Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #1 
Betty39

White spots on eyes!

Hi all,

This place has been a great source of info for a beginner and I hope to contribute my own knowledge once I have a bit more! For now - a question. I have seen other posts on this, but no info on a resolution so far.

My female has a white spot on each of her eyes. They've been there for almost a week and look like they are on the surface of the lens. She seems as active as usual (she charged the glass and spread her gills at me today), with maybe a slight drop in appetite.

I'll post all the water parameters and my treatment in a post below this one but thought I'd just give the description to make it easier to find for others. I'll try some pics in this post so you can see what I'm talking about.

Other quick observations - she has a grey patch on her head/snout that you can clearly see in one if the pics. It has been there since I can remember, we got her a year ago June.

You can also see that her poop is somewhat light and stringy. This has come and gone in the past, I haven't tried to correlate it with appetite.

And finally, she has recently started hanging around the bottom of the tank (see pics) which I have seen associated with sick fish, though she looks pretty good while doing it. No hard breathing or other signs of stress.

Any thoughts on the spots and general health of Betty would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Betty39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #2 
Betty39

Water parameters

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 79-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes - vertical tetra w/ carbon filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A mirror (for now)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon pellets and fd blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? normally once a week, more often in the last week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0 (liquid test)
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.5
Hardness: N?A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White spots on eyes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Slightly reduced appetite
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 50% water change every other day, Aquarium salt 1/2 teaspoon/gal for last 5 days
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I switched her to the 5 gallon 6 weekd ago and cycled it with her in, the change did stress her out for awhile (low appetite, clamped fins)
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year (?)
Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #3 
Betty39

Follow up

I haven't heard from anyone but thought I'd follow up with how things are in the event its useful to anyone.

I have maintained every other day water changes (50-80%) with aquarium salt for 4 days without any change. After researching and discussing with some other fish folks it seemed that it could be the beginnings of pop-eye, though Betty's eyes don't seem abnormal - unless I look at them too long and let my imagination take hold.

So yesterday after an 80% water change I added half the dose of aquarium salt (1/4 tsp/gallon) and added some melafix. The latter was a hard decision as there is so much differing info and opinions on proper treatment, but given my access to anti-biotics (nil at the moment) my inability to gain certainty over what Betty actually suffers from, and the possibility that it might just be an eye injury, I decided it made the most sense.

I used 1/5 of the recommended dosage given all the hype over Melafix's potential negative effects on Bettas - essentially dosing her with Bettafix. I will up the dose slightly over the next couple of days but keep it well below label recommendations.

Chime in if you have any thoughts!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #4 
Khaleesi

Hello, I'm no expert by any means, but I think increased water changes and aq. salt treatments would be best for now.

I was thinking it might be ick (which can show up on the eyes) or maybe something internal because of her poop (I remember seeing something on this forum associating white stringy poop with internal parasites). But I didn't see any other white spots on her body, so maybe it isn't ick.

Have you noticed any changes in her vision?

Good luck with treating her!
Khaleesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #5 
Betty39

Thanks for your input. I had debated just keeping with the water changes but my water parameters were perfect before the spots set in and I was consistent with upkeep so I wasn't sure what more of the same could do. Its honestly a lot of guesswork - you're right about stringy poop pointing to parasites but how is that related to spots on her eyes? I thought ich too, but with good water parameters and the spots being just on her eyes, it didn;t seem likely. I've already started melafix so I'll keep with it at lower, safe doses and keep doing big water changes every day or two. No change in vision that I've noticed.

Maybe she has more than one thing going on? Sure wish fish could talk...
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #6 
Betty39

Quick update: I'm on the last of seven days treating with Melafix (1/5 suggested dose on bottle, comparable to bettafix). Spots are still present on eyes, but after adding melafix Betty seemed more energetic and is eating considerably better. She attacks her food with even more vigor and can eat whole pellets - I was having to crush them and feed her smaller bits, otherwise she would spit them out.

I will keep up with 70% water changes every other day, monitor parameters and think about next course of action. Her vision is still fine, but it can seem like her eyes are a little more "bugged out", though not enough for me to rule out that I'm just paying closer attention and "seeing" something that's been there all along.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #7 
Haseo

I'm also experiencing the white spots over the eyes with an exception of the other issues your experiencing. He is his normal self and Ive had him about 2 years now

Haseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #8 
Betty39

Good to know - thanks for the input. Has yours had the spots for the whole 2 years or just more recently?

Great pic btw.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #9 
Haseo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty39 View Post
Good to know - thanks for the input. Has yours had the spots for the whole 2 years or just more recently?

Great pic btw.
Thanks
I just noticed the spots about a week ago. If I find out anything that could help with this issue ill let you know.
Haseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #10 
Betty39

Quick update - Betty's eyes went from distinct spots on the eyes to rings that look more like cataracts, though I'm no expert on what those look like. I'll post pics at some point. She is still eating and active, though I noticed during weekly water change yesterday that she has what could be the beginning of fin rot. Its all very confusing as I had her in a 1 gallon tank that I did 100% changes on once a week for almost a year and she never got sick. Now, in a 5 gallon that is cycled, heated, parameters checked (always good) and changed weekly, she has had issues.