Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #1 
gandelf

Wild Betta territory approximate size?

First I would like to say hello. I have lurked for a few days and have decided to join. My two year old red Betta (Red Foremen) passed 2 months ago. I'm not sure why he died? Two weeks ago, I purchased a red and metallic blue Betta (Judas). Their home is a 10 gallon, which is filtered, heated and natural scaped. This week, Judas will be moving into a new 20 gallon long. So, my question is, would anyone know what a Betta's natural territory approximate size be?
gandelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #2 
SamJustice

The domestic males are too aggressive to house together.

The wild bettas have an approximate territory of 3ft.sq. however, I do believe.

But domestic males will hunt each other down, no matter the tank size.

However, you could get a divider. =3
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #3 
fish keeper 2013

In nature when males fight the opponent can flee. In an aquarium however there is nowhere to go and they get hunted down.

I have heard of multiple male bettas in a ~55 gallon aquarium. They were however from the same fry. It must also help to heavily plant the aquarium so the bettas can't see each other even if they are just inches away from each other.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #4 
SamJustice

I girl at my local Jack's Pets and Aquarium kept 4 males in a 55 gallon, none related, all were the last betta on the shelf and she felt sorry for them. All went well for months. She came home from work one day to 4 torn fish bodies. Gruesome. But fact of life. Even in an established sorority, it can turn into heck in a handbasket randomly. That's why you've to keep an eye on them and check them constantly.
Same thing can happen in community tanks too. Just because all is goin well, doesn't mean it always will.
Also, keep in mind Murphy's Law. xD
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Wild bettas are also vastly different in aggression levels than domesticated bettas.

However based on your OP, are you asking how much territory a wild betta has because of the size of the tank your male is going into (the 20 gallon) or because you were intending on housing them together?

When you say 'their' home I take that this is a divided tank?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #6 
gandelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJustice View Post
The domestic males are too aggressive to house together.

The wild bettas have an approximate territory of 3ft.sq. however, I do believe.

But domestic males will hunt each other down, no matter the tank size.

However, you could get a divider. =3
I would like to thank you for ACTUALLY answering the question asked. 3 sq.ft seems plausible for a wild Betta's size. Where did you source that? The reason I ask is I would like to better understand the Betta, NOT develop a group tank. I'm thinking a tank size close to a Betta's natural territory size would be conducive to a less stress and content fish, versus living in a glass hell.

No, the new tank will NOT be divided because my first Betta is DEAD.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

You do have to also keep in mind the physical differences between wild and domesticated splendens.

A PK or HMPK male is going to find it much easier and less physically taxing to move around a tank of that size than a HM male with quite excessive finnage would. I find VT bettas seem to fall somewhere in between the two extremes.

So while a smaller tank might seem cruel, you have to keep in mind that some forms of betta are so far removed from their wild ancestors that it would be unfair on the fish to force them to live like that.

I do also wonder where the 3ft square measurement came from. I think I have seen a couple of other people mention it on this forum.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #8 
gandelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
You do have to also keep in mind the physical differences between wild and domesticated splendens.

A PK or HMPK male is going to find it much easier and less physically taxing to move around a tank of that size than a HM male with quite excessive finnage would. I find VT bettas seem to fall somewhere in between the two extremes.

So while a smaller tank might seem cruel, you have to keep in mind that some forms of betta are so far removed from their wild ancestors that it would be unfair on the fish to force them to live like that.

I do also wonder where the 3ft square measurement came from. I think I have seen a couple of other people mention it on this forum.
I agree, my wife and I live in a modest cabin in a woods and had/have many pets over the years. We have always went for the 'natural or rescued" version, not Pairs Hilton looking pets. Judas is a healthy Betta with modest finnage; he is carnival colored thou. Our two grand girls (3 & 5) are into rainbow unicorns. So, getting back into a modest tank was to have some fun with and teach the them about nature, environments and etc... Thanks for your time to respond.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #9 
SamJustice

Yeah, when putting bettas into tanks, you'd have to take into account their finnage. Neither of my boys would do so good with that much space. Too much fin. xD
Uhm. I forget exactly where I seen it. I'll do so looking for it.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #10 
SamJustice

Huh, I can't find it now either. Must be hiding from me somewhere. I'll have plenty of time in class tonight to look it up. xD