Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #791 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Oh man, it's been almost a week! O.o

My vt with mouth rot is still alive and kickin'. Ial and kanaplex are helping but I bumped the Epsom salts up to 3tsp/g yesterday because her bloat won't go down. Her mouth looks a bit better. She's definitely to cured yet but she is slowly improving.

Haven't broke down the 20g yet or talked to my brother about it. It would leave me with a lone BN pleco that I have no idea what to do with. I would probably qt it with antibiotics and paraguard to (hopefully) kill whatever is in there but then I would have to add it back in there because the 20g is the only tank I have running that's big enough for it. Or I could just give it to a petstore. We'll see.

I should be getting some plants from darkangel on here in a couple of weeks too! I'm getting them for a great price and with live plants, more is always (ok, maybe not if they leave the fish no swimming space. But you get the point.) better.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 08-07-2013 at 10:49 AM.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #792 
Mahsfish

I'd love to take the BP if we were closer. Too bad. Sounds like there hope at the end of the tunnel. Glad things are looking better
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #793 
Mahsfish

BN*
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #794 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yea. I'll probably just qt for a month+ and throw a few different meds at him to kill whatever is in there (will treat for bacterial and parasitical causes).
Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #795 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

In the process of breaking down and sterilizing the 20g. I've already scraped, scrubbed, and, in the case of the gravel, boiled everything ALONG with a 99% isopropyl alcohol spray/soak... And I still have to bleach everything and boil the gravel again. I'm yet to start on the heater, filter, and decorations lol.

If this does not kill everything, I give up.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #796 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Since its been four months since I started the journal, I figure it would be good to repost and edit my original post on this thread just to let you all know where I'm at now.

Quote:
So, be been meaning to start a journal. I really should stop commenting so much on some other members journals lol. I'll try to get lots of pics but technology is a pain in the butt and won't let that happen at the moment, which is very frustrating.

It sounds like I have a lot of pets, but when you think about the fact that everything but the male bettas and the crayfish (and my lizard obviously lol) can be kept together, its not THAT bad. So, I have:
-six male bettas Seven male bettas
-six female bettas Five female bettas
-one self cloning crayfish (more to come... Obviously)
-two african dwarf frogs One african dwarf frog
-three male guppies zero male guppies
-one endler No endlers
-two female guppies No female guppies
-four shrimp No shrimp
-one pleco
-one swordtail No swordtail
-way to many ramshorn snails.
-and one leopard gecko Two leopard geckos... But just 'till the end of August (then I'll only have my girl)

And that doesn't include fry. I swear it isn't as bad as it sounds. Since this is a betta forum, I'll tell you all a bit more about my bettas. I'm horrible with names, so not all of them have names. My five males, who all live in divided tanks, are:

- Spike, a beautiful halfmoon purchased from logisticsguy. He will be bred in the future, but right now he is just a spoilt little boy who (and I'm kind of ashamed to admit this) I had to put on a diet. logisticsguy keeps his fish well fed and me making sure he is full sure doesn't help. He lives in a divided, heated, and filtered five gallon tank with:
-Deceased My unnamed black traditional plakat. I bought this guy as a female from petland for a grand total of three dollars. He's one of my favorites. He will also be bred in the future, to Freckles.
-DeceasedJackson, a white and blue super delta. He lives in a divided ten gallon with Xanthus and Ares. I got all three of them from Sena Hansler when she had to rehome. Jackson got on to Xanthus's side somehow two days after I got him, and I was at school at the time and I did not know how long he had been in there but I took him out, put him back on his side, and even though at the time he was bleeding and his fins were tattered, with clean, warm water and ial, he is making a great recovery.
- DeceasedXanthus, a yellow butterfly halfmoon also from Sena Hansler. This guy has a lot of personality. He did not get damaged nearly as much as Jackson in their fight.
-Ares, a dragonscale with red fins (armadillo), who has already produced over 200 fry. He is currently in the spawn tank with Jess, hopefully I will get a nice spawn.
-My unnamed ee. I bought this guy as a female from petland (a new employee thought all bettas were the same and gave me this $25 fish as an exchange for my $6 crowntail who passed shortly after I purchased him). I know better then to trust what the petstore says, so I looked at him and he looked pretty female to me. Lets just say that he is an awful sorority member. He will soon go in the divided ten gallon (Ares, Jackson, Xanthus).
-Unnamed red/white marble "halfmoon"- Rescued this guy almost two months ago from petsmart. He had an advanced case of fin rot which he has successfully recovered from.
-Unnamed blue/white marble double tail- Got this guy all the way in Southern California at a petco and got my grandparents to drive him home. He used to bite his fins but that habit was easily stopped (knock on wood). I plan on breeding this boy to my blue grizzle/marble halfmoon plakat later this month.
-Unnamed blue pineapple/yellow halfmoon plakat- Also from petco. This boy has one of the coolest colours I have ever seen, and I will hopefully breed him later this month to my other blue pineapple/yellow halfmoon plakat elephant ear.
Unnamed orange dalmation halfmoon plakat- Also from petco. This boy is quite large but a big scarcely cat. He has quite good form and I would like to breed him in the future.

And the girls:

DeceasedLilith- The fourth fish I got from Sena, a Cambodian crowntail. She is the alpha.
Freckles- The girl I chose from logisticsguy (CJ). She's a nice marble. She will be bred with my black plakat sometime. Spikes sister.
DeceasedJess- A dragonscale geno halfmoon with nice, yellow fins. I got her at petland, somehow. She is currently in the spawn tank with Ares.
DeceasedUnnamed ct girl- I really love this girl. She has a unique blue-orange color, but she is really beat up and currently in treatment for a unidentifiable external parasite.
DeceasedUnnamed white pla kat girl- Another petland find. A real sweetheart in the sorority.
Unnamed red veiltail girl- My oldest fish at the time. Lots of personality. I can't go near the water in the sorority without getting bit lol. Currently battling (and winning!) mouth rot and bloat.
-Unnamed blue grizzle/marble halfmoon plakat- Got this girl from catw0man in June. A healthy, big, energetic girl who is full of personality. Looking forward to breeding her to my unnamed blue marble doubletail later this month.
-Unnamed blue pineapple/yellow halfmoon plakat elephant ear- Also from catw0man. Breeding this girl to my blue pineapple/yellow halfmoon plakat later this month as well.
-Unnamed super black halfmoon plakat- Also from catw0man. This fish is the darkest black I've ever seen, and I would love to breed her bit I probably will never get to because I would need a super black hmpk male for that.
So yea. My self cloning crayfish is berried (Unsuccessful), my lizard is old and happy, etc. I will post updates on the spawn and make a real spawn log if its successful. Thanks for reading!
After over two hours I'm almost finished with the twenty. Lol.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 08-09-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #797 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I finished sterilizing (sanitization and sterilization are two different things, incase you were wondering) the 20, and it's still drying out. My gosh gravel takes a long time. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and make it a full npt. I've been wanting to do it for a while and this is the perfect time- It's empty and I have plants on their way from one member and if all goes to plan I'll be picking up some duckweed and hornwort from CJ in a week... I would just need to order a few things and I would be all ready to go.

My girl is not doing too well. Her mouth hasn't gotten worse but hasn't improved a ton, her bloating hasn't gone down, and she has what I think is columnaris destroying her anal fin as I wright this (this morning it was a little piece of fuzz. Now, it's a hole). I have no choice but to extend her kanaplex course (I've already gone over the ten days... But she'll die without it). Lucky me she's a fighter.

And I got a zebra nerite for the chi 'cuz there's algae. Boy do they do a great job.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #798 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Just put down the pleco. It was fine this morning, then I found it rolling around in qt with signs of dropsy. I'm gonna guess that it had what all the others had but whatever it was took longer to manifest in the pleco.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #799 
Saphira101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Just put down the pleco. It was fine this morning, then I found it rolling around in qt with signs of dropsy. I'm gonna guess that it had what all the others had but whatever it was took longer to manifest in the pleco.
That really sucks Matt. So sorry. :(
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #800 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yea. I don't mind as much as if it was a betta, but it still sucks. At least I don't have to find a home for it or risk reintroducing disease.