Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #1 
Lostiethatlikesherbetta

Exclamation Beginning of ick, please help!

So my sisters fish, Aqua, has been acting lethargic. He is sitting at the bottom of the tank, not eating, and staying beside his spikes fake plant. Today he has white spots which are very obviously ick. I have used bettafix before on him for finrot and it worked but I was wondering if it works for ick. He lives in a 1.5 gallon with no filter or heater. I know it's bad but it is temporary housing and I am making the change currently for my betta, Phoenix, and soon I will make the change for Aqua. Anybody know anything I can do to help him? Is it fatal? I really can't loose another fish after Buford. I will try to post a picture soon but currently I am not home.
Lostiethatlikesherbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #2 
Twixies

This is from DarkMoon17:

Ick
•Symptoms: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. Lethargic, No appetite, Clamped Fins, Might dart and scratching against decor
•Treatment: You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water.
•Alternative Treatment: Personally, I have not found Ick medications very effective. I prefer to use PP to treat all external parasites. In the past, I have used 3 or 4 different ick medications unsuccessfully, and every time I resort to PP which works like a charm. Do lots of research before using PP as it is a more dangerous chemical than most.
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote