Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #1 
thekoimaiden

Sitting by the Koi Pond - my fish and fishkeeping blog

In April 2012 I started a fish blog that covers topics from fishkeeping to fish conservation. Bettas (being one of my favorite fish) will be a large focus of my blog, but I will also post many articles about fishkeeping in general. I plan to publish approximately one article per week with some weeks having minor droughts and others having downpours (so to speak ). I am a very visual person and like to include pictures of the fish that I talk about.

The blog main link: Sitting by the Koi Pond

When I post a new article I will add a snip-it as well as the article here. I have already posted 13 articles which can be found on the lower right-hand side of the main page.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 05-29-2012 at 02:16 AM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Best and Worst Beginner Fish

My most recently published article detailing good and bad beginner fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy @ Sitting by the Koi Pond
I see a lot of people ask “what fish should I start with?” I also see a lot of people starting with fish that they were lead to thinking were easy. Most people want a tank full of beautifully colored fish. I understand this, but often the most beautiful fish are also much more delicate. However, there are some very pretty and hardy fish with which you can start your hobby. They may not look like much in the store tanks, but once you get them home and into a good setup, they will show their true colors for you.

Through personal experience and discussion with other aquarists, I have gathered a list of fish that are good for the budding fishkeeper. These fish were chosen for their hardiness (ability to survive a cycle and live in less than ideal conditions), adaptability (can live in a wide range of parameters), small size (ideal for the first aquarium), and peacefulness. I have also compiled a list of fish that beginners should avoid for various reasons such as size, aggressiveness, and sensitivity.
Sitting by the Koi Pond: Best and Worst Beginner Fish Click for the full article including pictures
Old 05-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #3 
sparkyjoe

Just brilliant, Izzy! I loved the article on Best & Worst Beginner fish. I also enjoyed reading about your various tank setups.

I subscribed to your blog and I look forward to future articles!
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #4 
thekoimaiden

11 May Update

Woah it's been a while since I updated my blog. Writer's block and a busy life have kept me from it. So instead of publishing my normal fishkeeping tips, I've gone on a mild comedic diversion. Enjoy!

Sea Monsters on film!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

New fish with pics!

Wow. Two blog posts in a week. I'm on fire. I'm just making up for the drought of the past two weeks. Well not really; this post wasn't planned. Went in for plants and supplies, came out with a fish!

My Tanks: 14 June Update
Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Betta Fish Awareness Day 2012

Finally. I'm back to writing in my blog on a weekly basis. Since today is Betta Fish Awareness Day, I thought I would make a post about promoting proper betta care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy @ Sitting by the koi pond
Let's face it. There is a problem with the way most store sell bettas (and goldfish). While regulations against small tanks might do a bit, a betta in a dirty, unheated 2.5 gallon bowl isn't better off than a betta in a clean, heated 1 gallon bowl. The only way to save these beautiful fish from that horrible fate is to educate the public and pet store workers. And that is what today is all about.
Betta Fish Awareness Day 2012
Old 06-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

The heat wave that has been hitting the eastern US has got me thinking about pools and how neat it would be to swim with my fish. Thanks to Tikibirds, I discovered natural swimming pools. How I would love to have one of these things in my backyard. Read the full article for some general information and more gorgeous pictures. Natural Swimming Pools

Old 07-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

That is beautiful.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Thanks, DQ! I wish I had the land and the money to afford one of those!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Goldfish Petition

A young girl in England has started a petition to put an end to fairground goldfish. If you hate this practice as much as I do, please help her. Maybe the US will follow suit and put an end to any animal being given away as a prize.

An end to fairground goldfish?