Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #1141 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I was just proven wrong by my guppies. I just found d five of them finally starting to form their gonopodium or at least the elongated part of it. Males will have more pointed anal fins than females but the elongated part of the gonopodium doesn't form ipuntil just after a month and a half it seems! Now that I know what I'm looking for it should be easier. But either way, males are still more colorful so that helps too.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #1142 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I got a piece of goldvine, a sponge filter, and ordered an airpump for the channoides tank today. I got the tank set up too-
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  41.0 KB
I love the wood, it fits perfectly and fills the space quite nicely. I'm weighing it down with a container of gravel right now, so that ugly thing isn't permanent. I swear it looks a lot better without the glare from the light and the gravel bin thing. I still need to add the sponge filter, ial, and plants (watersprite, when I get it, and some assorted floaters).

So excited~

Oh and by the way the tank on the left is low because I'm in he middle of water changes.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 01-19-2014 at 08:02 PM.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #1143 
TruongLN

It looks awesome, Matt!! Loving the piece of wood.
TruongLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #1144 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Thanks Truong! I love it too, It was a good find. I think it looks better in real life.

I'm so excited for the channoides. I don't know why, but I am. Friday cannot come soon enough, unless my wood isn't sunken by then :/. I'm working on getting the tank's cycle to start rolling, I added stability today and have the sponge filter (not in pic) going at full blast. Water's holding steady at 74 (wilds like it a bit cooler). I just need to toss in the plants, add the clingwrap, change the water (though I'll do that before adding everything else),a nd add the ial, then I should be all set.

Oh and I actually got some nice- like, NOT iPad- pics of the fish. I'll try to get them up for tomorrow, they're mainly for my site.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #1145 
TruongLN

Why wouldn't you be excited!? It's a big thing!
You have a site?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #1146 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm working on a weebly site. It's been a work in progress for a few months now, I really just work on it when I find the time haha. I'm still deciding where I want to go with it in quite a few ways, so far it has a store, a blog, a home page (obviously), and then some betta information and info on other fish I keep, among other things.

Oh and a few days ago I learnt from Hallyx that Seachem Prime does not convert ammonia to ammonium, like everyone seems to think and say, it, to quote Hallyx (hope she/he(?) doesn't mind, they explain it better than I ever could) "locks up the ammonia in a molecule Seachem calls Prime/ammonia complex (aminomethanesulfinate). This molecule decays over the next 24 to 48 hours releasing the ammonia back into the water". I found that neat, it's "common knowledge" that prime makes ammonia the less toxic ammonium, but really that's just a myth that started somewhere and was shared by people including myself. Practically, though, I don't think it makes a difference- the plants and bacteria use the ammonia from the molecule and it isn't harmful to the fish either way.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #1147 
summersea

Huh who would have thought that about Prime! I have heard the "myth" so many times. It is amazing how word spreads like wild fire even if it isn't true But as you said, as long as it makes the water safe for my fish I am happy with it! Thanks for sharing that tidbit if info!
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #1148 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yea, that was my thought. Of course, prime shouldn't be what you rely on to keep ammonia safe, but it can be a useful tool.

Oh, and, uh, I've said over and over that I would pull out the big camera. I did. All except last bred and raised by myself.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #1149 
summersea

Gorgeous fish! I love the EE! If they weren't so expensive I would definitely get one!
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #1150 
TruongLN

Wow Matt they're absolutely beautiful. You did an amazing job :)
I hope you're planning on still breeding splendens, because you did great.