Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #401 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Yeah this guy is from her rehoming journal. The original sellers pics though.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #402 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ah yes I see you reserved him... Good choice! He is beautiful. Catw0man says he refuses to eat pellets though.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #403 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Okay never mind, really looking for breeding quality fish, this guy is with out a doubt beautiful but colour wise he is not a good breeder.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #404 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Why not? I think his color is really good...
Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #405 
Mahsfish

Matt his colours are just a mish mash. No real definition. And a lot of irids. Also looks like it has a cellophane marble base and breeding marbles is too unpredictable if you are looking to produce show quality
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #406 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well I overall had a good day today but I think my ee has a tumor... Right above his eye. It is growing slow and it could be in a worse place, but still... Tumors suck. You get to watch them slowly kill a fish, and they are becoming more common, sadly. I have noticed that they are especially prevalent in ee, I wonder why. Probably some genetic fault that goes along with the gene for ee.

Mah, his colors are fine... The iridescence is the only fault. You can't assume a fish is marble unless it is showing telltale marbling (which this fish is not), and even so, marbles can be shown in the "multi" class.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #407 
logisticsguy

Matt is correct. It may well be marbles could be more difficult to work with because of its random nature but each spawn should produce solids butterflys ect that can be shown in main class as well. If you look at aquabid many breeders are using marbles to enhance the lines look. If a breeder breeds into marbles and the only ever want solids in the spawn it would be a bad idea because it would be hard to impossible to breed marbles completely out of a line and would keep popping up in spawns to a lesser extent each generation. Besides show breeding is only one part of breeding these fish. Its good to keep the current ibc standard in mind whenever breeding but personal goals can be different for everyone. Playing with a wide genetic pool can be fun and narrow pool line breeding can produce results as well.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #408 
Mahsfish

I totally agree with the both of you. But some breeders just prefer not getting into marbles I guess. Bing in Canada and they're are rarely any shows I find it find to breed marbles as I won't be entering any shows anytime soon. Still good to hold ibc standards though
Old 06-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #409 
Mahsfish

Speaking of marbling did I mention at all that Peanut is marbling?

I think I did, just bad memory. but he does have browny yellow grizzle coming in. sadly his fins haven't grown much because hes still in a jar and I havent made room in a bigger tank for him. Also I only do water changes 1-2 times per week so that doesn't help. Though maybe there was some hmpk earlier in the ancestors and hes got hmpk pheno type but doubt this is the case.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #410 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

How big is the jar? How warm is it/ how do you heat it?

Last edited by MattsBettas; 06-02-2013 at 04:26 PM.