Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #1 
Nibblez

Ada

I had a long talk to my nearest aquarium shop recently about NPTs and he has quite a lot of beautiful tank setups as well as a few for customers, I was discussing my plan to start a new NPT and he started recommending ADA tanks and substrates if i was going to start a NPT. He showed me a few of his setups as well and it looks pretty complex even with a CO2 system.

I'm absolutely new to aquariums and owning bettas. I have zero knowledge when i first started (which i regretted) but i'm trying to learn about everything i can as well as water testing. Is ADA good? Would it be recommended and any good if i was going to start a NPT?
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #2 
Fieldz

ADA is one of the best available. It was created by Takashi Amano, the father of planted tanks. The high price is because of their difference in quality. If you have the money and you want a professional looking tank, go for it.

Last edited by Fieldz; 04-07-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #3 
Otterfun

My boss had one in his office for crystal shrimps. The glass is very clear, you are paying for the workmanship of the tank, very well sealed and you can barely see the sealant. If you have the money, it's a treat.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

ADA is considered basically the top of the range for anything aquascaping related. Think of it as like the Ferrari of the aquascaping world.

However, there are some things ADA sells that are just clever advertising. I believe some of the substrate additives for example do basically nothing but empty your wallet.

A cheaper option is the Do!Aqua range of tanks and equipment. This is supposed to be aimed more towards newcomers to the planted tank scene.

I do love the ADA soils and so do my plants. The only downside is the initial ammonia spike but this provides a way of fishless cycling your tank.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #5 
Nibblez

Oh yeah, is there any difference between Do!Aqua and ADA? Cause when he showed me the tank, it was a Do!Aqua tank but it did also have ADA stamped on the bottom as well. I will probably ask the shop owner about the ADA substrate additives.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Do! Aqua is an ADA series :D
If you are looking at rimless tanks You should take a look at the truaqua low iron high clarity rimless tanks, they're much cheaper and equally as beautiful
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

It looks like the OP is in Australia (did not even notice when I first posted) so Trueaqua is not available here.

What we do however, have available is YiDing brand of tank which is basically identical (when you get the 'crystal' glass) to ADA. I think there was some talk that YiDing is the OEM of ADA.

ADA is ridiculously priced here. I paid over $1000 (plus freight) for my 90x45x45 Do!Aqua tank. To get it ADA was about double that. Ridiculous.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

o_O you go all out when it comes to shiny tanks dont you LBF >.>
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Haha that was back when I was rich. And you know who lives in the most expensive tank in my house...the goldfish!

You can't really surpass the workmanship on brands like ADA, Do!Aqua and YiDing. Only difference between the Do!Aqua and the ADA tanks is the sticker is different and the glass on the Do!Aqua tanks is standard rather than low iron.

I do love low iron glass, but I honestly think it is not worth spending extra money to get it when everything else is identical in quality.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #10 
Otterfun

so what is so special about low-iron glass? clarity?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote