Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #1 
PNP

Jazz's tail fin

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your advice when it appeared that Jazz had ick. It seems that increasing the temperature of his water has done the trick, though I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I've also mentioned in previous posts that he has a couple of raggedy edges on his fins, and now he seems to have a tear or split in the bottom half of his tail. (He's a double tail halfmoon.) I'm treating him with Stress Coat and aquarium salt, and the raggedy edges seem to be healing. Will it also help heal his tail?

I'm going to try to attach a photo. Sorry about the quality, but it shows his tail well. His dorsal fin isn't actually that short; it's just over a bit because he's so speedy!

Thanks!
Attached Images

PNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #2 
HeroicPoison

the stresscoat+ will help his tail heal for sure it just takes some time, i had a betta brought to me (he was an unwanted pet) and his fins were completely shredded. It has been 2 months and his fins are still healing. It just takes patients, clean warm water, and the stresscoat+ :)
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #3 
PNP

Thanks, Heroic. I've kept up on the Stress Coat and that split started to heal. Since then, he's shredded his tail pretty good.

This morning, I was doing a 100% water change, and while I was scrubbing his "cave," I found that it has sharp edges on the inside where he couldn't avoid rubbing against them. I also found that his silk plant has a sharp plastic stem with a point on it. So I gave him a small plant pot instead and replaced the plastic plant with some new live plants.

So now he doesn't have anything that he can tear his fins on (I hope!) and I'm hoping that clean, warm water and Stress Coat will help him heal.
PNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #4 
HeroicPoison

Another thing to watch out for is filters... one of my HMs tail got sucked into the filter and it got shredded, so keep an eye on that as well... if u notice its too strong you can use nylon to cover it... it will muffle your filter a little bit but it will keep his fins out of it.
with my poor shredded rescue i mentioned earlier the current from my filter was strong enough to tear his already fragile fins. I used nylon on that as well... I have discovered nylon is very handy to have :)
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote