Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #1 
Demysta

Saddest experience at a pet store turns into a desperate rescue!

I was just at a Petcetera in my city to do some shopping for my sorority girls and my vicious tail biter, when I wandered into the live fish section and saw one of the saddest things I've ever seen in this store... almost every betta they had was dying, saw a couple dead ones, and none of them could swim properly! I looked over at the other species of fish they had, and each tank had at least one diseased fish or a few dead ones being eaten.

Thats when I spotted HIM... I've always wanted a pink/purple betta and I saw one in, of course, deplorable conditions, but he looked the most savable out of all of them. I talked to some other customers who were considering bettas and instructed them on proper care and showed them the most "healthiest" of the bunch at the store, and I was actually REALLY happy when I saw two couples walk away with some males and some 2.5 galllon critter keepers. So I felt happy in that regard. I got the decorations I wanted and decided I couldn't leave behind that gorgeous little pink guy, so I took him to the register and informed the employee that there were dead fish everywhere and every betta looked like it was on its last leg. She looked at me really sadly and said that the employee in-charge of cleaning and managing the fish section hadn't shown up to work for a week and that normal employees like her "weren't allowed to clean them". That made me so upset and angry! I couldn't believe that this store's management wouldn't let normal employees do the right thing and clean up some tanks and save lives. I told her my concerns and she promised me she would sneak out and clean the tanks when her manager wasn't looking because it made her depressed too, so I was happy in that regard, but the nerve of that management!! I'm definitely going and complaining to them! This is unbelievable!

Well, I just brought the little guy home right now and decided I would check his original water's ammonia levels just to see how bad off he was. He could barely swim when I saw him in the store, so I knew his water HAD to be funky. And it is... Just did the ammonia test and my results go PAST 6.1 ON THE LIQUID TEST KIT READING. OH. MY. GOD. I have NEVER seen a pet store ammonia level THIS HIGH! Its no wonder all their fish were dying! I'm... so surprised this little guy is even alive right now. I'm thinking of calling their store and discussing this with their managers, what do you guys think?

and of course the pictures! Here is a picture of him acclimating! I'll snap another one later when I finally have him in his QT tank! He's currently floating in my sorority and oh boy do my girls LOVE him! He's constantly putting on a show for them, despite his little issues. I just know my parents will KILL me when they see how many fish I have now, but I consider doing these little rescues as more than worth it, and it feels so gratifying to see an animal you've rescued make a big comeback!
Attached Images

Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #2 
AkaRyu

He's handsome! And he doesn't look so bad after being in such deplorable conditions! That ammonia is ridiculous!
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #3 
Luimeril

:I if you're old enough, you should apply for a job there. since it's obvious they NEED someone in the fish section who can care for the fish. 8I

he doesn't look TOO bad... i'm sure clean, ammonia-free water will do wonders for him. he's beautiful!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #4 
Demysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
:I if you're old enough, you should apply for a job there. since it's obvious they NEED someone in the fish section who can care for the fish. 8I

he doesn't look TOO bad... i'm sure clean, ammonia-free water will do wonders for him. he's beautiful!
I unfortunately only live here for 8 months of the year for university, but I definitely will apply in September since its likely I will have a car by then. Lots of other customers were expressing how depressing the fish section was, so I also feel they need a well-informed person like me to help them.

And yeah, he definitely doesn't look bad in comparison to his ammonia readings! Its not visible in the picture, but there is a little spot of blacking on his tail, so he has developed a spot of fin rot from the store conditions, but so far so good! He's perked up immensely since I began to add fresh, clean water to his baggy. I'm sure he'll be just fine. I'm going to acclimate him for the full 2 hours just because of how bad that ammonia level was.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #5 
Demysta

UPDATE: Looks like this little guy has adjusted okay to his new temporary home. I was able to feed him just now, which means he'll likely be just fine. I've noticed he has a lot of trouble swimming, but I'm hoping he'll recover and regain his strength. I'll attach a pic of him in his home. He's really digging Alpha's (R.I.P) old lighthouse decoration and I'm always seeing him swimming around it or inside it. You can't see it in the pic but his eyes have a tinge of PINK in them! Oh I'm in love with this little rescue for sure I'm thinking of naming him Loras, the Knight of Flowers (if you get the reference, you are AWESOME)!
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #6 
percyfyshshelley

Good job! What a lucky fish and a handsome boy.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #7 
Nix

You should definitely complain to the management! Customers have that right in all other establishments, why not where life is actually affected? They should show more care and responsibility toward the pets they sell, ALL pets. None of this 'they're just fish' crap.

And he is a lovely little Tyrell boy x3

You need a Renly now... >.>
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #8 
Demysta

I have just submitted a nice, long, and knowledgeable letter to their management to hopefully open some eyes to the conditions these animals are in and the lack of experience and knowledge of the employees. I also included the details of the ammonia readings coming out of this store to make a better argument. Here's hoping they take my letter seriously and make a big change there!

Alas, I would give my dear, shy Loras his own Renly... but we both know what his fate will be. The night is long and full of terrors, after all. Super happy there are other GoT fans here on these forums!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #9 
Nix

No red ladies and Renly and Loras can be happy together... in the same house... or divided tank xD. Yes! Though I have yet to read the books xD
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #10 
kev

Thanks for rescuing the little guy. He looks happy. Keep us updated on how he's doing :)
kev is offline   Reply With Quote