls have been so pretty but so hard to take a decent pic with on my phone.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #4 
hrutan

OK, haha. I had one "girl" turn out to be a short-fin boy in the spawn. No idea where he came from...so I was worried you got another, haha.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:00 AM   #5 
lizcateyes

Here's a pic of the bubble nest, and pics of the fish who I'm confused about:
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2015, 12:09 AM   #6 
lizcateyes

This fish was in a female veiltail jar, I liked how pastel blue she was and didn't seem much bigger than any of the other girls. She's roughly the same size as my other girls, unlike my older boys the beard is not so pronounced and I don't see it ever fully flaring, just building the bubble nest and chasing the other girls away.

I'm still not sure what to think :-/
Old 01-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #7 
hrutan

That is one heck of a bubble nest. She looks iffy to me. Maybe female maybe not. Have you tried putting her in a jar, and a male in another jar, and putting them next to each other to flare? See how they react to each other.

We might not be able to tell, but the fish always know.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #8 
artemis35

That suspect fish definitely looks male to me.

My reasoning is that the body looks too "robust" and the dorsal fin is way too big/wide to be a female. All of my females have very skinny dorsal fins, even those with longer, fuller caudal and anal fins.

I could definitely be wrong, but I have had quite a few females (6 currently) and "male" is my strong suspicion.
artemis35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #9 
hrutan

I'm also, hesitantly, leaning towards male, but I'd still do the jar test to be sure. I have plenty of chubby girls with big dorsals, but the front of this fish's body doesn't have a bulge indicating ovaries. This guy might be a "tweener," (a hybrid between short and long), a throwback to short fin, or a bad plakat. Can't see the rays real well, but the spread in the caudal suggests that no matter what, (s)he doesn't appear to be a veil, so you're already working with a mislabeled jar.

If it's male, he'll continue building that nest and driving the females away. The females, if they are unsure of their pecking order, will squabble, and eventually the dominant female and he will wrap.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #10 
lizcateyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrutan View Post
That is one heck of a bubble nest. She looks iffy to me. Maybe female maybe not. Have you tried putting her in a jar, and a male in another jar, and putting them next to each other to flare? See how they react to each other.

We might not be able to tell, but the fish always know.
I tried the jarring when I first got Robin, just to try to see what the personality was and to gauge aggression because it's one thing to be passive in the store, and another to react once in a more stable set-up. This fish wouldn't flare, but I'll try again and report back.

Tags
beep bop, heehee, sorority aggression, sorority female community, sorority gone wrong, sorority tank