Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #11 
adambiser

OK, here's the latest update.

I went to the store and had them test unconditioned tap water again, first for ammonia and again I'm not sure they left the strip in the water long enough. It read 0.5 immediately after pulling the strip out of the water. Then he used a multi-test strip and said things looked fine. The water was slightly hard, but nothing serious.

After he said that, I compared the ammonia strip to the chart again (a minute at most had passed) and it was reading 6.0! When I pointed this out, he said that the ammonia test strips will continue to darken in the air. Is this true or does the tap water really have 6.0 ppm?

When I got home, I added 4 more drops of Prime to each bowl (they were in Maracyn II recovering). The next day it was like a complete 180! They were both extremely active and alert compared to their usual lethargic state from the previous weeks/months.

I continued the Maracyn II treatment for the full 5 days and looked them both over to make sure the redness of the fin tips was gone.

I took them out of the Maracyn and used 8 drops of Prime to condition the tap water and they both did very well for about 10-12 days, but right after the most recent water change two days ago, I noticed them becoming lethargic again and I know I added Prime. Today the fins had bright red tips again. I'm not quite sure what to do now.
adambiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

6 ppm is toxic- it probably would have killed the fish.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #13 
adambiser

OK. Thanks for the info. Then 0.5 ppm is closer to the correct value. I know the strips aren't the most accurate, but it's what I can do at the moment.

I hope/plan to get the aforementioned API Test Kit at the end of the month so I can monitor things more closely and accurately.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #14 
Starfish1

Yes the ammonia test strips darken, you have to look at them RIGHT away.

What was your ph at?

Also, how hard was the water?

They have API liquid tests on ebay, i got a ph one for like $6 so you could probably get that one and an ammonia one for about $12.

If you still have them in one gallon tanks you could just use bottled water in the meantime, you would have to somehow heat it up though before putting the fish in. Or you could put them in bigger tanks like say a 3 gal and then do 33% water changes which would be one gallon each change and use bottled water for that. That's what I would do.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #15 
adambiser

ph was "good"... I didn't get to see the actual number fast enough before he took the test away.

He did say that the water was slightly hard, but not too much. Again, no specific number for the same reason.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #16 
Starfish1

Next time make them write it down... there's no such thing as a ph of "good" ;)

In all seriousness though the ph and water hardness can play a factor in betta's tails so I'm interested to know what those are. I'd bring a sample of your tap water and then a sample of like 2 day old tank water (you have 1 gallons right?) and have them write down what each comes out at for ammonia, ph, hardness, alkalinity, nitrate, nitrite.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #17 
adambiser

I will do that and take along a pen and paper. Just one gallons still. Haven't been able to upgrade that yet.

I just changed the water this evening, so I'll test it out on Thursday. The thing is that most of what I see happens immediately after a water change.

I decided against the Maracyn II this water change. Just tap and Prime. No Melafix, no salt. I'll be watching them closely to see what the redness does.

I appreciate the help from everyone!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #18 
Starfish1

Sure! Let us know as soon as you get those water parameters.. in really interested in what those are
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #19 
sunlight

I hope they will get better:(
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #20 
ANHEL123

Just want to say if they acting healthy and eating i would also take them off medications. And like everyone said that Prime change ammonia to ammonium which is the less dangerous of both. It only lasts two days though so that is why it is very important to do 2-3 different water changes a week.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote