Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #381 
logisticsguy

One thing I try not do to Matt is *gut stuff* the fry. Doing that can cause damage or kill a fish. It also can slow the fish ability to process food.

You can feed till the tummy is a lil round and that is plenty.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #382 
royal

Just keep being positive, and it'll all work out!
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #383 
logisticsguy

I am just sick. My Giant girl seemed fine this morning and when I went to feed her just now... she is dead. Searching for answers. It seems that the period after a spawn attempt can be lethal if you are one of my breeders. Maybe now im just realizing the stress breeding puts on a fish. 2 sudden deaths in one week has me very concerned and confused. I don't even get a chance to try meds or anything. Just totally demoralized right now.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #384 
LittleBettaFish

See that is why I got out of splendens. I had too many sudden and unexpected deaths that I could not find any possible reasons for. Too much heartbreak for me to handle.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #385 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That's awful, CJ. It was probably just stress from a couple factors, (adjusting to your water and breeding), and there was nothing yo could have done. What symptoms was she showing when you found her body?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 AM   #386 
logisticsguy

There was no bloating or pine coning on the body. Her head was very grey. Now Im paranoid and going over every fish and taking notes. If you don't look 100% your off to the doctor lil fish. I am just not used to sudden death with these fish and trying to figure out why and turn into a learning experience from it if I can.

Im finding that the Giant boy has terrible eyesight which now explains the mess at spawn time and why food has to be right in front of him or he misses it. Always a disaster in his tank and now I know why. Dude needs glasses real bad.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #387 
logisticsguy

After doing more research on Giant betta I may have under estimated the space they require for healthy living. It is recommended that they have a 30 inch aquarium. My Giant boy is in a 10g that isn't nearly large enough it appears. The Giant girl who died was in a 3g hospital tank that I thought was ok but may have been way too small. It is also recommended that they be on pristine water source like RO and have very frequent water changes. With my less than perfect water here and small tanks I set myself up for failure with my Giant pair. Ugg I gotta get myself an RO if I want to continue in this hobby without going nuts. At least now I have an idea where I went wrong.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #388 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

30" is huge! I've always seen 10g quoted as the appropriate size for them but I have not researched them in depth. Good luck.

I know it's going to rain when my boys start nesting, and sure enough it is pouring right now.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #389 
Mahsfish

Still feeling bad for us CJ. At least you know what could have cause it now. And for an update on my cello boy Peanut, he is starting to marble and has a brown grizzlies coming on his body

And Matt any update on the fry? Pics? How are they doing?
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #390 
Mahsfish

Oh yeah and if y'all calgarians didn't hear, the was a pressure cooker, or a mini bomb planted at the Brentwood LRT station. LRT go shutdown to day and tons of traffic. Thank fully no body got hurt.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote