Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #61 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Don't declaw! Are you fully informed? They have their bones broken and removed to remove the nail. They can't walk for weeks and have their paws taped up to keep them from getting the wound dirty. Get these instead, they are SO much nicer and cuter like painted nails but also cheaper. Welcome to SoftClaws for Cats
I worked at a vet's office, these are EXTREMELY uncomfortable for cats, they can't retract their claws with these on, which makes walking permanently uncomfortable.
Not to mention cats like eating these.
Cheap marketing scheme that pulls at the owner's heartstrings and in the end harms the animal.

I would see if you can declaw him with laser surgery, it's a lot prettier than the traditional way (since I've assisted with both methods). It will probably cost a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #62 
Elsewhere

I apologize. I overreacted earlier. We had a long conversation the night that she said I could get Norman about declawing, and both decided that with the right vet it is the best option. My reasons for declawing:

1. Yes, furniture scratching. I don't care at all, but you need to understand that it isn't my furniture and that my mother doesn't care for the animals in the house- I do.
2. Injuring other animals is an issue for me, as my cat is declawed and my dogs wouldn't hurt a baby animal like a kitten. I don't want them getting hurt.
3. He will only be indoors, so it's not like he'll go outside and get himself killed.

I have painstakingly chosen the vet I am taking him to. I have spoken with tens of people who say she is the best vet within range for hours. I have personally spoken with her over the phone about her techniques and exactly what will happen in the operating room. I looked at your link, Artemis, and I believe that she does the second option, but may be introducing lazer in her practice.

I hate how much controversy this is causing for you people, but I am not rushing into this. I am not a new owner with a cat and this is not my first rodeo. I promise you all that he will be fine and if something just happens to go wrong, it will be dealt with in the best way possible.

Can we please stop this? It is really getting to me in case you haven't noticed in my break down above.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #63 
Artemis

I would personally go with lazer or find a vet who can. I have seen cats with nail caps and if they are put on at a young age they don't have problems. If you get them on when the cats are about 2 months they are usually fine IMO/IME.

Lazer is best as it keeps the nerves from feeling pain until the thing that would cause the pain is gone. I'd ask around for a vet who could do it that way.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #64 
Elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Why not the soft claws? The fact is that it is banned in UK, West Hollywood, and some Asian countries.

A study of 163 cats that underwent onychectomy, published in the Jul/Aug 1994 Journal of Veterinary Surgery, showed that 50% suffered from immediate postoperative complications, such as pain, hemorrhage, and lameness; and long-term complications including prolonged lameness, were found in nearly 20% of the 121 cats who were followed up in the study.
In a study published in the January 2001 JAVMA, 33% of 39 cats that underwent onychectomy developed at least one behavior change immediately after surgery, with the most common problems being litter box problems and biting.

The cat's have problems using the litter box and often need very very fine sand so as not to hurt their paws. They bite because they know that they are not equipped for defense with their weapon of choice so use their next weapon which is even more likely for infection they scratches. It's not good and it is like removing your first knuckle.
Just saying, that study was in 1994. Twenty years ago. I am quite sure these things have become much safer.

And I looked constantly for lazer- I live in a tiny rural community. There is not much going on here and I extremely lucky to find the woman I did. She may not do lazer, but I trust her entirely.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #65 
Artemis

I reread your post and I'm just wondering why you think he would hurt the animals
Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #66 
Elsewhere

When I first got August and introduced him to my dog, he scratched her clean across her face and almost bit one of her moles off at another time. Now they somewhat get along, but the whole time he had his claws she would innocently sniff him and he would just spazz... Now he spazzes but can't hurt either of my dogs. Norman seems to be quite a bit like August when we first got him, and I just worry about their safety.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #67 
Artemis

If you introduce him right it won't be a problem. Let them meet through a baby gate or screen. Jackson Galaxy has a lot of good info and videos on his Youtube channel. Here's his take on declawing:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_7oTlocGSw and his channel with tips for everyone:https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCatD.../videos?view=0
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #68 
Elsewhere

They met through a baby gate for a couple of days. He then went out to greet her. The same thing will happen to Norman, but since August can jump baby gates, they'll meet with August on a halter and leash.

I am saying this one last time, and it will be the last time. You need to stop trying to talk me out of this, which is very stupid of you, as I am probably twice as stubborn as you and your "convincing" will not change my mind. This is not a place for you to try and force me not to make my own decisions on an animal that I have a great love for and don't even OWN yet. I repeat: STOP THIS.

I made this thread to show pictures of a cute kitten, not to be harassed.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #69 
Artemis

I wasn't trying to talk you out of it that time honest. I haven't seen the video I saw he had a declaw video and decided to link it that's it. I'm voicing my opionion and that is that you are not sounding like the cat would have a happy life. It can't fully stretch, is likely to be miserable after the surgery and you aren't taking the proper steps to help even if you did do the surgery and are stubborn to any other option. Any other option such as caps or trimming the claws, option that are nicer. However they are also options that require less money and less risk. But the problem that I feel like you have with them is work. They require effort on your part and you don't like that
Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #70 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You've been warned multiple times. Please stop on this topic immediately..
Thank you..

Elsewhere; if you want this thread cleaned out of argument just let me know..
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote