Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #601 
Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshine View Post
I didn't like riverfront at all. It was really dirty and it smelt pretty gross when I went.. There was also only one employee that I saw and he didn't ask if we needed anything o.0 Most people at Big Als are really nice and the place is really clean. There is Pisces pet emporium as well, it is huge and pretty nice although somethings are over priced.
Thanks!

I loved Pisces, but didn't really like their betta selection. Lots of overpriced elephant ears I simply didn't feed attractive.
Ok, I'll still check out Riverfront now that I have 2 opinions, and I'll tell you how it goes!

How was Big Al's selection?
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #602 
Senshine

They have some beautiful bettas. If you go on the first few days they get their new shipments and get first pick, you'll find the best ones! They are reasonably priced (elephant ears being closer to $20 though) but it seems like you can ask if they'll give you a better price as it's what I did with a female I got from them.
I hope your experience at riverfront is better than mine was haha.
Senshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #603 
Mar

Definitely going to Big Al's then! :) Sounds great!
And I hope Riverfront is nicer than what you described, too.
So you're a Calgarian as well? :)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #604 
Senshine

I hope you like it as much as I do! I've gotten 7 bettas from them I believe, and only one from pisces hahah.
Yep! And the NE isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It isn't the best but it's not like full of serious gangs or anything :P IMO, the worst area is forestlawn..
Old 06-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #605 
Mar

Forest lawn lmao, I hear stories about that place! But never been ;s /not a true Calgarian :(

Yeah, I don't really think there's any real gang violence and stuff in Calgary, and barely anything compared to the States.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #606 
Senshine

Me tooooo, and I see things.. I go there kinda regularly for breakfast at phils and I used to go to J&J reptiles for hornworms haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I had to yank a girl out of the sorority yesterday, she was always on the bottom of the hierarchy but she ended up beat up and stressed and I felt like if I didn't get her out, something worse was going to end up happening. She got some sort of worms for the second time, so I jarred her with aq salt and paraguard which took care of the worms overnight. I went to do a water change today, and I dropped her in the sink. But she's starting to recover which is good I guess.
I hate the horrible feeling that you get when something like that happens
I was putting my frogs into their bin, but I had to get them in the net first, so I took them over to the sink and put the net under the container they were in and the first one started going down closer to the net and as soon as it got to the edge it kinda leaped and went right over the net right into the sink.. I got it out but I felt so bad.. Then the second one did the exact same thing -.- except it actually fell into the drain It has a grate thing over it so it didn't go down the pipe, but it was hard to get the little thing out and I was so scared I hurt her. They are both doing good now though!
Old 06-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #607 
Mar

Uuuugh my African dwarf frogs jumped out of my hands during a water change and leaped behind a desk with all my tanks on it. Had to move everything and spilled everywhere. Luckily they're both fine and weren't severely damaged.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #608 
Mahsfish

I hate Pisces. It's so overpriced its actually stupid. I bought my knobs for $7 at riverfront I love the store. And sold them for $2-10. But then per smart sells them for $11 which isn't bad but then Pisces has them at $20.

I personally think riverfront has the best overall prices. Big Als is okay I've never bought fish from them. Big Als has some decent stock.

Riverfront has the best beta selection IMO and they aren't that great tho. I was just there buying frozen daphnia for my bettas. They also have the best cichlids stock and prices IMO. But flowerhorns they will rip you off on unless you know what you're looking for. Fry are $15 which is decent for what I saw but they had 2 poor quality males with nice head but it got injured for $350 each. Still best store I believe. Not setup like big Als or Pisces its like someone's fish room basement type thing. My uncle know the owner.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #609 
Mar

Only thing I bought at pisces was a lid cause no one else sold them

But thanks brayden :) ill go to big als and riverfront then
Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #610 
logisticsguy

Well Riverfront is nothing fancy for sure. But they do often have good betta and usually well cared for. Prices are pretty good as well. Last year I had what can be best described as a blowout at Big Als. It was awful at the time, dead fish, dirty water quite disgusting. Thankfully new staff came in and it got much better. Pisces does carry some products that others stores don't like nls grow. The Petland near my house (Westhills) was also horrible until a new betta keeper came in last month. A change of staff can make a big difference. The staff is more important than the name on the door. From my experience you can make a big change as a customer by complaining loudly if things at the store are way off. Keep in mind the job as fish keeper in a store is busy and often thankless. Give them encouragement if they are doing well. It is impossible to know everything about every kind of fish, many good keepers will listen and be open to information from customers that have specific knowledge about betta. Whenever possible I like to help them with problems and share information that they may not know. Lets help get the ones selling baby betta up to speed on how to look after them so not so many die soon after leaving the store.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote