Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #931 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I like watching the pseudomugils swim. Their pectorals look so funny.

I've decided that I'm not going to carry out my sorority. Instead I'm going to divide the tank as soon as it is safe for fish... I only have four girls now, and this will just be more manageable and there are girls I eventually want to breed and I don't really want to risk them in a sorority situation with only four girls. I'll probably make it a full on sorority once my fry grow in and I could throw in six or so more fish, but for now I'm just going to divide it.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #932 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The cello girl from CJ died last night. I'm just about ready to lose my mind. That's three nice fish in a week and I don't know what's going on :(.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #933 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I think the cups are poisoning them... No plastic smell or anything, but it's only my girls that are dying and this only started after they were cupped. Idk what to do... The tank's not ready for them and I have no where else for them to go. I'm so stressed.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #934 
LittleBettaFish

Looking at the pictures from the previous page, I think pseudomugil gertrudae are perfect for a 10 gallon tank. I had a group and they are a stunning species and become quite friendly and bold once they settle in.

Licorice gourami are beautiful but excruciatingly shy. I mean I keep wild betta species that are shy but these guys beat even them. Most of the time I would find myself staring at an empty tank.

Threadfin rainbows are also nice, particularly when they are displaying.

Another species I highly recommend are microdevario kubotai. They are absolutely stunning and extremely personable for schooling fish.

Sorry to hear about your females. Can you purchase some food safe tupperware containers? I use these $2 plastic containers similar to what our Chinese take-out comes in to hold fish sometimes and they have never caused any problems.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #935 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ooh those microdevario kubotai are pretty nice. The Celestial pearl danios and emrald rasboras are more suited to my water though, and I love them.

The containers I'm using are food safe but I could get different ones...
Old 09-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #936 
LittleBettaFish

CPDs are pretty boring. I had some and they just used to hide in my floating plants and only come out to eat. Apparently they are known for being quite elusive.

The Danio erythromicron are gorgeous. I was looking at them a while back but they require harder water and so I didn't get any.

Seems odd food safe containers would cause harm. I am just throwing this out there but could it be something like BPA in the plastic causing problems? Apparently it is bad to heat plastic containers that container BPA above a certain temperature as I think it leeches out or something.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #937 
logisticsguy

Sorry to hear about the cello girl Matt. Im not sure what is up either. Wish I had some answers to help you. Don't get too down things will get better.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #938 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

BPA is an estrogen mimicker and that's why it messes with us... It could probably do some damage in fish over time but since its more of a hormone then a toxin I doubt it could do anything in two weeks. That's not to say some other compound could've been released though... I'm not going to find out so whatever, I guess.

I ended up putting them in room temp 2l pop bottles because its better then being poisoned to death. I don't know.

I'm sorry CJ. I'm feeling pretty guilty after having her for a month, ya know? Too bad cuz she was beautiful and was quiter interesting.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #939 
logisticsguy

Don't feel guilty because stuff happens in this hobby. good idea with the 2l bottles, Ive kept a fish in one of those for quite a while. I still have the cello girls identical twin here so if you ever want her I would gladly trade for one of your fry lol.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #940 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, I'm sorry, Matt.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote