Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #1 
Agility4fun

RCS Shrimp - how many?

Do the same rules apply about 1 gallon/1" of fish to shrimp?

Eventually I want to have an all shrimp tank in one of my planted 2.65g tanks. Wondering how many will work?
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #2 
aemaki09

depends on what type of shrimp.

With RCS, you could fit 10/gallon with no problems...but with larger types you'll need more room.

For a 2.65, I'm gonna suggest to start with 10, maybe 15. They breed like rabbits so you'll have that tank full in no time!

I'd actually suggest getting something larger if possible. Since they do breed a lot your going to end up with a ton of shrimplets within a few months. They are a pretty good money maker too so you'll probably want to have as much room for new babies as possible.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #3 
Agility4fun

Thanks Aemaki09!

LOL...10 or 15??? I was hoping I could get 5 or 6. Any issues with even or odd numbers?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #4 
aemaki09

Nope! No problems with anything like that. They can even be kept as a single or in the hundreds. They are some of the most docile and hardy shrimp you can get so basically you can keep them however you want with no issues.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #5 
Silverfang

with cherries I recommend you start with a trio, or even six. 2 female to 1 male ratio. They are easy to sex. Females are larger, brighter, and have a curved underbelly.

If conditions are good you will have four females with bellies of eggs soon enough! Also, females will have a saddle, you can see the yellowish blob at the base of the head/back. That is unfertilized eggs.

Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #6 
Agility4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
with cherries I recommend you start with a trio, or even six. 2 female to 1 male ratio. They are easy to sex. Females are larger, brighter, and have a curved underbelly.

If conditions are good you will have four females with bellies of eggs soon enough! Also, females will have a saddle, you can see the yellowish blob at the base of the head/back. That is unfertilized eggs.

Maybe 3 does sound a little better if they're going to breed like crazy. I should also check with my LFS to see if they want some!

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #7 
Aluka

I know someone that kept 500 cherries in his 3 gal before selling them off =/ they are hardy

also dont buy fron the pet store. Buy online at shrimp/plant forums, they go for about 1 dollar each. (pet store sells them for 5-6 each) =/.....
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #8 
aemaki09

I'm actually selling my Juvies for .50 a piece right now if your interested, have to sell them for so cheap because I have over 100 stuck in a 2 gallon critter keeper because my other fish will eat them, they are only 7-8 weeks old. Shipping is $12.50 though so I don't know if it'd be with it. If your only getting 3-4 it'd end up being cheaper going to an LFS because of shipping costs
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #9 
Laki

Check around with online classifieds. That's how I got mine. I bought 12-13 random RCS from some dude off kijiji. Only two have died since I got them in January.

Stores and classifieds and people with fish that eat shrimp will buy yours up hen they breed. I had a problem with planaria so I don't know of some of my females dropped their eggs because of that but beware of oddball tank bugs!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #10 
Agility4fun

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Even though my LFS charges $3 for their shrimp, I kinda want to support my local store. They're pretty cool people and super knowledgeable.

This will have to wait anyway while my 9 year and I argue about what to put in our new 10g tank!!