Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #1101 
BettaLover1313

I'm very sorry for the loss of your fish!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #1102 
TruongLN

I'm sorry for all of the frustration.
I hope you can feel better, don't stress yourself out too much.
Things happen that we can't stop :(
Keep on, keeping on!
TruongLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #1103 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Thanks guys. I'm really not as frustrated about the fish as I am coming dangerously close to losing the opportunity to continue the line. Fish die, stuff happens... Losing an entire line hurts though.

CJ, yea, after producing healthy fish working the line is most important to me. I want to see the genes work and see what I can do with the EE and stuff.

LBF- The sudden deaths are one of the reasons I hate splendens. I think it was you who theorized that fish could probably have heart attacks or something... I think there's got to be something like that since they really shouldn't just drop dead without signs or symptoms. My endlers are kind of meant to be a break from splendens for me, they are pretty much the opposite in behavior, ease of breeding, etc, and if one of them dies it's sad but not frustrating. I could see myself bringing in some different killies and some of the more rare livebearers like limia and such but I'll always have bettas with me, they're close to my heart and I'm kinda in too deep.

Truong and CJ- I'll need to do some thinking but I will most likely be keeping all of these fish and growing them out to adult/breed able size before I sell them, and I will sell them once I get an F2 spawn. I'm really sorry but you guys will get these fish eventually.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #1104 
TruongLN

Do not worry about it at all!
I understand and can absolutely wait :)
TruongLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:36 AM   #1105 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Spawn tank is set up and ready for tomorrow... Gonna try the shock method on the reds and see if I can get any luck, since he previous owner successfully got a spawn that way and she recommended trying it.

Also did my water changes today, I'm exhausted. I'm going to start dosing my tanks with seachem flourish tomorrow, as of yet all of my tanks have been walstad method and now that I have one bare bottomed with hornwort (LOTS of hornwort), moss, and floaters (all kinda tossed in there) I want to give proper ferts a try. Hopefully they give me some healthy, strong plants. I really like how I'm doing it now- all floaters! no rooted. Keeps water quality high, looks clean, and is super easy.

Next plant on my list is water sprite. It's my favorite plant, but all of it on my September shipment died =(. It's also surprisingly hard to find at local fish stores for such an easy plant.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #1106 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

This pair, I swear... -_-

What is this, dropping eggs under the nest and eating them. Cuz I'm pretty sure that's what you've done for the second time in two weeks.

Ugh, I shoulda done livebearers.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 AM   #1107 
Mahsfish

If you every consider switching to breeding other fish. And got lots of space and tanks. The more aggressive rout with cichlids is the way to go. I love em. Or if not angels are real good too.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 AM   #1108 
Mahsfish

Haha. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

But that's sucks Matt. Hopefully the next time. I know it gets frustrating. I failed a couple times breeding. I think I'm staying away from bettas for a while. Gonna stop breeding all together. And just keep one large 100-200 gallon tank due to school and sports with lack of time.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #1109 
Aus

As far as rants go, that was pretty epic, lol, and beyond understandable, really. My condolences, I know how it is to feel just gutted..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post

This is the kinda thing that makes me think about dropping everything and starting fresh with wild type livebearers and killifish. They're all practically identical and they probably wouldn't die at the drop of a hat.
Wish I had something more cheerful to add. But that is -exactly- what happened with the five strohi I got from LBF a while back. I checked them last thing at night (we'd just moved house that day) and they were happy as clams - went back first thing in the morning and all were stone dead. But the shrimps in the tub were all a-ok. I was just beyond devastated.. Still haven't worked out what I did wrong. :( It really sucked the joy out of fishkeeping, for a while there. But - time heals all, as it were, and I am sure it will for you, too.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #1110 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The only cichlids I've ever liked are apistogrammas and rams, and even then I still like lots of other fish way more. Of course I've never had any interest in the Africans that would love my water. If I was to move to different fish it would be wild type livebearers, wild bettas, and some other rare micro fish with emphasis on endangered, critical, and extinct in wild species. I love bettas but there's so much I want to do. I'm lucky to have the time to pretty much do what I want though- really, I'm just getting started.

Aus, that's awful. Losing a whole group of fish overnight would be unimaginably painful. You probably didn't do anything wrong, to be honest. Stuff like that is rarely the fishkeepers fault.

I don't feel like doing anything today.