Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #1 
Crossroads

Cross's Downward Spiral into MTS

A reboot on my journal, this time with an intention to keep the thing up and going.

I got into bettas when I was around 6 or 8-ish. I had a red/blue bicolor VT male named Rainbow. My mom had a royal blue VT who's name I don't remember. I remember loving to watch him swim around and flare up. He was kept in an unheated, unfiltered bowl and cared for by my mother. We were forced to get rid of him and my mother's when we moved as we often did when I was young due to on and off relationships with her ex-husband. I didn't get anymore fish until March of 2014. However, that didn't stop me owning pets. I owned a hamster, several dogs and cats, helped with my mom's rabbit and our iguanas, Izzy, Lizzy and Garfield and then when I was 15, acquired two male Red-Eared Sliders, Big Mac and Speedy Gonzalez who are with me to this day. After getting them, I knew I wanted snakes. Always had since I was little. Before moving out, I saved up and bought a corn snake and a red-tail boa. My cornsnake is still with me while the red-tail was relinquished due to an ongoing fight with mites I couldn't get rid of. I have since owned a Savannah Monitor which died due to a genetic defect in her jaw that kept her from eating enough to grow and thrive, a ball python that
died due to getting poisoned by aerosol, which was the fault of a cousin walking in wearing too much Axe cologne and a baby corn snake whose death I have never figured out the cause. I had fed him a couple days prior and he was eating and drinking as normal. I left for work that morning, having checked on him and refilled his water bowl. When I returned for work 4 hours later he was dead. No outer injuries. After that death I swore off reptiles. I had no luck keeping any of them except my adult corn snake. Then my journey with bettas began, 3-4 months after the death of my baby corn.

3/26:
Mako was half-planned but mostly an impulse rescue. I had hovered around the betta section of my local Walmart because I've always loved fish. I looked at them whenever I was in the store. Especially the bettas. On a whim I inspected them closer and found him. He was perfect. I had never really paid attention to the crowntails until him. His colors were dull and despite some lethargy, I think from loneliness, when I picked him up he swam to me and blew some bubbles. I put him back, staring at my empty bank account and knowing I got paid in two days. I couldn't leave him.

3/28
In the two days since, his water had gotten worse and was the nasty orange brown of a neglected betta. His fins were in slight tatters and his color had dulled out more. I bought him almost immediately, scooping up everything I thought I needed and spending way more than I should have to set him up in an unheated 1.5 gallon which at the time I thought was more than enough space and was the right conditions. When I got home and broadcasted the news to a friend they quickly corrected my error in judgement. They said they hoped the 1.5 was temporary and that I needed a heater quickly. They pointed me towards a 5 gallon tank, which I relayed to my roommate who had bought a female royal blue at the same time I got Mako.

4/6
Then I really began to do my research. I asked a friend there for help with the information I already had. She pointed me toward affordable tanks and helped me pick gravel, a filter that wouldn't harm his fins, live plants, decor, and got me all set up. That was when I found...Thanatos. He was shy and small but a gorgeous Black Devil dragonscale crowntail. I was in love. Until I found out his less than personable personality. I ended up spending over 130$ getting my boys set up and not a single regret about it.

Weeks went by with my boys getting prettier and prettier.

Weeks turned into months, and Thanatos had gotten bigger and Mako is a beast. He dwarfs my other bettas. I got Thresh and Erebus, and battled some slight ick with them both that apparently hadn't cleared up after I deemed it treated in the hospital tanks. Thanatos comes down with a particularly stubborn case but several treatments of Ick Guard. Mako's ick was more easily treated and cleared up in a few days.

6/22
I impulse rescued Natal and Red Fish, both suffering from Walmart neglect and fin rot.I got them set up in 10 gallon tanks and began to try to save them from their neglect.

6/23
Natal was doing well and had settled in nicely. "Red Fish" seemed to have perked up.

6/26
Red Fish's swimming had turned erratic and is worrying. He favors the top of the water and darts about. A small bubble nest can be seen in the corner of the tank however. Natal has built a substantial bubble nest.

6/27
Before heading to work, I noticed that Red Fish had seemed to calm but still favored the top of the water. Natal's fins have begun to grow back. Returning from work I found Red Fish dead. No clamped fins, only the erratic swimming as a sign something was amiss. Now having had experience with Natal and some SBD and bloat I can only wonder if it was something like that.

6/28
Natal is still doing great! To fill the empty tank left by Red Fish, I set out to find someone to fill that hole. I found Nereus, my goofy delta tail.

7/6
My first bout with Nereus' tail biting. He had gotten stressed due to my cat ripping the heater out of the water and the water cooling. I did a water change and he perked up for a while

...to be continued.
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #2 
hrutan

Thank you for your story. Hopefully you will keep it up - the rest of us with MTS need the reassurance, haha.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #3 
Crossroads

7/13
Natal gorged himself on leftover food in the bottom of the tank and became extremely bloated. He recovered from his bout with SBD, but it certainly scared me and gave me a sleepless night.

7/14
Brought home Vincentius after a long internal battle over buying him after going to the store for....Java Moss and Daphnia. Instead I walk out with a new 5.5 gal, heater, gravel and a cute, grumpy little spazz.

7/15
I decided to start planting my tanks, so I delved into the research of planted tanks with the help of some members on the board.

7/17
Work on planting my tanks begins! My tanks started as low tech tanks with incandescent bulbs with laterite, gravel and FloraMax.

7/18
Tanks are still fairly barren of plants.

7/20
Convince my roommate to get another betta, Serafino the Luvdisc joins the family.

7/27
All of my tanks with the exception of Natal's go to 50/50 CFLs. My plants are starting to grow.

7/28
Ordered a large mass of plants, had a scare with Natal bloating again but being fine not even 30 minutes later.

7/29
Betta tubes by ricepattyfish5 arrive.

7/30
Nereus shreds his tail during a water change. Treatment begins to repair his fins.

7/31
Plants come in. Tanks are planted that night, drop my phone in the turtle tank. Phone survived.

8/1-8/22
Nothing much happened. Had a couple scares with a few of my fish, like thinking Vince had velvet and realizing it was his iridescence instead. My plants grew in like mad, fought with algae in Nereus' tank.

8/23
Brought home Agrius the giant for my birthday present to myself. Total tanks in the house:

40 gallon wide terrarium - Maizey the 2 year old creamsicle Corn Snake. Lazy little bucket of sass.

40 gallon wide viquarium - 5 year old Red-Eared Sliders Big Mac and Speedy Gonzalez. Doofuses. That's all that needs to be said of either.

10 gallon long - Nereus the blue/red metallic DeT. I have nicknamed him my Parrot Fish.

10 gallon long - Natal the chocolate dalmatian VT. He is my rescued show off. Also a spazz.

5.5 gallon aquarium - Mako the steel/red bicolor DDR CT. My big sweet boy, hates his reflection.

5.5 gallon - Vincentius the salamander EEHMPK. He is my spazz.

5.5 gallon - Serafino the red something or other DT. Nicknamed "Luvdisc" or "Fino".

5 gallon Minibow - Thanatos black copper/red bicolor "Black Devil" CT. He is my little antisocial doofus.

3 gallon Kritter Keeper - Agrius the blue and red bicolor( as far as I can tell for now) giant.

8/24
Found out a couple of my tanks got some duckweed and pond snails. For now they'll stay. The duckweed isn't particularly big or bothersome, yet, and the pond snail is adorable to watch zoom around the tank.

Last edited by Crossroads; 08-26-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #4 
Crossroads

Tuesday, 8/26.
I did a gravel vac on Nereus' tank to clear out some poop and algae. His fins are looking much better. Agrius is settling in nicely. I have caught him building bubble nests. The silly guy sucks in so much air he goes vertical, nose up every time. Totally adorable and hilarious to watch. Natal spazzed when I came to feed him, making laps around the tank before attacking his food. You'd think I never feed him! Going to start uploading some fish videos to my photobucket. My pictures don't do my boys justice on their personalities. Today is the 5th month anniversary of meeting Mako in two days will be 5 months since I got into the hobby. I fed Fino and he swam away from the final pellet before turning around and getting it when I told him "You missed one!" Agrius eats like a horse. Today will be the ninth day of my drawing-a-day challenge I put on myself.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #5 
Crossroads

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrutan View Post
Thank you for your story. Hopefully you will keep it up - the rest of us with MTS need the reassurance, haha.
Well, I'm not so sure I'll be reassuring to other MTS sufferers. I'm at 9 tanks and still want a few more, maybe get into breeding haha. But we'll see. I can fit a 29 gallon and 3 more 5.5 gallons into my little area that my other tanks are in AKA the living room lol. And there's the fact that I still want a Koi, a MG, and a Yellow and have played at the thought of a sorority more than once.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #6 
hrutan

The reassurance is "Don't worry, you're not the only one." Bwaha ha.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #7 
Crossroads

Haha, well that reassurance I can give you. Cause I got multiple tank syndrome AND obsessive betta disorder lol. No one warns you of the dangers of fishkeeping or that bettas are like potato chips. At least you aren't the only one engaged in seeing how far you can go without increasing flood insurance ;P

Last edited by Crossroads; 08-26-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #8 
Crossroads

Betta Videos! 'scuse my silly voice when talking to them

Mako's First Water Change:

Thanatos in a cloudy laterite covered tank.

Mako in laterite clouded water

More Thanatos

Mako following me

Shortly after Natal comes home

Nereus before his fin biting

Mako wiggle-dancing for me:

Natos being anti social

Natal's Tank exploration

Vince's Zoomies aka Flutterbutt Adventures

Natal's Zoomies feat. Nereus

Mako flare party

Agrius builds a bubble nest feat. Nereus
Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #9 
Crossroads

Wednesday, 8/27
Had a power outage late last night that scared the daylights out of me. All fish seem to be fine and heaters, filters and lights are operating normally. However,the power out stressed Nereus and Agrius. Luckily, Nereus left his fins alone.

Boys were fed breakfast this morning. As usual Agrius and Mako ate like horses while my other boys nibbled. Natal and I engaged in chase-the-bloodworm, where I hold a thawed worm with a pair of soft plastic feeding tongs and he chases it around the tank. Vince's pond snail has been happily scooting along the tank, and is the most adorable thing. Vince tried to nibble it once, then gave up. The plants are still growing in nicely and the duckweed is slowly spreading. I can't wait until my tanks are ready for snails, shrimp and/or cory cats. So far the plan is:
The 10g longs
7-8 cory cats(I forget what I put on AQadvisor)
3-4 ghost or cherry shrimp
1-2 snails

The 5 and 5.5s
3-4 shrimp
1 snail

The 3g
Either 2 shrimp or 1 snail
Old 08-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #10 
hrutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads View Post
Vince tried to nibble it once, then gave up.
You're so lucky. When Mystique was introduced to snails, she rammed into them until they fell over and then killed and ate them. It was pretty horrifying.