Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #661 
Mahsfish

The only ones I'd might bring back are the imbellis, or the "strawberry betta" or"red cherry betta" other than regular bettas. I like imbellis because I know I can keep them the same as my splendins. I know nothing on wilds plus the macrostomas are too much for be to risk brining back.

Matt tip would be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations on what type I should bring back too. Thought anyone
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #662 
LittleBettaFish

Betta channoides and albimarginata (strawberry/red cherry) are very easy species to care for. I always recommend them for people new to wild bettas. They are not particularly fussy about water conditions (though they do prefer the softer side of neutral) and are quite easy to sex so your chances of picking a male/female pair from a LFS tank are quite high.

You could easily keep a pair of either species in a 5-10 gallon tank. They are extremely peaceful and really the only thing you have to watch is predation by the parents on their fry.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #663 
Mahsfish

The water in Calgary is on the hard side. Will I be okay if I just add black water extract or IAL tannins?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #664 
Mahsfish

What would you recommend it's $15 each for channoides or $32 for an indexed pair of albimarginata
Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #665 
Mahsfish

What is the difference between the two? They look the same to me on google
Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #666 
LittleBettaFish

If they are captive bred they should be okay in water that is harder. But they may not spawn.

Albis and channoides are basically identical in behaviour and appearance so it really comes down to which one you prefer.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #667 
Mahsfish

Does anybody want some imbellis? I will probably get some for my self. But only like 3-4. But it is cheaper of I get 6. Of not that is fine. I will probably get 6 for $18 anyways
Old 07-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #668 
Mahsfish

Sorry. Changed my mind. I will just be getting 2 imbellis. A male and a female for transportation and keeping purposes aslant as it is legal.

Now is the hard part. Keeping them alive. I won't have a heater or anything and my mom likes the room cool in the hotel and the car will around the same. Can I keep them in 0.5-1g jars with a little plant and then I will buy some food at the store? What else? I really need help
Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #669 
Mahsfish

I can decide now. Channoides or imbellis. I'd like channoides but the cost more and idk if they will be as hardy or easy to bring back. Please help
Old 07-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #670 
logisticsguy

Do you have a cooler that you could put the jars in. You could add a heat pack to the cooler maybe. I would choose channoides myself.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote